Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wine talk 🍷

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Huskee I try not to cellar a bottle for several years unless there is a recommendation to do so. More often than not, at least under my storage conditions, it can be dicey. I keep wines for about 5 years at the most. I'm not a wine connoisseur, I just like to have good-tasting wines available for entertaining and for hostess gifts, as well as for our dinner. If I can get a deal on something we like, I lay in a few bottles of it. When one of the local stores has a 20% off wine by the case (mixed as well as one-note cases), I take advantage of it. I always get a bottle or two for free that way.

For a long while we were one of the last dry counties in the state, so having to drive an hour to a liquor store to get wine was a pain. Now we're still a dry county but the township itself is wet, so wine is more available to us.

Kathryn

Comment

• Tim
      Tim commented
      Editing a comment
      Good point. Don't bother aging wine unless you are very confident of the storage conditions. Mainly I worry about large temperature fluctuations and extended exposure to heat (above 70 or 75F). Direct sunlight and excessively dry conditions are no good either.

I'm an absolute homer when it comes to wines. We've been drinking Livermore Valley offerings. Right now, the Wente Riva Ranch Chardonnay and Grenache are our favorites.

We have a membership to Wente, and several of our friends have memberships to other local wineries, so we all get together and run the circuit when the wineries host their parties...

*hic*

Comment

Huskee LIke I said, I am really only familiar with California reds. That said, I don't try to cellar for more than a year unless the wines are 'designed' to be aged. That is really a low percentage of them, because wine making is driven by the market. Most people age their wines only as long as it takes them to get home from the store. As I said, I go to a lot of wineries, and the winemaker or someone knowledgeable will usually give you a straight answer on the ageability of a particular wine. Also, higher end liquor stores often have a wine buyer who can make recommendations.

A couple of years ago we went to a tasting hosted my the founder of a local winery (his son has since taken over). We were tasting Cabs from the early 60's on from his private collection. All were good, but aged wine takes on a totally different character, and is somewhat of an acquired taste. More recently, one of our favorite wineries found three cases of their 2004 reserve cab that were hiding in a corner. A friend and I bought them all, and the wine was spectacular. It's original retail price was around $30 and it aged well.

Comment

• Tim
        Tim commented
        Editing a comment
        You're absolutely right about aged wines being very different from what most people know and like. They get softer and feel sweeter, tannins drop, fruit drops, secondary and tertiary notes like mushroom creep in. The Brits love it. Most Americans are not so thrilled. I'd much prefer to catch a wine a little early than a little late...

Livermoron We used to camp a lot at Del Valle, and we always made the round of the area wineries. There are some great wines being made out there. The Wente nth Degree wines were very good, and we always enjoyed the Murieta's Well offerings. I remember when the Stephen Kent tasting room had a huge wheel of Parmagiano Reggiano set out for pairing with the wines. Yummy. There was a wine club years ago where you could buy into the process of making your own wine with the wimemaker's tutelage. I made a barrel of Cab from Napa grapes, which is 24 cases. It was a 2006 vintage, and the last bottle was served at this year's Thanksgiving. Very sad to see it gone. Making your own wine certainly gives you an appreciation of the amount of work that goes into the process, and why it is as costly as it is.

Comment

• Livermoron
        Livermoron commented
        Editing a comment
        Yno Del Valle is fun, but right now I believe swimming's closed off due to a toxic algae outbreak.

I would love to take a shot at making my own wine & beer...just to understand the process involved...

Ohmigosh, Yno , serving chubby reds with a wheel of Parmigiano Reggiano sounds like heaven. I know a lot of folks say that the best red wine cheese is aged Manchego, but I prefer PR. That bit of saltiness along with a full-bodied red is so yummy. Now I'm looking forward to zero-cocktail-thirty time tonight!

Kathryn

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm with you on that one, Parmigiano is just incredible with a solid red. That's what I usually munch on while cooking :-)

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Me too, @Henrik!

K.

fzxdoc Manchego and other sheep's mild cheeses are very good, but once I started pairing goat's milk cheeses I was hooked! One of my favorites, and one that is easy to come by (think Amazon), is Midnight Moon by Cypress Grove Chevre. A wheel of that and a bottle of cab and I am in heaven!

Comment

I'm doing a brisket for Christmas (12lb untrimmed, Costco Prime packer) and I'm planning on pairing it with a nice California Cab or russian river Pinot. I've not tried paring brisket with wine previously... primarily it's a party cook with some quailty craft beers in attendance. Anyone have a favorite profile that they have found appealing? And the christmas brisket was chosen as the wife is on call (volunteer EMT) from 6am to noon. should she get a call, i can faux cambro it till she returns...

