Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite tequila(s) for margaritas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My recipe is very similar to ColonialDawg

4 oz Tequila (Cabo Wabo Blanco)
    2 oz Cointreau
    2 oz FRESH squeezed lime juice
    .50 oz Blue Agave Syrup (approximate - i give the bottle a 3-count as i squeeze it into the shaker)

Add ingredients into a shaker, add ice, shake it like hell, pour unstrained into a glass (no salt for me)

If the store is out of Cabo Wabo, I'll substitute Cuervo 1800. It's hard for me to pay more for better tequilas when adding the above-mentioned ingredients to it.

A few years ago, we picked up a cheap carafe (with lid) from Ikea so we can squeeze 10-12 limes at once then store it in the refrigerator. Quick access to freshly squeezed lime juice. Just make sure to use it all within a week, otherwise it'll turn sour.
    Last edited by Onez; May 20, 2019, 11:02 AM.

Comment

• Histrix
      Histrix commented
      Editing a comment
      I also like Cabo Wabo for margaritas - decent taste at a decent price.

Ever since I worked in a liquor store 30+ years ago I have always used the recipe 2 Fingers tequila had on their posters at the time and that's how I can always remember it. It's as easy as 1-2-3. 3 parts tequila, 2 parts orange liqueur, 1 part lime.

Comment

I do the KISS margarita: 1 small can of Minute Maid Frozen Limeade and dump in blender, fill the can 4/5 full with Lanazul Tequila and dump in blender, add 1/5 can of Triple Sec; blend with ice if the temp in South Carolina is above 80; pour over rocks if temp is below 80; then enjoy myself
      The OmegaDog

Comment

Herradura & Don Julio are a couple of my faves...along with a couple Sauza & Hornitos offerings.
        But if I’m "buying by the inch" I’m much less picky. Then it’s yer getting Sauza gold. LOL

All of this reminds me of a shirt I made for myself recently... Click image for larger version

Name:	3C3574E1-624E-476F-A0A7-A35992C6803D.jpeg
Views:	163
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	680098

Comment

I like 1800 Reposado best, but Hornitos & Suaza are good too. In my experience crappy spirits make crappy cocktails. If you like the taste of the spirit neat, it will make a fine cocktail.

Comment

We use a clean mix forget the name it has cane sugar not corn syrup, Kirkland Blanco, Gran Mariner, lime juice and ice. Sometimes we add a big handful of fresh blueberries and spin it up. tastes great!

Attached Files

Comment

Been a big tequila fan since grad school. I also use to live on the border in Yuma, AZ. About monthly I would cross the border to get a new bottle and brand every time. For making good margaritas a better tequila does improve the taste. From all the ones I have tried I actually use the generic Costco silver/blanco brand. You could use more expensive brands and they would taste good but I don't think the difference in flavor is enough to justify the cost.

Comment

I use a nice silver tequila. I like Cabrito - to me it tastes as good as Patron, but costs much less. Anejo and reposado are wasted on a margarita. Bottom shelf rotgut ruins margaritas for me.

More important is to use a good orange liqueur. Cheap Triple Sec will also ruin a margarita. I like Patron Cintronge or Grand Marnier.

My recipe, which is better than any restaurant margarita I've had:

Equal parts tequila, fresh lime juice, 1:1 simple syrup. Half measure of orange liqueur if you like a more lime-y flavor, or a full measure otherwise. All goes in a boston shaker with ice. Shake. Pour everything into a salted glass.

Comment

• Buck Flicks
                  Buck Flicks commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Jose Cuervo is garbage - so my rule of thumb is to exclude anything from Cuervo on down. Use whatever tequila you like, just make sure it says 100% Agave somewhere on the bottle. Cuervo isn't 100%. It's a "mixto", 51% agave, and 49% sugar cane spirit. But the worst part is the other additives they put in. Stay away.

I like a nice El Jimador... ESPECIALLY in a margarita!

Comment

A lot of discussion on whether to use "premium" tequilas or not in a margarita. My belief is you use what you like. It’s a drink, not the fountain of youth. That being said, the term "premium" can mean something different for everyone. For me, anything above $40 (my absolute limit) is premium. For other’s that could be $30 or maybe $50. What transformed the margarita for me was using 100% blue agave tequila and fresh ingredients rather than mixes. The margarita is a good drink no matter what. Even "bad" ones are drinkable. But a margarita made with a solid tequila and fresh ingredients can be transformative. For those looking for a good 100% blue agave tequila that won’t break the bank - go get you a bottle of Lunazil. In my stores it’s on the the second to the lowest shelf - not what you would call "premium". It costs $30 for a full liter. But it is better than some tequilas in the $40 range and it doesn’t hurt to use it for large groups where you don’t want to spend a lot on tequila.

Comment

• Buck Flicks
                    Buck Flicks commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Have you ever had a margarita made with Torada "tequila"? BLECH! I think the term "rotgut" was invented to describe Torada.

You're right... just go with 100% agave and you'll probably be ok, no matter the price.

ColonialDawg nailed it.
                  As with everything we do around here...ingredients are key. This is why a lot of us tend to make our own rubs & sauces. WE control what goes into it...rather than simply opening a jar of whatever. Sure, almost everything will be edible...but it may fall well short of sublime. Certainly some mixes are better than others, but I've yet to try one that comes close to fresh lime and natural ingredients. (I really don't need corn syrup in my margaritas.)

And "premium" can indeed be a sliding scale. I have a couple "premium" grills...and yet have good friends that balk at the idea of spending $200 for theirs.

Find a tequila you like, make your margarita fresh...and enjoy the day & the company you're with.

And now I'm going to go make myself a margarita...with Sauza, because that's what I have on hand. ¡Salud!
                  Last edited by surfdog; May 24, 2019, 02:21 PM. Reason: Decided to make a drink. ;-)

Comment

• ColonialDawg
                    ColonialDawg commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sounds refreshing.

• surfdog
                    surfdog commented
                    Editing a comment
                    ColonialDawg Ended up using Hornitos...because I don't have to share. ROFL
                    Well, that and I found an unopened bottle. Yay me!

Kirkland Signature Silver 100% Agave - $20 for 1.75L - very good for margarita's.
                  http://www.tequilatourist.com/2012/0...r-tequila.html

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here