Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else like them some cachaça?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone else like them some cachaça?

I like cachaça and start drinking caipirinhas as soon as the sun comes out in the spring.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ci-leblon-cachaca-dc0220431a01d8a1.png?auto=format%2Ccompress&fm=jpeg&q=20.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	671973
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2016e6fed0354d1bd51c812c69178301657a.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	671974

I remember my brother drinking a ton of that stuff when he was living in Brazil. I remember swilling some of that back in the day.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      How did he like to drink it?

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      We always drank it straight with ice, lime and raw cane sugar. Attjack

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      I need to branch out from caipirinhas.

caipirinha

2 ounces cachaça
    1/2 of a lime
    1 heaping barspoon of sugar

Fill a rocks glass full of ice. Cut the half lime into 4 pieces and muddle with the sugar. Add the cachaça and ice and shake. Pour into the rocks glass and serve.

Comment

What kind of drink is it and what does it taste like ? I have to check it out if you can buy it in Wpg.

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Rum is made from molasses. I do not like rum. Molasses is made from sugar. Cachaça is made from fermented sugar cane. I believe it's imported into th US as a rum but in my book it's way different and far better. The smell alone is incredible. It has a unique taste. I would say more like a blanco tequila than a white rum. But like I said it's unique and not that much like either. Try it if you can.

• BRic
        BRic commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the infor. I will check it out , My son in law will like it .
        I checked it out and our liquor store sell it for $ 34.99 a bottle .
        Last edited by BRic; April 29, 2019, 10:54 PM.

I worked in Brazil where there a perhaps hundreds of cachaca brands. A few are excellent but impossible to get in the US. The few brands we get are definitely made for mixing.

Cachaca falls into the Rhum Agricole category.

Comment

Will have to try. You had me at lime!

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        I go through a lot of limes.

Took some digging but found it at the LCBO.
      Pitu Cachaca $29.15 or Novo Fogo Silver Cachaca $43.55 a bottle.
      Seems to be something they keep in stock.
      Will have to give it a try for those days where one gets "beered" out and I'm outta Gin.
      Any other recipes, at a spoonful of sugar per drink I'll be the same size as my shed by the end of the summer.
      Thinking tonic water could be an alternative?

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        You could try substituting stevia. But a teaspoon of sugar is 16 calories and 2 ounces of Cachaça is 128. So drinking these is 144 calories each drink. Not low calorie but not high calorie either.
        Last edited by Attjack; April 30, 2019, 07:34 AM.

Refreshing drink. I believe this is what some Brazilian hotels give you when checking in.
      Last edited by HawkerXP; April 30, 2019, 07:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Attjack View Post
        caipirinha

2 ounces cachaça
        1/2 of a lime
        1 heaping barspoon of sugar

Fill a rocks glass full of ice. Cut the half lime into 4 pieces and muddle with the sugar. Add the cachaça and ice and shake. Pour into the rocks glass and serve.
        The cocktail sounds really sweet. Is it? I like more of a gin&tonic level of sweetness. Is it sweeter than that?

Kathryn

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          You can control the sweetness by regulating the sugar. It can be tart, sweet, or somewhere in between depending on your preference.

I have to be in the mood for cachaca. Being that it is distilled from fermented sugar cane juice and barely aged, it is very grassy and funky (a little too much for my palate). Caipirinhas, however, are not bad. Very similar to a daiquiri, but more tart (because you muddle whole limes) and not as sweet. I actually prefer muddling raw can sugar or even Demerara sugar, which I find balances the funk of the cachaca a little better.

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          That's my sugar preference as well for caipirinhas.

• ColonialDawg
          ColonialDawg commented
          Editing a comment
          Great minds think alike!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here