Comment

CurlingDog , I like a Hearty Zinfandel with brisket especially with MMBR on that brisket.. The peppery notes on the Zin seem to suit the brisket perfectly.

kathryn

Comment

• CurlingDog
            CurlingDog commented
            Editing a comment
            Excellent call! fzxdoc ! I have a couple of Bogle Old Vine Zin bottles that is my old trusty go-to in that regard... I use it a lot in my spaghetti sauces. Just last night after curling in league, the other team produced a couple of bottles of the Ravenwood 2011 OVZ that was out-freek'n-standing.

I'm a Cab fiend myself - I think it goes with everything. But I might go with a good Merlot, such as Duckhorn. Zins and I don't usually get along, but if that flavor profile suits you, and you find one you like, that would be a good choice. A nice Syrah would probably work well, also. However, it really comes down to personal preference. I came across an article that told of a BBQ and wine pairing at none other than Franklin BBQ, with Aaron, Stacy, and some winey (not whiny!) people.

What should you drink with authentic Texas barbecue? Beer would be the traditional bevvy but could wine - especially American wine - work just as well?

Comment

I'm a fan of most all Napa Valley Cabs. Cakebread, Jordan and Groth are favorites!

Comment

A wino is someone who drinks out of the paper bag. A wineaux uses a glass!

"I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food!"
              Unkown

Comment

• (T Cap)
                (T Cap) commented
                Editing a comment
                quote is hanging in my kitchen.

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                I can picture Julia Child saying that.

My wife and I love the New Zealand Sauvignon Blancs from the Marlborough area.
              There are also two new wines I just discovered at a wine tasting. They are Australian wines called "19 Crimes". They have a red blend, which I loved, and one of the best Cabernets I have ever tasted.

Comment

• bbqoaf
                bbqoaf commented
                Editing a comment
                Can't go wrong with a New Zealand Sauv Blanc for a casual sipping white.

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                I'll be watching for 19 Crimes cabernet, thanks!

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Awww man, just yesterday I was picking up some reds and I seen 19 Crimes and thought it sounded familiar but I skipped past it. Dernnit. I forgot about this post.

Good suggestions, Thunder77. I'm going to give 19 Crimes a try. As far as Sauvignon Blancs go, you had me at Marlborough. So fresh and grassy tasting. Yum!

Kathryn

Comment

• Thunder77
                Thunder77 commented
                Editing a comment
                Be sure to let me know what you think about them!

Just ran across a great chardonnay for anyone who likes chards. Rombauer - a nice buttery oak flavor. Goes GREAT with cheese!

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                My wife LOVES chardonnays that are buttery & oaky. Thanks!

• richinlbrg
                richinlbrg commented
                Editing a comment
                Well since I am on a roll.....
                For a good heaty steak, we like both The Prisoner(Napa) and Belle Glos (Pinot noir). Both hold up well to a robust steak (we usually season with Montreal).

Tonight I'm making Buffalo wings on the kettle w/ the SnS. I was curious if any wine would work well with the classic hot wing, or if I should just stick with a good beer.... so I went to WineSpectator.com to read their thoughts.

Looks like their choice of red with hot wings is Zinfandel. Their choice of white is an off-dry (semi dry) Riesling.
              Wines they say to skip with wings is Pinot Noir and Chardonnay. I have a cabernet opened. What to do, what to do. A cab is generally spicy like a Zin so I think I'm good.

I found this interesting, since I never thought wings were a wine food (and maybe they're really not) but it's good to know some pros out there actually tested this!

If anyone cares the article is here.

Comment

• bbqoaf
                bbqoaf commented
                Editing a comment
                Kung Fu Girl Riesling would be a good choice (easy on the wallet too!). Not too dry, but not sickeningly sweet like a lot of Rieslings (I personally hate really sweet wine except for ice wine, which is a desert in and of itself).

If I am ever going to pair Asian food with wine, I go with Kung Fu Girl as it works with the intense sweet/sour/savoury flavours of Asian cuisine. I haven't done it with buffalo wings before, but I would imagine it would work very well.

• Tim
                Tim commented
                Editing a comment
                If the wings are spicy a kabinett level German Riesling is perfect. Not too sweet but just enough to balance against the spice. I would avoid tannic reds.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here