Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wines to pair with prime rib

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would go with the Santa Barbara-Santa Maria Syrah, particularly if from one of the wineries on the Lompoc side of that area. Otherwise, I would go with the Cab if aged at least 6 years (prefer 10+ for most cabs) - you do not say which area/winery or age. Of course, a good meritage would also be great, but I would save the Zin blends for heavy pasta dishes. I know it sounds snobby, but that's the way I would go.

Comment

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      Nothing wrong with being a wine snob, I freely admit I am.
      I only buy Ontario VQA wines but will indulge with Cali wines once in a while.

Not snobby at all! And this is why I'm asking Cabs are all Napa-Sonoma area but they're only 3-4 years old. The Syrah is a 2017, and the Rioja is 2012.

Comment

Hey! I ended up opening that Santa Barbara Syrah and the Rioja. Both were splendid, but the Syrah was the better choice to have while actually eating, it cut through the incredibly beefy beefiness of the prime rib we served tonight. The Rioja was best suited for the afterglow, sipping contentedly. At least for me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20211225_165220.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	1148636

Comment

• 58limited
        58limited commented
        Editing a comment
        That looks like an incredible meal and some mighty fine wines.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here