Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Barrel!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barrel!

So today was my birthday, and guess what I got:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20190730_230053.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	723110 2 liter barrel, soaking now, can't wait to get some spirits in this baby.

You'll LOVE it! Just remember to allow for the "angels' share" (evaporation), you put 1.3 bottles in you won't get that out, maybe 1 bottle out...and resist the urge to sample too much as time goes on! I am still learning the latter. FWIW Buffalo Trace is a phenomenal whiskey to age, affordable and it is so good with extra oak.

Comment

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      That is what I thought, break it in with some buffalo trace. Sampling is going to be a problen though.

Nice Buffalo Trace should be a good test.

Comment

Congrats, Happy Birthday, fill 'er up with some BT!!!!

Comment

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        I will, Bonesey. By the way, I finally got some Jim Beam Black, and you were right. That is some fine sipping whiskey. After aging the BT, I am going to age some of that - should be ready around Christmas...

Congrats! And happy birthday! About Halloween you will have some fine sipping whiskey.

Comment

That looks like a barrel of fun.

Comment

Happy birthday!

Comment

I wouldn't soak it very long with any non-spirits such as water. You want to keep any oak and char for the spirits you are going to age in this thing. Just rinse and then fill with your favorite beverage!

Huskee can advise you on timing for liquor, but something to be aware of is that fresh barrels need less contact time than aged barrels. The first batch will pick up a lot more oak flavor a lot faster than the subsequent batches. We use the 53 gallon bourbon and whiskey barrels, and some 60 gallon wine barrels here for aging beer - these are barrels from Jack Daniels, Buffalo Trace, or various wineries. The first beer is typically aged long enough after 3 months and picks up plenty of oak and flavor of whatever was in the barrel. The second beer typically goes for 6 to 12 months. The 3rd beer also about 12 months, and we usually find that the barrel goes "sour" by that point, so any subsequent use of the barrel for our brew club projects has to be a sour beer such as a Flanders Red or Brown.

You won't see a barrel go sour when filled with 100+ proof spirits, but it happens with beer, even high octane 11-12% ABV beers. Critters (lactobacillus typically) get into the wood and its hard to get rid of them once that happens.
            Last edited by jfmorris; July 31, 2019, 08:21 AM.

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah jfmorris these are virgin barrels, they need a soak to expand and become water-tight.

• klflowers
              klflowers commented
              Editing a comment
              Huskee, my plan is to start (tonight!!!!) with some Buffalo Trace and let it age a few months, then I have a couple of bottles of Buffalo Trace White Dog Mash #1 that I was going to throw in there for awhile. Have you tried that?

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              I have not! klflowers that sounds like a great experiment

Sampling, also dangerous for those who dare to bring home a kegerator or you home brewers. Happy Birthday!
            Last edited by HawkerXP; July 31, 2019, 09:12 AM.

Comment

HawkerXP has this in mind I think...

Click image for larger version

Name:	32-324715_download-drinking-from-beer-tap.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	723264

Comment

• HawkerXP
                HawkerXP commented
                Editing a comment
                exactly.

• ofelles
                ofelles commented
                Editing a comment
                I thought that picture of me was long gone. Damn it, after all these years it still haunts me.

• AverageJoe
                AverageJoe commented
                Editing a comment
                This is me after work hitting up my kegged home brew in the beer fridge

Just noticed the personal message on barrel face. Awwwe. I guess you need to be welcomed into the Barrelhead Club.

Comment

• klflowers
                klflowers commented
                Editing a comment
                I'll take that welcome. If you look closely at the barrel, it says love you, Compton. My wife spent some of her youth in Compton, another reason I try and avoid making her mad...

• ofelles
                ofelles commented
                Editing a comment
                @kiflowers Happy birthday. And you are a wise man. Keep that one HAPPY.

• klflowers
                klflowers commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks, ofelles. I do my best on the keep her happy part.

Nice! Don't burn the house down!

Happy Birthday!

Comment

• klflowers
                klflowers commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks. More like don't stumble into a wall and hurt yourself.

I guess if you want to tinker with already finished bourbons that would be interesting but I went with clear spirits in my barrel (commercially bottled Tennessee white lightning) for about three months and got a pretty good home aged "bourbon" with nice color that always starts a great conversation.

Comment

• klflowers
                klflowers commented
                Editing a comment
                I actually have a bottle of unfinished buffalo trace that is destined for the barrel. It will go in eventually.

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                I've thought of that but was nervous I'd end up with a so-so "bourbon" after all the waiting. My wife bought me those charred oak spirals that I though I'd put in a jar of moonshine. I wonder if that would work?

• AverageJoe
                AverageJoe commented
                Editing a comment
                I have done it this way as well. I got an unaged corn whisky from Vermont's Spirits Distilling called Black Snake. Was wicked good after a few months and definitely hard to not sample a lot.

Happy Birthday!

Comment

• klflowers
                klflowers commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks

What a thoughtful wife. Happy Birthday, klflowers !

Kathryn

Comment

• klflowers
                klflowers commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks, Kathryn

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here