Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Red wine ideas for a Brisket BBQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red wine ideas for a Brisket BBQ

Sounds like an odd combination, but that what I'm faced with. We're doing a Brisket for Christmas Eve. No beer drinkers in the group, but a few like sweet red wines.
    Any suggestions and explanations would be great.
    My sides for the meal: Creamy Broccoli Salad, Brazilian Tomato Slaw, Congri, Mac and Cheese, and Corn Pudding

This certainly sounds right up Meathead ‘s alley. Maybe he will chime in.

Comment

• Chuppy
      Chuppy commented
      Editing a comment
      I hope so, otherwise I might be in trouble.

Don’t know about sweet but I’d go Malbec or Cabernet Franc maybe Cabernet Sauvignon.

For thanksgiving I made turkey and brisket. I found a blend that was 50/50 Sangiovese/Cab Sav - really good.

Comment

• Chuppy
      Chuppy commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks

Try this chart - I love red wine but not sweet wine. So a sweet red wine seems an oxymoron to me. However, as JCBBQ said Malbec might be a good choice, Shiraz or Zinfandel as they're quite ubiquitous. but be careful with Zinfandel as it can be dry depending on the winery. Beaujolais nouveau would likely be ideal for your guests, if you can find it.

Here is a chart you might find useful.
    If you want to find some ideas for trying new wines in your preferred spot on the sweetness scale, we can help. Locate your favorite red on this red wine sweetness chart or discover a new favorite.

Comment

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed, dryer reds would be my preference also.
      Shiraz or in my case I’ve found Baco Noirs have peaked my interest lately.
      Beaujolais when in season would be iffy I find it more of a dessert wine but that’s me.

• JCBBQ
      JCBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes! Forgot about Zinfandel!

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for this. I keep saying I am going to cut back on the brewskis and drink more red wine, but I know bupkiss about wine. I know I like semi sweet, but when I ask in the liquor stores the answers or recommendations I get usually don't turn out well.

This one is my favorite red wine.
    Attached Files

Comment

• JCBBQ
      JCBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Hahahaha mine too but I don’t buy it anymore cuz it’s too damn pricey 👎🏻👎🏻👎🏻

• efincoop
      efincoop commented
      Editing a comment
      +2! It's allocated distribution makes it hard to find and pricey. But alas, I love it so much I tend to pay the $$ when it becomes available.

I know most people think of it as a dessert wine but Port goes really well with red meats, especially steak, but would be good with brisket too. It is bold and has a sweetness to it, alcohol level is about 20% so go easy. I like Messina-Hof Papa Paulo from Texas since it has a more pronounced oak note than most ports.

Otherwise I'd go with Malbec, Cabernet, Merlot, etc. I'm not a fan of sweet wines (other than Port which is more semi-sweet) and don't think it pairs well with smoked meats but that is a personal opinion.

I would quiz the guests and ask them which wine style/brand they would like with a rich, smokey red meat. Let them decide and then, hopefully, they will be happy.
    Last edited by 58limited; December 2, 2021, 07:31 AM.

Comment

• Chuppy
      Chuppy commented
      Editing a comment
      If they brought their own bottles... I would see a Blackberry wine or Cranberry wine, but none of us have had a good BBQ brisket before and obviously we're not refined wine drinkers either. So if that's what the guests bring I would like to hold it off until dessert.
      Maybe I'll look into a Malbec, it's been mentioned a couple of times and is in the center of the wine charts.

Pinot noir,,,not sweet,,,,but it’s good
    can’t see a sweet wine with bbq brisket
    Either the wine will ruin the taste of the brisket or the brisket will ruin the taste of the wine,,,

Comment

Spanada what else if not PBR? Spanada Wine commercial 1978 - YouTube

Comment

• 58limited
        58limited commented
        Editing a comment
        And Champale with the appetizer!

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        I just may have to give Champale a try, if it can be found at Costco.
        "Champale is a brand of malt liquor, brewed with yeasts more commonly used in wine fermentation, to produce a beer resembling sparkling wines in taste."

One thing people aren't asking you is, what's the rub on the brisket gonna be? Just plain S&P maybe SPOG? Or you gonna use a sweeter rub and vinegar based spritz? I'm not sure, but that could affect the proper pairing.

Comment

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        Excellent point, PBR pairs with . . . oh, never mind.

• Chuppy
        Chuppy commented
        Editing a comment
        On the brisket for the rub Harry Soo's Moola. No injections, and no concentrated beef.
        For the spritzing it will probably be water or water and apple cider vinegar.

I typically serve a big red with brisket but if their tastes run sweet, Lambrusco is an option, and this may sound horrifying, but select a nice win YOU love and add a pinch of sugar to theirs.

Comment

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        You can also add a splash of wine vinegar and call it homemade.
        Vin rosa goes with almost everything.

i'd go cote-rotie or rose champagne

Comment

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        Like the Rose idea if you can find a middle of the road as far as dryness
        Go with a 70-30 split Red to Rose

Wine and beef go together better than beer and beef. But I would not buy sweet wine. I like Cabernet Sauvignon, Bordeaux, or Pinot Noir to name a few.

Comment

I'd join the malbec crowd. A couple of other good wines for brisket are shiraz and syrah (the same grapes grown in different places).

Comment

Do you mean actually sweet as in sugar-sweet or fruit forward with bright red fruit? The latter says Gamay, Beaujolais being the classic there. I don't like sugar-sweet reds, so can't help you if that's what you're after.

Comment

My wife loves Jam Jar. It's a sweet red blend that's 89% Cabernet Sauvignon, 11% Shiraz. It's not super sweet if that helps. Around here it's in the Shiraz section.
          Last edited by RonB; December 2, 2021, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here