Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite Tequila

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favorite Tequila

Since we've got Bourbon, Scotch and Gin, how about tequila.

My current favorite, far and away is Maestro Dobel. Fantastic single estate blended tequila.

I know nothing about tequila, although I know I like it. I rememebr thinking Cuervo Gold was good...but I'm pretty sure Cuervo is the laughingstock of tequila aficionados.
    ...or maybe that would be El Torro?
    Last edited by Huskee; July 13, 2014, 06:34 AM.

Comment

• Papa Bob
      Papa Bob commented
      Editing a comment
      its great for blended margies buy the pool

• _Keith
      _Keith commented
      Editing a comment
      Cuervo isn't tequila, it's grain alcohol, water, and flavorings. The bottle needs to say "100% agave nectar" to be the real deal. What a difference it makes!

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05811.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	18723 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05813.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	18721 My other "hobby" is tequila, good sipping tequila, If you are ever in NC stop by and we will enjoy some good stories, BBQ and tequilas

Comment

• NC BBQ Maven
      NC BBQ Maven commented
      Editing a comment
      I do have the original bottles of Kah, White Yellow, Black, never did get the XA though. Kah had quite the story, repo is 55%

• Papa Bob
      Papa Bob commented
      Editing a comment
      sorry it took so long to get back but we are on our 3rd bottle, the first only lasted 1 day a very bad day. the tequila(Maestro Dobel) is great very smooth thanks for the recommendation

• SaskatoonBusche
      SaskatoonBusche commented
      Editing a comment
      OMG!! If I visited your place you'd never get rid of me......that's amazing and I'm very jealous.

Wow !

Comment

I never much cared for tequila, and on my 21st a friend bought me 4 or 5 prairie fires with bottom shelf tequila and top shelf sauce, it was both painful and disgusting. Haven't been able to tolerate it since.

Comment

I had an episode in Alaska 40 yrs. ago a friend and 2 fifths of rot gut a few hand rolled cigarettes, a case of beer a game called shot a minute and a case of the ass with my at the time boss . not a pretty evening worse day the next day could not stand the smell of tequila for a good 10 yrs. I showed him ha.

Comment

I think if you get sick on anything you develop what they call a 'taste aversion', meaning you want nothing to do with what made you sick, it's an inherent trait in humans and other animals, a protection measure. Tequila would not be a good thing to get sick on, so thick & oily, yick.

Comment

• A Fid
            A Fid commented
            Editing a comment
            That taste aversion thing doesn't seem to apply for beer.

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            You're right. This is strange. Probably why beer has stood the test of time and is by and large the most celebrated alcoholic beverage in all cultures.

Originally posted by John View Post
          I never much cared for tequila, and on my 21st a friend bought me 4 or 5 prairie fires with bottom shelf tequila and top shelf sauce, it was both painful and disgusting. Haven't been able to tolerate it since.

That is a common story. People often drink cheap tequila, which is only required to be 50% agave... Cuervo Gold has ruined a lot of people . Good tequila is as good as good bourbon or scotch.

Comment

I have not really gotten into the tequila yet. Been still building my collection of whiskeys, ryes, and single malts. I am sure impressed by your bar Maven. Is that all tequila?

Comment

Then you've got the opposite of the aversion. On my 30th birthday (a "few" years back), when I was living in Dallas, a bunch of friends took me out and I did body shots of tequila all night long with a number of women I hadn't known before and a few I hadn't known as intimately. Also donned those fake sumo wrestler getups and wrestled on an outdoor sand "mat." I've had a fond place in my heart for tequila ever since.

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Some folks simply call this "Wednesday night". Lol. Fun story.

My ex wife was the tequila drinker. Thankfully when she bailed she left the tequila, Canicas Añejo. Damn smooth and a perfect sipper for me.

Comment

Some friends and I got together to do shots of tequila. Knowing little about it except that Cuervo was garbage and to look for "100% agave", I picked up a bottle of Espolon. The first shot, we did the salt-shot-lime thing. And we stopped, looked at each other a little wide eyed, poured another round, and sipped them. We all leveled up in tequila-snobbery that night.

Comment

Yes, that is just part of it. Somewhere around 300 bottles or so. Sipping "neat" is the only way, no salt, no lime. Canicas is a good one to have. If you can get Casa Noble, Fortaleza, etc. you can't go wrong. Keith is right only buy 100% the rest will hurt you! Even in a Marg!

Comment

• Cidergregg
                    Cidergregg commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Casa Noble finally made it to NH. I found a couple of bottles tucked away in a state store and snatched them right up. Yummy.
                    Neat is how I like it and I have been searching for good sippers for a while. Unfortunately NH is pretty far from Mexico and my selection was quite limited.
                    I also enjoyed Milagro Select Barrel Reserve Blanco.
                    I use the regular Milagro for Margaritas.

Agree on the Casa Noble and Fortaleza. Two fingers in a low ball glass, neat. That's the way

Originally posted by NC BBQ Maven View Post
                  Yes, that is just part of it. Somewhere around 300 bottles or so. Sipping "neat" is the only way, no salt, no lime. Canicas is a good one to have. If you can get Casa Noble, Fortaleza, etc. you can't go wrong. Keith is right only buy 100% the rest will hurt you! Even in a Marg!

Comment

Splurged on a bottle of Don Julio 1942 Anejo (~$110) last year. I really enjoyed it and even got my wife to drink it neat.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here