Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wine talk 🍷

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We did a strip loin roast for NYE and took it tour our good friends house (was incredible, cooked on the kettle with no wood smoke to a perfect just below medium rare). To pair with the meat, our friends busted out an incredible 2011 Chateauneuf du pape that was originally a wedding gift from my wife and I.

A great wine paired perfectly with food is an incredible experience, and this was no exception. If you ever feel like splurging on a great red, anything from Chateauneuf du pape is pretty darn good in my experience.

There is a pic attached of the roast in which you can see the small dish of juice I collected from the foil that I cambro'd in for 45 minutes while the herd of guests arrived. Everyone else was too grossed out by the juice which was great because there was more for me. Meat dipped in juice followed by that wine was heaven.

Last edited by bbqoaf; January 7, 2016, 11:12 AM.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks good from some online reviews (rated 91) and decently priced too. I have never seen it though, of course I didn't know to look but I will now.

• bbqoaf
      bbqoaf commented
      Editing a comment
      Huskee, that is not the exact bottle we tried, I just wanted to post a pic of a Chateauneuf bottle. If you are going to drop the $ required, just make sure you read the tasting notes to see when it is meant to be consumed (the one we had was meant to be drunk between 2014 and 2017).

Anything from them is amazing, just like most French wine.

• richinlbrg
      richinlbrg commented
      Editing a comment
      We like that, too! Excellent

I love Chateauneuf du Pape with hearty winter stews like Boeuf Bourginon served over roasted garlic mashed potatoes. Haven't tried it with steak. Heck why not, I'm asking myself.

That roast looks gorgeous, bbqoaf . congrats!

Kathryn
    Last edited by fzxdoc; January 7, 2016, 12:43 PM.

Comment

• bbqoaf
      bbqoaf commented
      Editing a comment
      Speaking my language, Boeuf Bourginon is the best.

FWIW there's absolutely nothing wrong with good French wines ... except many times the price. Over the past few years, we've discovered that for every French grape and style there's almost always an equivalent of equal quality to be found from Spain, Italy, Greece, and/or Portugal ... usually at a much more wallet-friendly price point. For example, check out some of the Spanish cavas vs. French champagnes. Believe it or not, Croatia also produces some really amazing (albeit hard to find here in the U.S.) wines, too.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Word.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      MBMorgan bbqoaf is that similar to the Napa premium? Henrik what are your favorite wine regions? Any European regions you know of that might be unheard of here in the states...like Sweden for instance?

• bbqoaf
      bbqoaf commented
      Editing a comment
      Huskee I assume it is, and the tiny little republic of Georgia makes some really nice reds.

I forgot about this when I was posting before. I tasted some really great wines in Missouri, believe it or not. They have many vineyards in "Missouri Wine Country" and some of them are really good.

Comment

• bbqoaf
      bbqoaf commented
      Editing a comment
      I had no idea, I'll Keep my eyes open for a Missouri wine, thanks.

Replying to Huskee's question above: We definitely don't have any wine in Sweden, except the odd 'entrepreneur' making a few bottles. It's just too darn cold here. For regions, I really do these in particular:

California
    Anything from the higher end of Robert Mondavi. I've been there a few times, and I kept buying a 2006 cab that was out of this world. I think it was around 120 bucks a bottle, so not cheap, but absolutely fantastic. I'd buy it again and again.

Chile/Argentina
    They have so many great Pinotage/Pinot Noir/Malbec, it's just incredible. For all us meat eaters, there is so much to choose from. And, at very affordable prices. I usually buy them for 10-15 bucks a bottle.
    Here's one (Trapiche Malbec).

France
    Well, I do like the Languedoc region, and any solid Bourgogne

Italy
    Any (real) amarone or Barolo puts a big smile on my face. The barolos tend to require a few year's storage before they blossom though. Here's a great amarone (Capitel del Roari).

Germany
    A good riesling is always nice. The trick is to skip the cheapest ones, so you get the fresh mineral character of a riesling, but without the sugary sweetness. Kung Fu Girl is a nice cheap option here.

I should state that in general I like more full-bodied wines. The more flavor the better.

I realize I should compile a proper list, with links to each bottle. I haven't bought any wine online, simply because it is more or less prohibited to do your own importing of alcoholic beverages in Sweden (yes, we have a really strange relationship with alcohol here...). Let me do that and get back to you all.

Comment

• richinlbrg
      richinlbrg commented
      Editing a comment
      Some really good recommendations here, Henrik !

