Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite whites for lighter BBQ meat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favorite whites for lighter BBQ meat

What are some go to white varietals or styles of whites (like oaked Chard) that you like to pair with grilled or smoked pork, chicken or seafood? Might be too open of a question because some of you bbq wine geeks might get very specific on what white you like with grill smoked oysters.

But now is the season for bbq and white summer wines. Once its over, its time to switch to red meat and red wine for most of us. Which is another good thread.
    Last edited by big_mack; July 27, 2021, 08:51 PM.

I do get the feeling that wine and bbq don't match up much in discussions. this sub board has the fewest threads evah. Is PBR better than a good bottle of 40 yr old Barolo with a steak?

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      I think *white* wine and BBQ aren't a common thing, but a big bold red? Yeah baby!

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      YES. Two rules
      1-- PBR pairs well with everything.
      2-- When in doubt see rule 1

Wish I could help, but the only pairing I have to worry about is milk, coffee, or water.
    This guy however seems to have at least put some thought into it. Link
    I have also heard that
    Meathead was a wino of some stripe in a past life, so maybe he will have some ideas.
    There is also the wine/spirits guide over on the free side. https://amazingribs.com/links-our-fa...r-and-spirits/

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      Why I know a wino said the wino

How about rosé?

Comment

• big_mack
      big_mack commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes indeed. I meant to mention Rose but forgot. Probably even better, generally speaking, for summer BBQ.

I'm with Attjack here, get a good rosé and your good. Except for that I drink a lot of Riesling, especially the less sweeter ones. It's hard to recommend any specific brand as I live in Sweden and I have no idea what's available in your country.

A classic chardonnay (with a bit of oak wood character, and a bit buttery) works wonders too, but I would pair that with sweet flavored meats. An example: I would not serve it with vinegary ribs, but instead serve it with sweet smoked spiral ham for example.

Comment

• big_mack
      big_mack commented
      Editing a comment
      Off dry Riesling from Germany or the Alcase could be good. I little mineral sweetness, a little almost oily diesel. But Rose is sounding like a great way to go.

I'm a red wine commonsewer myself but if pressed a nice Pino Grigio goes with most anything, maybe a Riesling in a pinch.
    I find Chard has run its course in this house, I haven't brought one in years. People gift it to me and it can sit for months.
    I find Rose more of a dessert wine, its to in between for many main courses.
    No right or wrong answer here, everyone's palette is different.

Comment

• big_mack
      big_mack commented
      Editing a comment
      what reds do you prefer with some bbq? Aussie Shiraz? California Zin? Cab?

• wu7y
      wu7y commented
      Editing a comment
      ". . . red wine commonsewer . . ." I love it!! Have you been spending time with Bonesy??

For white I enjoy a good minerally sauvignon blanc with food. Otherwise I prefer the biggest boldest red.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Initially I liked big bold reds and wasn't interested in whites. I still like the reds and now whites too. But my clear favorite is now Pinot Noir.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      big_mack My favorite bold red is a petite sirah. Don't let "petite" fool you, it refers to the size of the grapes not the flavor, the flavor is very bold due to more skin to meat ratio in petite sirah grapes. Next is a good Cabernet Sauvignon, but not all are created equal. Lastly, for me, is a good red zinfandel. All great BBQ wines in my opinion. Even a lackluster red will come alive with a good peppery BBQ rub.

• 58limited
      58limited commented
      Editing a comment
      I second sauvignon blanc. I'm a red wine guy but I like sauvignon blanc for cooking and for lighter meats such as fish or chicken. Other choices are Pinot Grigio and blush.

I would suggest White Zinfandel, but I might Blush.

Comment

• big_mack
      big_mack commented
      Editing a comment
      I wonder if anyone is going to whine about your pun!

big_mack Your above question would take weeks for me to answer so in a nutshell....
    I pass on European wines altogether, I know its the birth place but I just don't see/taste the of they're wines. They speak of old school winemaking and age old methods, when your wineries output is 1.2 billion bottles a year....pass.
    Right now I buy 99% Ontario VQA red wines from Niagara and more recently Erie's north shore.
    Burning Kiln Winery - they're Harvest Party is fantastic
    Pelee Island Winery - makes great and affordable reds....and whites
    Wayne Gretzky Estates - I started buying they're reds recently although they are pricey
    I do buy certain Cali reds, Josh comes to mind, I'm an impulse buyer with Cali wines if something strikes my fancy its in the cart.
    I'm extremely lucky Niagara wine country is a 35 min drive away while Erie is just over an hour so I stay local for my wines....and less than 5 mins from 3 LCBO's.

Comment

• big_mack
      big_mack commented
      Editing a comment
      well my friend we'll have to sort of disagree. I find Canadian wine offers poor value probably mostly because its taxed so much. I don't find any value in BC wines for the most part. Not sure about your area though as we don't see much of it out here. I believe that wine from euro countries are taxed less than Canadian juice. I buy a lot of $20 Italian whites that would cost more for the equivalent in Canadian wine.

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      No problem, I get what your saying.
      I have to idea of the pricing in Alberta, I kinda keep my purchases under $15 a bottle to be honest I haven’t looked at a bottle of French or Italian wine in so long I have no idea how much they cost.

Boones farm.. pretty much any flavor!! They are all good!!

Comment

Carlo Rossi Red Mountain................wait that's just to get off on the acid. Never mind!

Comment

I'm partial to Sea Glass Sauvignon Blanc with lighter meats, fish and cheese or just by itself!

Comment

If you are going white then personally i prefer a new zealand/australian sauv blanc. I like the crispness and find it helps cut the heaviness that bbq can bring. Like food though, its all down to personal taste.

Comment

surprised but not that there is a lot of sauv blanc recommendations. I don't like it much any more. prob drank to much at one point. but I can see how its juicy acidity would go well with bbq. I'll pick up some kim crawford for a bbq soon and give it a swirl.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here