Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's you most memorable wine experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There’s a small winery in Wichita Falls Tx. I and my girlfriend at the time used to love to stop there and grab a couple of bottles of their Wichita red wine. We normally struck up a conversation with the owner and his wife every time we were there. Now fast forward 5 years. I and the girlfriend have parted ways several years ago and I stop by with my wife. I haven’t been there in 5 years, I also haven’t told my wife about taking the old girlfriend there. I and the owner were discussing something and I hear the owners wife say to my wife, “honey I don’t know what your doing, but keep it up, you look better than you have in years". I had a lot of explaining to do.
    Last edited by Oak Smoke; October 7, 2023, 07:59 PM.

Comment

• WayneT
      WayneT commented
      Editing a comment
      Wichita Falls. Haven’t been there since I was a raw AF trainee back in the …never mind. I had no idea there was any kind of wine production in WF. I’m sure it’s a more recent development.

Ex wife's alumni association used to do wine tasting at one of Detroit's higher end restaurants. Sommelier would pair 8 wines with 8 hors d'oeuvre​s. I always cheated and tried the wines ahead of time. About the third year they did this, food #3 paired so well with food 5, I had the sommelier try it. She looked at me and said you're getting really good at this The flavor of both the wine and the food exploded in your mouth. It's made a difference in my own wine making and pairing the right wine with the right food.

Comment

Originally posted by Oak Smoke View Post
      I hear the owners wife say, "honey I don’t know what your doing, but keep it up, you look better than you have in years". I had a lot of explaining to do.
      Way back in the early 80's an ex g/f and I stopped at a winery in MI. We bought a LOT of wine, several cases worth, basically filled her Porsche 944. Fast forward about 20 years, my wife and I stopped at the winery, and I told the person working in the tasting room, that I really enjoyed their red from that era, and he said they were never able to duplicate that batch again. I said yeah, my then g/f and I bought a bunch of cases of wine. He said, and you were in a Porsche too. I was impressed that he remembered after that many years.

Comment

I always joke when I drive past a winery..."Oh, I need to stop! I think I'm down to my last hundred bottles." LOL

As far as "ridiculously expensive" goes...yeah, we won't go there. LOL

Years ago, nearing the end of a London to Los Angeles flight...a flight attendant asked if I would like a bottle of wine. Naturally I said yes. She discreetly gave me a bottle and I placed it into my carry-on. A couple of days later, my wife & I opened it up. Turns out it was a champagne. And OMG, it was amazing. Don't recall if it was a brut or extra brut, but it was amazing. I later went to a couple of wine merchants to find more. One had it and I went into sticker shock. LOL I passed and somewhere over the years I've managed to forget the winery. But it was outstanding, so the search is on. ;-)

Comment

There was a bonfire, a joint, likely 3, not a lot of clothes…and. I think a few bottles of wine.
          Last edited by Richard Chrz; October 7, 2023, 07:10 PM.

Comment

• DaveD
            DaveD commented
            Editing a comment
            Now THIS is doing it correctly! Almost doesn't matter what kind of wine

• WayneT
            WayneT commented
            Editing a comment
            Winner! And you didn’t have to cook.

Two experiences, both with my late, beloved parents (who were also my best friends) and my lovely bride.

The first was at a French restaurant in Riverside, California, called La Vie En Rose. My Dad ordered a very fine bottle of French red wine to go with our meal. I don't recall what the vintage was (this was around 2000) but it was spectacularly good, and the wine was served in this leaning decanter over a tiny candle, I'd never seen such a thing before or since. It was a few days before Christmas, just the four of us before the rest of the family descended in the coming days, and one of the most memorable dining experiences of my life. Carolers came by our table during the meal, and a young woman selling single, long-stemmed red roses, which Dad and I both purchased for our wives.

The second was sitting at the kitchen table with the folks playing Trivial Pursuit after my Mom's basic but excellent pot roast dinner (originally misremembered as red-sauce spaghetti). We'd shared a bottle of Bolla Valpolicella with dinner, which we were finishing up as we started the game, and then had another bottle while we played. A great deal of hilarity ensued. I remember my Dad getting a question, who was the inventor of the mimeograph machine? And he bellowed out, "Sal Mimeo!" (you can't be young and do that). A very VERY basic wine, but proof that the company matters more...

