Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First try of Bourbon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First try of Bourbon

This will be my first attempt at drinking bourbon. I usually go for Crown Royal or Glenmorangie but I'm intrigued by the discussions in the "Favorite bourbon, favorite Scotch" thread here in the Pit. Found some Woodford Reserve locally and figured it'd go well with the moink balls and fatties I smoked with my grandson today on his 18th birthday. Hope it's a good choice to start with.

I like Woodford very well, it goes on sale locally fairly often. I usually find people don't like bourbon after they have been drinking other stuff for a while but if you can drink Crown and Glen you shouldn't have a problem.

Comment

• IrondeQuer
      IrondeQuer commented
      Editing a comment
      LOL _John_! That's what I'm thinking after my first few sips!

Well congrats on your first try of the superior class of drink known as bourbon. When I was younger I drank blends like Crown but now... Just give me some quality bourbon on the rocks and I am happy. Especially if it is Knob Creek Single Barrel 120 proof!
    Last edited by Nate; June 13, 2015, 08:03 PM.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
      Danjohnston949 commented
      Editing a comment
      Nate, Now throw the Ice Cubes over Your Shoulder and take Your Bourban Neat! Room Temperature and You on Your Way to a Refined Pallet! 👍👍😇👍👍
      From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

• Nate
      Nate commented
      Editing a comment
      Danjohnston949 , I can drink it like that but prefer a lightly chilled drink & feel the ice opens it up a bit but that is just my preference. I do cringe when someone orders a quality bourbon and mixes it with soda. I just use regular jim beam or something like that if want to mix.

That's a neat picture IrondeQuer! I can't remember if I posted it or not in the favorite bourbon thread, but I've tried that and enjoyed it too, I though it quite smooth if I remember correctly. A personal fav of mine is Maker's 46 too.

Comment

Well, I think _John_ had it right. It was okay but had a lot more bite than I'm used to. After adding extra ice I was able to drink it pleasurably but I think I'll be going back to Glenmorangie. Hmmm, got a whole liter though. Guests welcome!

Comment

• Flavorsavor
        Flavorsavor commented
        Editing a comment
        x2 on the buffalo trace. Also, starting out with a high quality old fashioned helps ease into bourbon. Just a tablespoon of simple syrup, a few dashes of bitters and an orange twist. Less and less sugar and better bourbon, all of a sudden you love the flavor of straight bourbon.

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        I only drink bourbon meat. Never ice or water. If Woodford reserve is too sharp or biting for you, you might want to try a wheated bourbon such as larceny or makers Mark. You can also try a lower rye bourbon like Eagle rare.

• IrondeQuer
        IrondeQuer commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, Dew! I've seen Larceny in these parts. Will have to give it a try.

Adding a little water to bourbon opens it up and mellows the bite. I like mine with ice and water.

Comment

My favorite mid price bourbon:

Smooth and very drinkable

Comment

• Lost in China
          Lost in China commented
          Editing a comment
          If you wouldn't drink it, then don't cook with it.

• FLBuckeye
          FLBuckeye commented
          Editing a comment
          Lost in China probably a sound idea

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          Lost: that rule is routinely ignored by the very chefs who propagate it. Thirty dime wine cooks fine.

I really enjoy an old fashioned with bourbon, ice, simple syrup (new fancy places muddle sugar but traditional is simple syrup which you can make at home in 20 min or less) a few dashes of bitters, typically Angostura, and some orange.

There are a lot of recipes for Old fashioned's, were drunk by the founding fathers, and they weren't using cherries and a lot of the stuff you see in modern recipes, try it with some simple syrup and some bitters if you have them, a little oj if you want and try that out.

Comment

• IrondeQuer
          IrondeQuer commented
          Editing a comment
          Haven't had an old fashioned in quite some time but I remember them fondly, mostly. Would you have a reference for the syrup, _John_?

• _John_
          _John_ commented
          Editing a comment
          1 part water 1 part sugar, bring to a boil while stirring so it doesn't burn and that is it.

• IrondeQuer
          IrondeQuer commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, John!!

Man.. don't get me started on bourbon... I will fill the thread

Comment

Today is National Bourbon Day by the way! Everyone should grab their fav Bourbon... Here is what I am drinking

Click image for larger version

Name:	elijahcraig1.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	90183

Look at the barrel proof! I will be Sh!@#t faced in awhile prolly hahahahaha!

Comment

• Lost in China
            Lost in China commented
            Editing a comment
            How is there any taste with that much alcohol?

• smarkley
            smarkley commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey Lost in China - I missed this sorry.

Well the taste was good; this one is deceiving because it does not taste as strong as it is, but actually high alcohol pours give you a better sense of the real bourbon flavor... it is good. Ya don't want to toss it down, just sip... and yes adding a little water helps

• Flavorsavor
            Flavorsavor commented
            Editing a comment
            that Craig has been hard to come by

Elijah Craig barrel.....140 out of the barrel. Egad man!

I'm from Bardstown, KY.......so we cut our teeth and wet our whistles on bourbon. Makers is still my everyday bourbon.....not that I drink every day. But it's at the front of the shelf.......Woodford is a good choice if you're going to try it on for size. If you start feeling a little froggy, then Booker Noe offers something a little different and stronger. It's not a 140, but it is a 120 proof. It is a strong, but it is a very complex bourbon. It is uncut, unfiltered and bottled straight from the barrel......it used to be the only bourbon bottle straight from the barrel......seems Craig has started offering this too.

The advice to splash a little water in was a good one. That little bit of water (teaspoon) opens up the sugars. If I put a cube of ice in Ill skip this step.

I was unaware that today was bourbon day........i'm off to celebrate it now.

Comment

Woodford is one of my favorites.

If your state sells Bulleit Bourbon, give it a try. About the best you can get for under $30, IMO. Their Rye is excellent, also.

Comment

• smarkley
              smarkley commented
              Editing a comment
              Welcome to the Pit!

Bulleit makes my all time favorite Rye...

At the 25 price point I like Buffalo Trace Bourbon... very good stuff. Have you tried it?

• _John_
              _John_ commented
              Editing a comment
              I went to check because my local place has crazy good deals on Bulleit and sure enough the 1.75 is on sale for $29.95. I keep my extra rubs in old Bulleit bottles so I kind of look like an alcoholic.

• IrondeQuer
              IrondeQuer commented
              Editing a comment
              Interesting. Yes, I saw Bulleit on the shelf at the local liquor store. I also saw the Rye which I really wanted to grab. Next time maybe.

Welcome divisionbell77 . I've had Bulleit - good stuff that is ...nice to have you here

Comment

Another great feature of Old Grand Dad 114 is that it has a cork top and it is wide enough to fit quarters into. Works great as a coin jar. I use old Galliano bottles for pennies. Galliano bottles also make for good clubs within two steps of my bed if I can't get to my 20 gauge quickly enough.

Comment

• _John_
                _John_ commented
                Editing a comment
                Might need a new neighborhood if you're having to keep a bottle of pennies at the ready...I have the same gun I had in the Marines, the wife was worried with kids but I keep it apart, I can put it together and shoot in about 3 seconds, stationary or moving. Hooray for muscle memory.

• FLBuckeye
                FLBuckeye commented
                Editing a comment
                Naw _John_ my neighborhood is fine but in these times, you never know. I am pretty sure my two Great Pyrenees dogs would give me plenty of time to get the shotgun out. It would take longer than 3 seconds, but no more than 5. Two 90 lb. dogs barking would scare most desperadoes away.

Basil Hayden, Old Forester Signature, Woodford Reserve Double Oaked, Pappy 12 year old Lot B. So many great Bourbons...So little time.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here