Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The difference between bourbon and whiskey.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The difference between bourbon and whiskey.

I just ran across this article and thought some might enjoy it:

You might think the difference is only in the name, but it's more than that. The slight variations in recipes, aging and even geography make whiskey and bourbon two different alcohols.

Good info. I might add too that bourbon is a whisk(e)y, and the taste differences between many bourbons, ryes, and Scotches isn't simply the grain used (51% corn vs 51% rye, for example) but in the little intricacies, such as what the other 49% is (12%rye and 37% barley?; 25% rye, 15% wheat and 9% barley?, etc) and the time in the oak, 2 yrs vs 12 yrs, and the water source, and the location of the warehouses, the heat they're subject to during maturation, bottling proof, etc.

It's all SO intricate! We can easily compare it to BBQ. My brisket will taste different than yours even if we use the same size brisket and the same rub and the same cooker, because I use a different wood, a different temp, I wrap at a different time, I trimmed it differently to start, etc etc etc.

Fun stuff!

Comment

• Murdy
      Murdy commented
      Editing a comment
      The variation in the rye content of the other 49% is really pronounced in certain bourbons. Bulleit comes to mind, where you can really pick up the rye taste even though its technically a bourbon.

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      throw in the Lincoln county process and it gets even more complicated.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Murdy For sure, also Basil Haydens, Blanton's (although smooth for a high-rye), Woodford, Four Roses. Fun stuff. Bulleit Rye to me tastes smoother and sweeter than their regular bourbon.

And it will taste differently to me because I'm pairing it with food, later in the day, while some may have a glass at dawn when they wake up.

Comment

Ur right,,,it’s all the same but different

Comment

Interesting reading.
        Explains my preference for Bourbon over Scotch or corn over rye.
        The lower poof that Bourbon is put in the cask at compared to Scotch's and Whiskeys was something I did not expect.
        ****note my spelling of Whiskey****

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          That's only Jack Daniels. Most bourbons are 80-90proof, pretty standard.

• Richard Chrz
          Richard Chrz commented
          Editing a comment
          By taste I am a single malt scotch man (sherry cask), by budget, I am a what ever whiskey you will put in my glass man.

Interesting read. Thank you for sharing.

Comment

Like a rhombus and a square. All I know is either one makes me want to watch The Blues Brothers!

Comment

Japanese single malts....

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here