Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fighting Cock - don’t overlook the Kickin’ Chicken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fighting Cock - don’t overlook the Kickin’ Chicken

You’ve all seen the bottle as you scanned the lower shelf of bourbons at your local liquor store. You probably even scoffed at the name. In fact buying such a bottle might cause you some embarrassment as the store clerk smiles at you when you are checking out.

Friends, ignore the name, because the Kickin’ Chicken is a worthy resident in your home bar.

At 103 proof, Fighting Cock is Heaven Hill’s version of Wild Turkey 101 (one of my favorites that we discuss another time). The mashbill is 75% corn, 13% rye, and 12% malted barley and while it used to have a 6 year age statement, it is no longer age stated (as is the trend now in the bourbon world). I have heard this was better when it as age stated, but I wouldn’t know.

There is nothing complex about this bourbon, but if you like sweeter high proof flavor profiles this is one you’ll want to check out. And for less that $20 what do you have to lose? And did I mention this is a smooth sipper? It’s Spicey, sweet, yet very smooth with almost no alcohol burn. Personally, I like this one better that Evan Williams White Label. It’s proof makes it a no brainer for cocktails requiring some dilution, but it can certainly be enjoyed neat and makes a great daily drinker.

So, fear no more. Pick up a bottle of Fighting Cock, let the store clerk and everyone else standing in line scoff at you dropping less than $20 for a bottom shelf chicken. Because now you know something they don’t know. This time, you’ll have the last laugh.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DE0076A0-F988-4BF8-8A73-66DDE96A8AB5.png
Views:	222
Size:	237.1 KB
ID:	848369

I thought this thread would be about the Weber Kickin' Chicken seasoning, which is good stuff.

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Really? Will have to look for it. Tanks.

I thought the same thing!! Actually glad it wasn't because now I can go try this bourbon! Also want to pick up the white label Evan Williams to try as well.

Comment

Thank you ColonialDawg for bringing this to my attention.

Huskee Would this be a candidate to try to age?

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        IMO, inexpensive is always good to age, make it taste expensive! Never had this one though, so can't endorse it beyond suspicion and trust of the OP who has good taste.

Definitely will give it a go. Thanks!

Comment

I wasn’t gonna look at this post because of the title. But my wife insisted. Wo is me.
        Thank goodness it wasn’t what she was looking for.
        😬😁😂😂😂

Comment

103 for under $20
          gotta give it a try

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here