Very glad this thread was resurrected so that I could relive these precious memories. I sure do miss my folks.

Click image for larger version  Name:	xmas2001withmomndad.jpg Views:	0 Size:	428.3 KB ID:	1490049
          Last edited by DaveD; October 8, 2023, 07:45 AM.

Comment

• WayneT
            WayneT commented
            Editing a comment
            That’s a great and poignant post, Dave. Isn’t it wonderful how great food, wine and company, including family, can make such indelible memories? Some of my most memorable times with friends and family were a result of that combo.

• surfdog
            surfdog commented
            Editing a comment
            That’s awesome. Such great memories. And “Sal Mimeo” is brilliant.

And that candle decanter…that’s an old school way of decanting aged reds. Old reds will “through a deposit” which naturally collect on the bottom side of bottles stored for years. Few, including me, rotate stored wines. It’s mostly tannins and, indeed, some of the pigments from the wine. Most modern screens will catch that. The old way was to stop as those deposits made their way to the neck…which the candle helped illuminate.
            Last edited by surfdog; December 8, 2023, 12:10 AM.

When I was in college, I chugged 2 bottles of boons farm back to back....but what happened after that isn't memorable as I can't remember. Not gonna talk about how and where I woke up.

Comment

• Draznnl
            Draznnl commented
            Editing a comment
            No question, just a comment. Since you don’t remember most of your “most memorable wine experience”, I wonder what the events you remember even less were like.

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            Draznnl watch COPS you'll get an idea...

• WayneT
            WayneT commented
            Editing a comment
            Ouch! Drinking 2 bottles of Boones is silly. Chugging 2 is a bit crazy. Ah, the vicissitudes of youth. I’m glad you lived through that episode to grace us with your culinary prowess and wit.

On our trip to California this summer, my wife and I spent a day being driven from winery to winery for tastings. We hit four vineyards, tasted a whole lot of wine, more wine at higher price points than we would have ever purchased at home. To avoid having wine shipped in the summer heat, we told the wineries to send the wine in October. So we should be getting our bounty in the next few weeks.

Comment

• WayneT
            WayneT commented
            Editing a comment
            That’s the way to roll.

• surfdog
            surfdog commented
            Editing a comment
            One of the wineries that I get regular shipments from uses these “ice pack” sorta things. Granted, it’s only going from NorCal to SoCal…but it’s still kinda cool.
            (Yeah, pun intended.)

Boones Farm in High School. All over the back seat of my friend's car.

Setting that aside...Years ago, my Aunt took me on a wine tour in Napa valley. It was almost the whole day and it included lunch and dinner of Delicious Napa Valley foods and of course....the wine....It was truly Amazing

Comment

• WayneT
            WayneT commented
            Editing a comment
            Geez, all the Boone's Farm people are coming out. At least I got sloshed on Cold Duck, a much more refined choice. Yes, aside from the Boone's Farm, that sounds like fun.

• surfdog
            surfdog commented
            Editing a comment
            The Boone’s Farm “people coming out” makes me laugh. I grew up surrounded by wineries. And drank it, watered down it turns out (grrrr LOL) when I was a kid…at holidays & celebrations and, literally, for medicinal purposes. Mum KNEW it would fend off the flu & what not. So, for me, that never stuff was off my radar. Seeing the aftermath of some friends, I was ok with that. LOL

Prob should not admit to this, but I will. New Orleans ~1994, went to conference and was going to meet an old friend at Emeril's for dinner. She had family emergency and had to go home, I went anyway and told them I would be alone. Thought they'd refuse to seat me, but the guy said "sure, or maybe you'd rather eat at bar?" Yes, so they laid me a place setting at the bar, Menu> I had nothing else to do, and it was first time I'd ever been able to go to a "nice" restaurant and pay my own bill, so I ordered tasting menu. Including the wine tasting add on. Took me hours to eat, I had to take a few breaks for water and people watching, bartenders so nice and the chef came out a time or two to check on me.
          By the time I was leaving, I was snookered. Had the remains of my last glass in a to go cup, walking through parking lot to my rental car. I only had a couple blocks to my hotel. A NO police officer caught up to me, asked am I having nice night? I said "guess I'm caught, but it's been lovely so far." He said "glad to hear it, welcome to New Orleans!", walked me to my car, and made sure I had good directions back to hotel. Waved. I will never forget it.

