Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wine talk 🍷

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DJBODA
    replied
    As a retired wine distributor who sold small vineyard and small importer's wines, I found the numbers game fascinating. On more than one occasion one publication would score 200X Wine A at 93 points and another publication would score 200X Wine A at 78 points. I've seen wine critics working for a particular publication (although not at the same time) critique an identical wine with quite different scores. Although I'm not a numbers fan they have a place for someone new to wine who wants to be a serious student. The numbers are the writer's opinion period. Confusing? yes, but find a wine critic who you can agree with often and there's your start. I still advocate finding a good wine shop with knowledgeable staff and picking their brain. We all started with milk in some form of container and only learned about "adult beverages" later in life. Don't be timid and please DON'T BE INTIMIDATED; it's fun finding a wine you've never heard of from some obscure country that you can enjoy and share with friends.

Leave a comment:

• ecowper
    commented on 's reply
    I've got several hundred Red Solo cups in the garage, come on over

• Potkettleblack
    replied
    There's a good narrative about wine scoring in SOMM: Into the Bottle, the sequel to SOMM. If you're into wine in a big way, both very enjoyable watches.

Leave a comment:

• Yno
    replied
    Some of the wineries are so outrageously fancy that 75% of the wine's cost has to be going for the building. I have seen some major price increases in some of the wines I like when they upgraded the tasting facilities. The wine didn't get two or three times as good, but the price skyrocketed. As far as reviews go, I read reviews on wines, restaurants, hotels, etc. and I have learned to take them with a grain of salt. I remember a review of a Michelin starred restaurant that I like, and the complaint was that they didn't serve a full eight ounce glass of wine with each of the five courses on a pairing menu. If they had, though, the reviewer probably wouldn't be capable of writing!

Leave a comment:

• Potkettleblack
    commented on 's reply
    Like I said, many Napa wineries are seemingly owned by James Bond villains.

• Atalanta
    replied
    There's a scoring system?

I go by what appeals to me. I like some Chile, Australia, CA, WA, whatever. If the label appeals to me, or the price, or something that gets my attention. PA wines, IMO, are best if you go for the sweeter wines, when they try to go dry they're often off. I love touring wineries and tasting. I've been to CA twice, once to Sonoma and once to Napa. In Napa there was this persian palace (darioush) that was serious eye candy and as we walked up people coming up kept telling us to not even bother.

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    50 bottles in a month? A man who loves his wine Welcome to The Pit! We'd love to get an intro from you over in the Introduce Yourself channel when you get a minute. https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...troductions-aa

• MBMorgan
    commented on 's reply
    Hey ... plastic works! (been there, done that)

• l'inferno
    commented on 's reply
    Word!

• l'inferno
    replied
    I used the scoring system on myself today professionally and psychologically. I gave myself a 79. Tasting notes were "The disappointment of the initial fat and flabbiness is only matched by a mediocre mid pallette. No need for cellaring as development with aging is highly unlikely."

But I'm having wine now and I may reevaluate. Hoping for an 80 qualified with "Good intentions."

Have a good night. The comments on this post are rock-on. I'd drink wine with you dudes any day. And out of paper cups. -

*(well... might need to be plastic) (jest)

Leave a comment:

• Potkettleblack
    commented on 's reply
    Sure. Also, how consistent is anyone's palette from day to day. What I rated as an 87 today might rate as a 92 tomorrow or next week. Even the top rating guys drift day to day.

• Huskee
    replied
    Potkettleblack (Too long for a Comment, so posting here) Usually the wines, at least from retailers I shop at, will say "best now and the next ten years" or "drinkable now, but better in 5 and best in 15 years" and I only buy the 'best now to 5 years' ones and have had this happen. It's hard for someone else to tell you if you should like this wine or not. I view it as rating someone's attractiveness. Different for everyone, we look for different things.

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    Awww man, just yesterday I was picking up some reds and I seen 19 Crimes and thought it sounded familiar but I skipped past it. Dernnit. I forgot about this post.

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    I can picture Julia Child saying that.

• (T Cap)
    commented on 's reply
    agree!!!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here