We buy a languedoc by the case. Some great South American wines!

To add to the regional discussion, you can't go wrong with a Sauv Blanc from New Zealand for a light, delicious, budget friendly sipping white.

Comment

I bought a Spanish wine a few days ago. It was so good I went and got a full case of them. I'm not usually a big fan of Spanish wines, but at the same time I can't really say why. Either way, this was a hit, thought I'd share it. It's a cabernet sauvignon, real fresh. Great for sipping, as well as with food (like red meat). Very fruity.

Think I will challenge myself and explore Spanish wines a bit more.

ΓƒΒ’Γ’β€šΒ¬Γ’β‚¬ΒΉ Click image for larger version

Name:	wine.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	134415

Comment

One of my vendors from work gave me a bottle of Stonestreet Christopher's Cabernet for Christmas. Christopher is her brother in law and a winemaker at the Sonoma county winery. Sonoma is Napa's lesser known neighbor. Anyway, we opened the bottle on New Year's Eve and thoroughly enjoyed it - one of the best Cab's I have had in a long time. Then I looked it up, and when I found out it was $125 a bottle, I decided not to buy a case! But I hope to get another bottle next year.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          I tend to buy more Sonoma wines than Napa but they're quite varying in quality, at least in the $10-15 range. If I wasn't such a cheapskate I'd buy better stuff. I would never ever buy a $125 bottle, but if I did it had better be amazing!

Scandal in Napa?

Here's a very interesting article on Napa vintner Jeff Hill's (Hill Winery) current scandal and accusations of theft and other misconduct. The story is very interesting to me since I had just purchased 3 bottles of one of the very wines discussed toward the end of the article, before reading it. Invino.com, an online wine seller that I enjoy using, sells these previously illegal to sell Cabernets now relabeled (and as such, legal again) as "UnReal Red Blend". Invino's description of the wine & its story makes perfect sense now that I know the full story. "Un Real" is a play on words. Anyway, if the wine lives up to its hype I feel this will be an absolute steal of a deal on some great red- they're selling it for $19.99/bottle and free shipping on 3 bottles.

PS if anyone wants to buy some of these through Invino, PM me your email and I'll send you an invite. Then I get a credit and some free wine, wink wink!
        Last edited by Huskee; January 18, 2016, 03:25 AM.

Comment

Interesting article, Huskee. Thanks for the read.

Kathryn

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            2.5 years later I still have 1 bottle of this that I've been saving.

Thanks Kathryn fzxdoc. I got my hands on some more Cline AVZ last week, this time the new 2014. I was leery with a new vintage but man is it good. I think it is the best $13 wine there is.

Comment

Haven't tried the 2014 Cline AVZ yet, Huskee. Good to hear that it's kept up its tastiness into the newer vintage.

Have you tried Conundrum California Red? It's really tasty; slightly more pricey than the Cline zin, but worth it, IMO. My stepdaughter took a few bottles of it from my collection back home with her at the end of her Christmas visit, she loved it so much. It's a hit with our family.

Kathryn
            Last edited by fzxdoc; January 18, 2016, 07:14 PM.

Comment

fzxdoc No I haven't heard of it or seen it, but wasn't looking for it either- you know how that goes. I Googled it to get a picture of the label though and I will watch for it.

This topic has got me watching for 3 or 4 wines now..

Comment

Found this online this morning ... pretty helpful graphic:
                Attached Files

Comment

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Wine Folly is great for no-nonsense explanations and they have awesome visuals like this and many others.

MBMorgan Wow, that is cool! I've tried explaining to some friends that petite sirah is very bold and tannic, but the "petite" in the name often throws people. Also, I have had some Zinfandels that are potent, I'd place a good Zinfandel a little higher up in the list...but then again it's all so very subjective and at the mercy of the particular vintage/locale/winemaker/ and the taster's threshold for acidity, tannins, etc etc etc. I suppose these types of things are like saying which is the best wood for BBQ, ha ha.

I think this is a very good chart thanks for posting!

Comment

• MBMorgan
                  MBMorgan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah ... I was also surprised at Zinfandel's placement on the chart (below Cab??) but it kinda makes sense because those Zin tannins don't translate solely/directly to "boldness" (a highly subjective quality). In the article where I found the chart, they said that it's really intended to help with selecting similarly "bold" wines.

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah MBMorgan I'd place Zinfandel in the peppery boldness and Cabs in the tannic boldness categories. Both bold though, and both amazing yet different. I'd at least place it above Malbec.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here