Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoking Whiskey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoking Whiskey?

Anyone every smoke their drink? I have a WSM and am interested if anyone has use it to try and make an overly complex drink

Who doesn’t love the spectacle of watching a cocktail smoker box waft aromatic smoke around their carefully crafted drink?

I have not done this, but you could try it using a smoking tube in your cooker.

Comment

I do this regularly, but without my smoker or an overpriced box ;-)

Comment

Kind of hard to get it rolled isn't it?

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Why I consider that to be bloody genius

I think a true "smoked" whiskey or such would be made from a mash that consists at least partially of a smoked grain of some sort. For example, for breweries one such ingredient is smoked malted barley, used in producing smoked beer profiles.

Comment

Make smoked ice. https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...amps-cocktails

Comment

Add an unexpected twist to your bourbon, Bloody Marys, and cocktails with this simple recipe for smoked ice. While it sounds like a challenge, creating smoked ice couldn't be easier, requiring nothing more then some wood, a grill, and ice. The end result is a smoky BBQ addition to virtually any cold drink.

Comment

Yeah, I like to smoke whiskey, tequila, and cocktails in general.

Click image for larger version

Name:	VNgmh8AfJCTuh5dsMpVdOMDhRli0J0pIaBDuG4iSFqmkSp2pyPrsSzw3Lj4Kwv6tT4H2IlQj9NDzlgEF08GoABJZdtPgtYwZOVctRfl2wjmBAkw9Mfyl_fBZ9OVUfOwVwZzIGy9UH0NME7JHwELaMkgYVFfVMkN__HiwIrvkY22-sPXtCt2OTWP87LaQxIfHxGHhFNqX09AvJ4jLvmiaIuUNTetNNLCBqE0d8cplipMO6SnsXF2VTw-B6yh3ojM
Views:	253
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	673111

Name:	gwrfW31nJfp7LHQnhwS8gRGCnmZJXoynMGK-UKA3pbuoxOtwZ1q3xCNbTWgCKMlEKmVXTSyCeocXGMlBC2D_7wxY2quwPtd2tS64hcLlW8ITPEpaMYzuE3Gu5qpJsZfp1gVEjRK9X4fpI97021MMdJYJUFX7bbI9sWo__tf4jbY2gEfL6VDeq2dt1u4myuujp16vlkAELtWHM0TebmW_m4n_Lo2OuT9KY4_8GOX1r9zrZ4KmbRNQGrgnd0VIfX9
Views:	271
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	673112

Name:	6N17ijdI8oh-oYkAUHsrl9ZoVXbOlYl8ZC_Xj5JjLi87mg5c4P5ZsSx1l0HTY_74-3lLfh_8jGkqTcl55qkhD-QENHByLE3qW72Bs--UHBnwEGqzW0mo7gGdpCNUzFeg3FSHgEooDziJFjlqWq1v1j_Sn-u_bCrCPZLaISbCkueClUhKtaKeYuDqVDlJ6rVJELdTW6Vtb8Z0f31b55odHcOQ8r4xWhFWvdUj0-tMiBMuwXD2JxpjHf9w2TcH7qX
Views:	275
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	673113

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              I figured!

Let us know what you pickup. I have always been curious about these. Attjack

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Yup Spinaker I was waitin with bated breath, too!

Take my word fer it: his Smoked Buffalo Trace is (was) most excellent!!!!

Attjack am I correct that in pic 2 yer smokin th Demitri / TJ mixture?

Tryin to learn; that smoked BT was a real game changer, seekin to engage in this sort of unruly, delicious behaviour!

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              Mr. Bones I think that smoked buffalo was the oldest anyone I know has ever tasted. Mine never lasts long. But if that works maybe should try setting a bottle aside once in awhile.

This i have never seen or heard of..

Comment

Spinaker I'm currently looking at these ones.

Name:	61NX4Zbai0L._SL1200_.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	673282

Name:	61YsThHQi-L._SL1112_.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	673283

Name:	71X1ElaQ4xL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	673284

Comment

I'm not smoking, but am drinking whiskey right now! Bottoms up!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Ya can always try th smoked ice cubes first...
                Zero investment, tasty...
                I cain't imagine ya not likin th results of smoke-infused whiskey, either way.

I've never smoked my own but might try it sometime. The smokiest whiskey I've ever had was from Balcones Distillery in Waco, Tx - their Brimstone. The grains are smoked with local scrub oak. You either like it or hate it. I like it but it is similar to licking the inside of a BBQ pit.

Comment

• Nuke em
                Nuke em commented
                Editing a comment
                Nuttin wrong with licking a bbq pits the critters wanna do it all the time

I made a smoked porter one time. I had a 55 pound sack of smoked malt, and I like porters and stouts, and I like BBQ, so makes sense, right?. It ended up being one of the few kegs of beer I’ve ever dumped out down the driveway. Even 15% of the grain bill as smoked malt resulted in a beer that had so many phenolic compounds that rather than smoke, it tasted like that aroma you get when you sniff a plastic bandaid. Horrible. I gave the rest of the smoked malt to a guy who was supposed to turn it into scotch. I was going to make a peanut butter porter too one time, until I tasted a horrible commercial example from a brewery in Birmingham. Now I keep stuff like that out of my beers....

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                I appreciate yer sharin th benefit of yer experiences...
                Might keep me from doin similar...
                Might...
                Always here to learn!

• 58limited
                58limited commented
                Editing a comment
                With smoked beers less is definitely more. Most of my 5 gallon recipes only call for about 1/4 - 1/2 lb of the smoked malt Rausch malt) - 1/2 lb is really a lot. Most professionals that I've talked with advise avoiding the peat-smoked malt altogether. Note - I brew extract with specialty grains.

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                58limited I brew all grain, and this was 3 pounds of smoked malt in about a 14 pound grain bill, so way way too high a percentage. It was a learning experience, if nothing else! I just found the recipe in BeerSmith and my notes say "Most horrible beer ever. Smoked malt resulted in plastic bandaid taste. PHENOLIC! Dumped keg down the drain." Live and learn, eh?

Milk Street magazine had an article about this. I remember the method was to light the end of a cinnamon stick, put it on a plate then place the glass on top. Can't remember how long though.

Or you could just drink Laphroaig scotch, tastes like liquid smoke.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Might be worth a try...
                We usedta freeze whiskey glasses, then very gently shotgun em full....
                Tip em back slowly, enjoy.
                Kinda still makes more sense than th cinnamon stick, actually!

Using your WSM I would think it would get too warm and vaporize the alcohol. Cold smoke only.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here