Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone tried this Piccolo Cru red wine from Napa?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks for the info!

• WayneT
    replied
    The name alone is interesting. Piccolo is the Italian word for small and Cru is a French word denoting a grade of wine from a chateau or growing region. That blend, though, is made from five primary Bordeaux grape varietals so it mimics a Bordeaux blend. Might want to cellar a few bottles of that.

Calistoga is a great little funky town at the northern end of Napa. Lots of old deuce coups and roadsters there.

Leave a comment:

• Jerod Broussard
    replied
    I wouldn't call it robust, but a hallmark flavor filled with copious amounts of undertones nonetheless.

Leave a comment:

• CalebLowery
    replied
    In the leaves of plants, they make up to 50% of the dry matter. In wine, tannins are part of the so-called "structure" of the taste. They make the wine seem dry. Tannins occur mostly in red wines and to a lesser extent in rosé and orange wines. In white wines, they may appear as a result of barrel aging. I remember Weinjoker publishing a list of the best wines and people tasting them. The results were amazing. Almost all the dry wines with tannins were mistaken for semi-sweet wines. In the taste of wine, tannins give bitterness and an astringent sensation - tartness. Strong black tea without sugar is almost a pure taste of tannins.
    Last edited by CalebLowery; July 4, 2022, 01:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    I do like Sangiovese! Thanks for the recommendation.

• Dick Anderson
    replied
    You're approaching a "Super Tuscan", just lacking a little (or a lot of) Sangiovese. If you'd want to try something from over the hill, in Sonoma County, perhaps a Ferrari-Carano Siena? Same price range; the Sangiovese adds a bunch to the fruitiness

Leave a comment:

• 58limited
    replied
    I'll have to check it out. Been to Calistoga once. Located there is one of the only three "Old Faithful" type geysers in the world. This geyser came about when a person digging a well tapped into a natural hydrothermal formation. They sell the mineral water from there, similar to Perrier.
    Last edited by 58limited; December 10, 2021, 12:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    started a topic Has anyone tried this Piccolo Cru red wine from Napa?

Has anyone tried this Piccolo Cru red wine from Napa?

If you've tried this, what did you think?

I normally lean toward the big bold tannin-heavy reds, and I pay less attention to overall flavor. This one has those squeaky-teeth tannins, but it also has a lot of flavor. And not in the jammy, fruity way necessarily. It is a blend, in descending order, of Cabernet, Merlot, Malbec, Cab Franc, and Petite Verdot (anything "petite" is a bold tannin grape).

My brother in law who is a huge wine aficionado, and has visited Napa a lot, tells me the Calistoga area of Napa (northern Napa) is known for very flavorful wines. I would totally agree in this case. It is really good. I ended up ordering 6 bottles of it for those good brisket, steak & ribs dinners. This runs about $25-30/bottle, so not grocery store cheap but also not "expensive".

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMAG7901.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.43 MB ID:	1140067

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here