Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Really making our own wine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really making our own wine

For years, we've been driving to Windsor Ont and sort of "making" home brew. At one time we had 15 different types of wine, using the stores professional level equipment and their expertise to make each batch of wine using winexpert kits.

Fast forward, we moved, and the border is still closed anyway, decided to buy the equipment to make our own. Started with our "table wine", white zin. First two batches have come out extremely well, and have been put into 3L bags which come with their own box. Wife also bought Brewsy kits, which is set up for smaller batches. Brewsy Cab is still processing, and I'm still on the fence. Mostly because unlike winexpert, brewsy instruction look like they were written by an engineer, and are incomplete. Early taste showed it to be adequate. I've broken away from their instructions and following more of the WE instructions.

I don't know what I'm going to do about higher end wines that really need to age. We've moved and no longer have a basement. Crawl space has enough leakage that so far this summer, the temperature is rather temperate and stable. Also need to buy a corker.

Get a floor corker - you won't regret it!

Comment

• 58limited
      58limited commented
      Editing a comment
      What he said - A floor corker is a great investment. Makes life so much easier and saves your wrists.

I tried the "hand" corker in the store, we decided to go with floor corker. white zin is going into bags/boxes. Just started a table red that will go into bottles.

Comment

Wines are challenging to get. This may not be news to you, but many people still struggle with finding the best deals on wine. This is partly because ignorance is bliss. It's also because wine is highly personal, and every person is different. But what we do know is that certain brands make better wines than others. It all comes down to taste and staying away from brands you think are sub-par. Anyway, you can use this famous platform for Italian wines to order any sorts you want. They always deliver very fast and have a wide variety of brands.
      Last edited by saralucano; August 16, 2021, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Interested in this. Do you grow your own grapes?

Comment

Depending on where you are now, it might be worth checking a local homebrew store if you have one. It's nice to get your hands on some equipment before buying. Wine Barrel in Livonia is good, and so is Adventures in Homebrewing (although I think their Taylor location is still closed). AIH has a good webstore if you still want to "order local".

Comment

My wife makes whine every time I let her run out of chocolate on accident.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            Rubs Promo
            Meat-Up in Memphis