PS. I'm loving this thread

Comment

• WayneT
            WayneT commented
            Editing a comment
            Now that's a great story with a happy ending! Wine and tasting menus are a great way to learn about wine and what they pair well with. Another, but more costly option, is to book a tasting before hand and ask the chef to cook chef's choice, 'off menu'.

• acorgihouse
            acorgihouse commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, Carolyn, I am well aware I was very lucky. This was at the Emeril's on St. Charles, called Delmonico now I think? and I would have been cooked if the person approaching me was not a police officer. Even though I was about twenty feet from the front door. I learned a huge lesson, but it still sticks in my mind as a memorable night.

• Carolyn
            Carolyn commented
            Editing a comment
            acorgihouse Sounds like you had fun, and was treated well by everybody. I just couldn't believe that cop took off on us like he did. We weren't expecting a ride from him, but good grief he could have offered to call a cab or something. We obviously made it ok, but it was scary.
            One thing I miss about living in that area is all of the great restaurants.

Back in 1984, I was gifted a bottle of Georges de Latour Private Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon. I don't know the vintage, I just remember it made the flight on military jets starting in San Diego and ending up in Atsugi, Japan. I'm no oenophile, but I can taste and appreciate good wine from average wing. This bottle is the best wine I've ever had.

Comment

• WayneT
            WayneT commented
            Editing a comment
            Beaulieu Vineyards has perennially turned out very good wines and you may have had one from the 'bottle shock' days.

I wish I had a good memory of wine. I did order a case of Dornfelder from Schlossadler wines, which is a German red wine. Kind of a sweet wine, which I loved, but I discovered that I am allergic (and that includes wine coolers.) Wine gives me a migraine that is a scary kind of headache, like my entire head is being crushed. I can't even eat food that has a Burgundy sauce. I have the same reaction to Hydrocodone.
          We did have a couple bottles of a red wine by Coppola at a steak house that I enjoyed (until I didn't.)

I had a couple/three (can't remember) glasses of some kind of wine cooler or something at a restaurant, and I got the worst case of vertigo by the time I got to the car. My friend was driving and thought it would be hilarious to make hard turns. When I got back to the house. My husband had to make the bed because we had washed the sheets. While he was doing that, I passed out on the floor, and then had to crawl to the bed. It was horrible. Something similar happened to me at a conference. I had 2 glasses of wine and got seriously bad vertigo almost immediately, and had to go up to my room. Can't do wine. I tried, though and regretted it every time.

I can drink a vodka drink without issue.

Comment

• Carolyn
            Carolyn commented
            Editing a comment
            WayneT Thanks. I am not much of a drinker to begin with, so I don't indulge much, but I have been able to handle a mojito and a margarita. I made a poke-cake using Kahlua in the icing, and I sure loved the taste, but it gave me a massive migraine just from the icing. I can't explain that one. These days most alcohol makes me feel kind of yucky, but those migraines scared me because they were so bad. I like a Moscow Mule now and then.

• surfdog
            surfdog commented
            Editing a comment
            I have a similar reaction to Budweiser.

One of those and I’m darn near hallucinating…and that quickly changes to violently ill. That can easily last for two days, sometimes three. O_o

No other beer, or alcohol, does that. I’m guessing it’s the beechwood because nothing else in there gives me that reaction. It’s horrible. A juice glass of the stuff is enough to take me out for a day & a half.

• Carolyn
            Carolyn commented
            Editing a comment
            surfdog That sounds bad.
            I have a friend who is allergic to beef. I don't miss wine, but man, I would miss steak.

Ex wife's alumni association did a yearly wine / Hors D'oeuvres dinner. Usually 8 wines accompanied with 8 Hors D'oeuvres. I always sampled all 8 wines ahead of time. Last year we attended, we got to food #3, and I said to myself, this would pair better with wine 5. Both the wine and food exploded in flavor. There is no comparison when you peg the pairing that well. I pointed it out to the Sommelier, and she said you nailed this one!

Few years ago, I made a Zin/cab bourbon barrel kit. Just finished the last 2 bottles for a dinner a couple of months ago. By far the best wine I have ever tasted.... that is until a batch I've recently blended. I tasted it just before we left for our snow bird travels. It's bulk aging at the house. What I tasted, was obviously juvenile, but, I have extremely high expectations for what I already tasted.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here