Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Templeton Rye, Maple Cask Finish (not what you think)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Templeton Rye, Maple Cask Finish (not what you think)

Big fan of Templeton Rye whiskey. Was in the store yesterday looking for either their 4yr or their 6yr (both excellent IMO) and found a new one- Maple Cask Finish. Now normally I'd never consider any whiskey that says Maple anything on it, but knowing that MOST distillers wouldn't add a maple flavor to a rye, and knowing that Templeton's is good stuff I decided after about 10 mins of him-hawing and trying to lookup reviews on my phone real quick (unsuccessfully) that I'd just chance it. It's aged in maple syrup barrels for 2mo, so while it may have picked up a slight sweetness from that, it's NOT maple flavored and not "sweet".

Glad I did!

Wonderful stuff. Not much sweeter than their 4yr or 6yr regular rye. Definitely not sickeningly sweet or syrupy like I was first worried about, still very much a rye. Highly recommended.

EDIT: just did a taste test between this and their 4yr regular rye. This is actually a touch bolder and spicier than their regular 4yr.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMAG3451.jpg Views:	12 Size:	1.92 MB ID:	763116

See what I mean? I’ll be broke by time the week is done I also like Templeton...enough that I have a Templeton t-shirt I wear and I generally don’t wear alcohol related clothing. I will be on the lookout for a bottle of this now.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      I too don't wear booze shirts but might be interested in this...

My dad's side of the family hails from west central Iowa about an hour northwest of Templeton. Rye isn't a crop that's commonly grown in Iowa, but it was a common crop in the area (and still is to a lesser extent). Scuttlebutt has it that the 'shiners around Templeton kept Al Capone well stocked with rye whiskey with regular deliveries from the wilds of western Iowa over to Chi-town.

In the still-uptight town of Orange City, Iowa (far northwest corner of the state), there's a weathered, hollow bronze headstone in the local cemetery that looks like a realistic tree trunk. (My parents once owned a house a few blocks away, and I can personally vouch for the headstone -- I used to be fascinated by it as a kid.) There's a plate on the back of the headstone secured with screws. Still more scuttlebutt has it that deliveries of rye from Templeton were hidden in that headstone for the secret tipplers in the town.

edit -- The headquarters are in Templeton, but they don't actually ferment, distill, or age their product there. They contracted with a distillery in Indiana to make a generic whiskey and then add "secret" flavorings to give Templeton its distinctive flavor. That got the company in trouble because they were claiming it was small batch distilled, when it really wasn't. They're working to start distilling their whiskey in the town of Templeton -- next year or two -- so they will have more right to make claims about a truly western Iowa product.
    Last edited by IowaGirl; October 30, 2019, 03:52 PM.

Comment

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      Interesting, love hearing about history like that.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Cool info! Yeah, a lot of folks use MGP to start out until they can bottle their own. Bulleit & Michter's come to mind, and even Whistlepig, while crazy expensive, hasn't been selling "their" product but instead they buy from Alberta, Canada while waiting for their own to age. They just rebottle the Canadian rye and say "bottled in VA" (technically true) and charge an enormous markup.

As much as I try, I'm just not a rye guy. I'm sure it's great, but expect I won't like it.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Well if you'ree ever in central Michigan I've got some good bourbons and a few Scotches you're welcome to. Even aging my own tequila right now. just bottled my barrel-aged gin. Mmmmm tasty!

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      That's nice of you. Aged tequila sounds great.

• DiverDriver
      DiverDriver commented
      Editing a comment
      Dewesq55 I said the same thing up until I toured a Distillery here in the Fort. It was damn tasty like rye bread... I bought a bottle great sippin. I have yet to try one with as good a taste. I will try Templeton.

Ya wanna be a Canadien….ya gotta drink yer rye....eh.....
    Something I would have walked by because of the maple on the label.
    Kudo's for doing some research and finding a diamond in the rough.
    Will check to see if its listed up here in the birthplace of rye whiskey.

Templeton 6 year is listed at the LCBO $59.95 for a 750ML bottle.
    Last edited by smokin fool; October 30, 2019, 08:07 PM.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Almost walked by it myself. Templeton 6yr is about $45 USD here. I don't like to go over $40ish but it's great. The Maple cask is only $35 here.

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      I pay in the $40's for Basil Hayden's and Angel's Envy bourbon, but not much else.

I'd prefer Maple Syrup finished in Rye barrels.

Comment

Dewesq55 If you like Basil Hayden's (a high-rye bourbon) you would like Templeton. I promise. I will buy it from you if you don't.

Comment

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        Huskee Interestingly, I find Basil very smooth and not at all spicy, unlike other high rye bourbons. I generally prefer wheated bourbons the best, other than Basil.

Doing a taste test between their regular 4yr and Maple Cask....maple cask is more bold & spicy believe it or not... and I only believe that because I'm living it right now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG3456.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	763588

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here