Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Red wine ideas for a Brisket BBQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chuppy
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks for the info about tannins and oak. I'll watch out for that in my picks.

• smokin fool
    commented on 's reply
    Funny peoples palettes, I was gifted a bottle of this wine and in my case it was too dry for even me and I want sand in the bottom of the glass when finished.

• rickgregory
    replied
    Folks - I don't think Chuppy actually wants a sweet red. See our discussion above.

Leave a comment:

• rickgregory
    commented on 's reply
    (cont'd)

the three varieties you're thinking of are fine but rather than a full on Barolo, you might look at a Nebbiolo Langhe. Same grape, same region but usually younger vines and less expensive.Obviously it depends on what you want and how into wine your guests are. Me, I'd love the Barolo

• DTro
    commented on 's reply
    Have had this with beef before. Good choice, pleases a crowd and not expensive. Apothic also has a red aged in whiskey barrels. Not for everyone... but a nice chef's treat.

• rickgregory
    commented on 's reply
    " My understanding is that wine drinkers refine their tongue over time and move from "sweet" to "dry."

I know where you got that, it was long ago a way to describe people and their wine journey but in reality what people tend to do is move from simpler wines whose predominant feature is good, straightforward fruit to wines that show other characteristics - tannic structure, some acidity, complex aromas, etc.

Almost no red table wine is what you'd consider sweet.

• DTro
    replied
    Whatever their taste are, do not go too sweet. We're talkin' beef here. California, Australia and Spain would be top list of my for this crowd. And, you are in luck. The lesser expensive bottles lean away from the dry earth and more to the bold sweet fruit. Merlot, Zin, Shiraz, and Rioja would all pair well. Also, because of the sides you are cookin', I would open a white too. Offer choices, and/or ask your guests to bring a bottle and open them to share. -not a wine critic here- just like 'em all.
    Last edited by DTro; December 2, 2021, 05:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 58limited
    commented on 's reply
    I forgot about the Apothic wines. I like them, they are about as sweet as I'll go in a red.

• smokin fool
    commented on 's reply
    If sweet reds are what some prefer there are Concorde wines.
    My FIL loves Mogan David and the like.
    I break out drinking that stuff but is an option.

• Chuppy
    commented on 's reply
    My understanding of wines is extremely limited. I don't even drink alcohol, so my wife will be doing the final selections. My understanding is that wine drinkers refine their tongue over time and move from "sweet" to "dry." So my guests would be on the lower "sweeter" end of the spectrum.
    Right now I leaning towards Cabernet Sauvignon with a Barolo, and a Malbec in the race.
    Last edited by Chuppy; December 2, 2021, 05:45 PM. Reason: spelling

• smokin fool
    commented on 's reply
    Excellent point and where I run into problems, I'm an Ontario VQA wine snob which probably 95% of my purchases.
    Other 5% being Cali wines, Josh and the like.
    European wines I don't even consider, plenty of great wines outta there but not interested.

• CaptainMike
    commented on 's reply
    Oh boy, I bet that was yummy!!! There's a lot of things about California that really suck, but the wine isn't one of them!! I was blessed to have grown up in wine country when California didn't suck. Maybe someday it will un-suck itself.
    Last edited by CaptainMike; December 2, 2021, 05:15 PM.

• Troutman
    replied
    Holy cow, I can't believe they still make the stuff. Here, go buy them a bottle of this....

Leave a comment:

• Troutman
    commented on 's reply
    Yea you're right Kathryn I didn't clearly read the OP's specific wine request. Sweet wine does not register with me so I have to pull my choice and abstain from comment. The only sweet wine I remember drinking was Boone's Farm or Mateus.

• fzxdoc
    replied
    A cab is perfect, IMO, but not for folks who like sweet reds. I have found the Apothic reds so sweet they nearly set my teeth on edge, but then I'm not a sweet red wine person unless it's a 20+ year old port.

Click image for larger version  Name:	00085000017746.png?q=80.png Views:	0 Size:	137.0 KB ID:	1135980
    BTW. I recommend a sweet red for those who like it but for those who want something less sweet, then a Cab or Cab/Shiraz blend works nicely for my palate.

Kathryn
    Last edited by fzxdoc; December 2, 2021, 04:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here