Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

George Dickel 9 year Single Barrel Select!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

George Dickel 9 year Single Barrel Select!

I was perusing one of my local ABC stores and, what do you know, I spot a handful of bottles of George Dickel 9 year Hand Selected Single Barrel. I checked their website and this isn’t listed among their other offerings. Apparently single barrels are private store selections only... Score!

The Dickel #12 is a great pour and has been mentioned in a few posts here already - get a bottle if you haven’t because it’s a fine whisky. I haven’t tried the single barrel yet (don’t worry I will tonight) but everything I have read gives it very high marks. Of course, the thing about single barrels is they are all different and unique, something I find appealing.

I also spotted the Dickel Barrel Select, which comes from a small batch of 10 hand selected barrels of whisky aged 10-12 years. I may have to grab one of those in the near future too, but those were a lot more plentiful than the single barrel.

And lastly, I hear there’s a 13-year bottled in bond Dickel that was just released. I haven’t been able to find that one in my stores yet but I hear GREAT things about that one. AND it costs less than $40.

I look forward to your thoughts. Never had this myself. I like the Dickel #8 & #12, great budget whiskeys.

Comment

So, the mashbill is standard Dickel - 84% corn, 8% rye, 8% barley
      The whisky is 103 proof and has been aged 9 years in new oak barrels after undergoing charcoal filtration
      Remember this is a single barrel product so the bottle you try will likely be different...

OK, so I was excited to find this bottle after reading so many positive reviews. Unfortunately, I did not enjoy this whisky at all. I don't consider 103 proof to be that high, yet I was unable to nose this without clearing out my sinuses. I tried in both a Glencairn glass and an Old Fashioned glass. The ethanol was just very overpowweing. Behind the strong ethanol I could detect classic bourbon notes - vanilla and brown sugar. But that's it. Tasting was unpleasant too. The ethanol waa really strong and the burn in the back of my mouth lingered and turned into a slight numbness. This is a headscratcher because I like high proof bourbons and regularly sip 100 - 120 proof bourbons neat and none of them burn like this one. Dickel whisky is also supposed to be more mellow than traditional bourbons, as a result of charcoal filtration. I tried to temper the strong ethanol by adding drops of distilled water. Unfortunately, the water diluted more of the flavors than it did the ethanol and I ended up adding quite a bit of water.

As I continued diluting the whisky, I finally realized I should have just tried the barrel select instead, which is a 10-12 year small batch bottled at 86 proof.

So, I'm disappointed. At $50, I expected better. I didn't expect 103 proof to be that harsh. Again, it's a single barrel, so maybe my juice came from a bad barrel. Either way, I wouldn't spend the $50 on this. Save your money and buy a barrel select for 10 bucks less, or buy a few bottles of #12.

I'm going to let this bottle sit for a coulple of weeks and try again later. Perhaps I'll have a different experience then.
      Last edited by ColonialDawg; September 28, 2019, 08:46 PM.

Comment

• Bkhuna
        Bkhuna commented
        Editing a comment
        1. I'm not a big fan of mash bills with that much corn.

I don't drink Tennessee Whisky very often, but when I do, it's Dickel no. 12.
        Last edited by Bkhuna; September 29, 2019, 07:35 AM.

Great review! Glad you tried it with water, and also that you're going to let it sit. Sometimes a week or two is enough for it to change slightly. When they're half or less full and sit a month or 3 is where I tend to notice them changing the most due to greater oxygen in the bottle. Something I've noticed too is if I dont like a whiskey, ty it again tomorrow. Maybe what I ate last or if I've chewed gum, etc can affect my perception of a whiskey. Just like with wine.

Comment

• ColonialDawg
        ColonialDawg commented
        Editing a comment
        Hopefully doing so will mellow out the strong ethanol. I just couldn't get past that on this bottle no matter the dilution. And I agree with you regarding what you last ate affecting your palate. I made sure I hadn't eaten anything before sipping this. The Glencairn just funneled that ethanol too intensely so I thought a wider mouth old fashioned glass would be better. It wasn't. It'll be interesting to compare my notes in a month or so.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        It'll be interesting to compare my notes in a month or so.
        Yup, I'd certainly be interested in a follow up review; as I noted, I've had bottles of bourbon that I initially thought were nastier than Giant Green Chancroideous Siberean Moose C***s, that actually turned out purty good, after sittin there, an agin awhile...

I’ve had one of these, but don’t remember which one. I save all the bottles and store a the lake house for decoration....drives my wife nuts. But I’ll have to see which one I have. I’ve enjoyed on or two of thE GD bottles, but a few have been hohum...

thanks for sharing!

Comment

Sorry to hear of yer disappointment...

Mebbe, now that it's open, an breathin, it'll mellow out, some...

Likeys me some High-Octane bourbons, now, an again....

Been sippin on my beddy-bye time shot, fer a while, now...wee lil swig, swish indefinitely, eventually ingest. Repeat.

Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve, 120 Proof, aged nine years...

Purty dang tasty stuff.

I'm Good.

Comment

• ColonialDawg
          ColonialDawg commented
          Editing a comment
          Wild Turkey Rare Breed is a regular on my shelf. It's 116.8 proof. The 2019 stuff is excellent. Very smooth.

• RustyHaines
          RustyHaines commented
          Editing a comment
          About 10 years ago I bought a bottle of 128.6 proof, 7 years old, Bookers. Best tasting bourbon I ever drank. It is long empty but I keep the bottle in my liquor cabinet as a reminder.

I have 2 bottles of the BiB GD. I would highly recommend getting one if you see it. It does have a blue label which stands out from most bottles so it should not be hard to spot. Some stores might even hide it behind the counter.

Comment

• ColonialDawg
          ColonialDawg commented
          Editing a comment
          Well, we’re an ABC state, so no hidden bottles. I do know it is here in VA, just not in any of my local stores. At least not yet. If I find one, you better believe I’m going to grab it.

Its listed at the LCO but currently not available up here in the sticks.

Comment

I've found that higher proof bottles need to get to just below the shoulder of the bottle, then sit for a few weeks to "mellow out". Most time it will make for a vast improvement. I also agree with Huskee that what you ate prior to enjoying your pour can change what flavors you get out of a whiskey. Try it again in a few weeks and report back on your findings.

Comment

My brother-in-law bought me a bottle of the cheaper George Dickel. I put a couple of shots in a water glass filled with ice, then add 1/2 raspberry iced tea and 1/2 sour. Makes a nice refreshing stand-by-the-smoker drink. I call it the Dickel Pickler.

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Bourbon has taken off in recent years as a popular mixing spirit. I make on-the-fly mixes all the time and I love all of them. I make a very crude version of an Old Fashioned using a slish of cherry-pomegranate grenadine syrup , a slish of quince & apple tart cherry grenadine, and a heavy dose of bitters. It's awesome!

• smokin fool
              smokin fool commented
              Editing a comment
              Guess I'm old school, into the glass, give it a swish, take a whiff, take a drink.
              Some things are just perfect as they are.

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              That's how I do it most! smokin fool

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here