Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wine talk 🍷

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tim
    commented on 's reply
    If the wings are spicy a kabinett level German Riesling is perfect. Not too sweet but just enough to balance against the spice. I would avoid tannic reds.

• Richard Chrz
    replied
    My Parents brought over a 2005 Franciscan Cabernet that was amazing last night. I felt a little guilty drinking it after having 4 IPA's prior to it. I don't think I got even close to the full enjoyment out of it. But, if my dad wanted to open it, who am I to say. (It was just to hot out for a cab last night)
    Last edited by Richard Chrz; July 15, 2019, 04:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks Tim. I've been more into whiskey lately than wine, (re-aging my own, also aging gin in used whiskey barrels, etc) but I value your thoughts in this thread. I will likely get back into wine more in time, sooner than later probably, I tend to be kind of phasey. I only have maybe 3 reds on hand right now, a cab or two and a petite sirah I think. I just can't drink a whole bottle when I want a glass or two, and wine doesn't store after being opened like whiskey.

• Tim
    commented on 's reply
    You're absolutely right about aged wines being very different from what most people know and like. They get softer and feel sweeter, tannins drop, fruit drops, secondary and tertiary notes like mushroom creep in. The Brits love it. Most Americans are not so thrilled. I'd much prefer to catch a wine a little early than a little late...

• Tim
    commented on 's reply
    Good point. Don't bother aging wine unless you are very confident of the storage conditions. Mainly I worry about large temperature fluctuations and extended exposure to heat (above 70 or 75F). Direct sunlight and excessively dry conditions are no good either.

• Tim
    commented on 's reply
    Best thing in the world you can do to get wine figured out is to find a trustworthy and knowledgeable wine merchant in your town. They should be tasting what they buy and should have a sense of how long a wine would improve.
    I find that non-luxury priced wines can definitely age, if you find the right ones. Value-driven, fruit forward CA cabs can do OK for a few years but they are produced for early drinking so you don't need to.

• Tim
    commented on 's reply
    I do. I have a irresponsible amount of wine. I use CellarTracker for inventory and drinking windows. I think most quality wines benefit from at least a little time. And some require it to really show their stuff. I'm super excited you started this thread!!!

• smokin fool
    commented on 's reply
    Most peoples palette's are draw to white's so reds lag behind up here.
    I'm surprised Cdn wine isn't available in MI, your President has probably put a tariff on them....
    Take a rip across the border one weekend, Pelee Island has a fantastic VQA award winning winery within easy driving distance of the border. That used to be tabacco country, with its demise many farmers have switched to vineyards.
    Another reason for a visit....your dollar is worth around $1.40 up here....

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    Never once seen a Canadian wine in any store here. I theorize much like in Michigan's shorter growing season the Canadian reds aren't California or Italy- bold, but the whites are killer?

• smokin fool
    replied
    Boy this is an old neglected thread
    I’m pretty lucky Niagara wine country is a 25 min drive for literally dozens of boutique winery’s in the area to chose from.
    Norfolk county, an hour west is new to wineries. Pictured is a red from Burning Kiln called Harvest Party currently my one of my favs.
    Im kind of a wine snob, I try to only buy Canadian wines preferably from Ontario.
    Look forward to showing more wares from up here in "We the North"
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• fttank
    commented on 's reply
    I do. I have a 36 case locker at an off-site cellar about 10 miles from home, along with a small 48 bottle wine fridge at home. Staglin, Silver Oak, Phelps, a few others are sitting in the locker. I'll pull bottles out for special occasions.

• phecksel
    replied
    My favorite pairing, luna bianca with turkey

Leave a comment:

• phecksel
    commented on 's reply
    couple hundred bottles in my basement

• Potkettleblack
    commented on 's reply
    Spent some time in the DCV last year and it’s a hard place to make a bad wine.

• DJBODA
    commented on 's reply
    If you run into someone unhelpful, excuse yourself and find another employee, or go find another shop more interested in your needs. As a "geezer", I find a preference for European wines since they have been grown for centuries over New World Wines whose vines are usually younger. Quality wine is what you want regardless of where it comes from. Experiment; you try new things on the BBQ, wine is no different.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here