Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wine talk 🍷

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DJBODA
    commented on 's reply
    As I riffed through the comments, I was surprised no one mentioned the general vintage charts put out by various magazines (usually at no charge) or Google "wine vintage charts". This is a good starting point when buying wine to put away for a few months or years. If there is no wine shop near you, explore some when you're next in a larger city. DO NOT BE INTIMIDATED FROM ASKING QUESTIONS!!!

• EdF
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah, I'm big on Argentinian and Chilean both the last few years! Maybe you'll need an assistant, Huskee .

• Potkettleblack
    commented on 's reply
    I may have been to Dry Creek. Or at least all their neighbors. Zin from Dry Creek Valley is, for my money, the best there is. And mostly good value. Going again next month.

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    Ahumadora Yes! A paid trip would be most productive, for science, R&D, you know! Actually do like malbecs. And I've had Argentinian wines, just don't remember which. I LOVE Argentinian and Chilean wines that I've had. I remember "earthy" and "minerally" came to mind at the time, whereas many US and some Italian wines I have experience with lean toward the fruity and/or dry.

• Ahumadora
    commented on 's reply
    You need to visit Argentina. Tell Meathead you need a paid trip to Mendoza ARG for an article on Malbec's.

• Huskee
    replied
    Dry Creek may honestly be my all time favorite 'best buy' wine out there. At ~$20/bottle it is absolutely fantastic. I would liken it to the Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, or Elijah Craig (bourbons) of the wine world. There are $40 & $60 bottles that I don't think are as good. And it is NO QUESTION THE single best $20 bottle I've ever had.

Outstanding in its price range, whether red zinfandel or Cabernet sauvignon... EDIT: or petite sirah.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMAG1877.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.72 MB ID:	574765

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    2.5 years later I still have 1 bottle of this that I've been saving.

• charlesSFG
    commented on 's reply
    Stags Leap Wine Cellars was the big winner that shocked the wine world in 1976 beating out the French at the Paris Wine Tasting of 1976 also known as the Judgment of Paris. It put Napa and California on the map as world class wines, but we already new that.

• Yno
    replied
    You can't go wrong with either.

Last night we opened a 1994 Silver Oak Alexander Valley. We have been to Silver Oak, both the Napa Valley and Alexander Valley facilities, many times. One trip, must have been 1998 or 1999, we met Justin Meyer, and got a few signed bottles. This was the second to last that I still have. It was very good, just a hair past it's peak, but still a medium ruby red, not turning 'brickish' yet. I got blackberry, leather, and a hint of chocolate, and my wife said she was tasting cherries. I am going to host a small BBQ next weekend, and one of my guests is a Certified Sommelier, so I will pop open the last bottle. My next oldest are some 1999's.

The 1986 Silver Oak was the wine that my soon to be wife and I shared on our first date, and it has always been special to us.

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    I'm not sure which it was, it was the one most likely to be in a restaurant! It was a 2013. I emailed the place to ask, as their wine list isn't on their website. I'll update when they reply.

• Dewesq55
    commented on 's reply
    I have always liked Artemis and consider it a value Napa cab.

• Yno
    replied
    Stag's Leap is a designated viticultural area in the Napa Valley. There are two wineries there, Stag's Leap Winery and Stag's Leap Wine Cellars. I know more about the Stag's Leap Wine Cellars offerings, having been there quite a few times. Their Cask 23 is outstanding, at an outstanding price of $260 currently. I also like the SLV, but at $135 I don't get to try it very often. Their Artemis is actually very good, and at only (!) $60, I have had that a bit more often.

Stag's Leap Winery also makes some fantastic wines, at up to $200 per bottle. I have not been to that tasting room, even though it is practically next to SLWC. I will have to plan a trip up there sometime. Maybe after I win the lottery.....

Leave a comment:

• EdF
    commented on 's reply
    Not such a bad place!

• Huskee
    replied
    This past week I was able to try a Stag's Leap cab (Napa), an Italian cab/sangiovese blend called Poggio al Tufo, and a Peidmont/Alba nebbiolo. There was another in there too that I can't remember. All 4 of these were accompanied by beef tenderloin with truffles and a wine reduction.

Wow. The flavors on this planet are astounding.

Leave a comment:

• Juddlight
    commented on 's reply
    They actually had a good dry one called charity red...first dry wine i liked haha

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here