Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flaviar online whiskey & spirits club- we both get a free bottle!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flaviar online whiskey & spirits club- we both get a free bottle!

I have been a member of Flaviar, an online whisk(e)y & spirits club, for about a year maybe more. If you've heard of it, are interested in joining, or know you want to join for sure, please let me know by either PMing me here or emailing me, and I can give you a referral code that will get us both a free bottle!

What I like about them is that they have a LOT of great tasting notes on different liquors & whiskies and really help you find things that you might enjoy based on what you already enjoy. You can get a free tasting kit (3 samples) of bourbon, Scotch, gin, tequila, whatever you choose, every quarter for free as a member, or you can buy more. I've discovered 3 things my wife & I love form their tasting kits. You get free shipping on any order once a month. If you're a connoisseur, or want to be, this place is worth taking a peek at. I got 2 tasting kits when I joined, I think everyone does.

What's it cost?

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep, what djl said below. So $20/month or $17.50/mo if paid yearly. Every 3 mo. you get a free tasting kit, most are $35-40, and every month you get a free shipping credit on any size order. I have found whiskeys there I can't find locally, conversely I've found higher prices on some I can cheaper locally. It's a gamble, but the tasting kits and info they have make it a fun hobby and good value for me. Hate to use this comparison, but maybe somewhat like the AR for whiskey in some respects.

$60 every thee months or $210 if pay for the year upfront...

Comment

Update: Currently the free bottle we'd both get is Breckenridge bourbon.

I had a sample of it months ago and I don't remember it specifically. I remember liking it, but how exactly it compares to some of my other faves escapes me. I do have some coming so I can give my review of it later. Breaking Bourbon rates it very favorably.

Comment

i used my free shipping the first day not realizing you only get one a month, sent them an email to find out what happened and they reset it, giving me another one. sure i will get my $210 worth as they have a lot of product i can't buy at our state run abc stores.

Comment

• mountainsmoker
          mountainsmoker commented
          Editing a comment
          Yea the ABC system in NC is terrible.

Just tried to sign up. Thanks for the link Huskee

Unfortunately it's not available in PA.

Nor Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Kentucky, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Vermont, West Virginia, and Wyoming.

Comment

• Santamarina
          Santamarina commented
          Editing a comment
          CA has a lot of crap regulations and taxes, but alcohol is surprisingly one of the most relaxed. We can get just about anything (as long as the distributor sells to CA) anywhere - beer, wine, liquor are available at any market, gas station, you name it. Pretty much the only restriction we have is alcohol sales are prohibited between 2am-6am daily (that goes for store and bars). And yes, we have a couple local bars that are only closed from...you guessed it...2am-6am seven days a week!

• au4stree
          au4stree commented
          Editing a comment
          Sigh.... I’m not surprised AL is on the nor list. 😔 oh well

• pkadare
          pkadare commented
          Editing a comment
          Nor all of Canada, though then again, we have limits on alcohol transportation across provincial borders.

I am taking a bourbon (and spirits) sabbatical. How long does the offer last? If I start now, the sabbatical will end quickly. I am a weak man with no willpower - at least where it comes to bourbon. And whiskey. And rum. And beer. And - wait, do I sound like an alcoholic???

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Huskee, lets not talk about timing then, lol. If I am not working, well, who knows...
          Agreed. I only switch to addin a lil whisky to my coffee cup after I been up several hours, on a weekend day, an all kinda coffeed out.... Course, I git up prob 0530, even on an off day.
          2 days outta 7 makes fer 0.2857142857142857% of th time I git to enjoy a drink before at least 1630, or later...
          I'm okay with that. Makes me one o them there 'Connie Sewer' thingies, I'd haveta reckon.
          Most of th time, leastwise...

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          Mr. Bones, I gave in and joined Huskee in the club. I like your math, hadn't thought about it in those terms. When you look at it like that, why there's hardly any harm at all almost.

• dahcopilot
          dahcopilot commented
          Editing a comment
          only if you go to meetings

I'd love to do this. Unfortunately, I live in a backwards state with backwards laws where alcohol is concerned. Probably a good thing since our laws are so relaxed concerning guns.

Can't buy booze on Sunday. Can't buy any kind of alcohol before noon on Sundays. Grocery/convenience stores are not allowed to sell alcoholic beverages over 17%ABV. Liquor stores are only allowed to be open from 10am-9pm Monday-Saturday. Can't buy any alcohol from a store after midnight. Bars must stop selling alcohol at 2am. Can't have alcohol shipped to you from outside the city you live in. Dumb, puritanical crap.

Comment

• Bkhuna
          Bkhuna commented
          Editing a comment
          Blame the Distributors and the Politicians that accept their bribes, uh, I mean, campaign contributions.

Years ago, I had to drive from Florida to Georgia just to buy real Japanese beer because it came in 733 mL bottles. Florida had regulation on beer that said it could only be sold in 12, 16, or 32 ounce bottles. The big three didn't want any competition. The laws have finally be relaxed, but the point is now mute, because Kirin, Sapporo, and Asahi no longer sell Japanese beer in America.
          Last edited by Bkhuna; May 28, 2019, 05:27 AM.

• Buck Flicks
          Buck Flicks commented
          Editing a comment
          What do you mean by "no longer sell Japanese beer in America?"

• Thunder77
          Thunder77 commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds a lot like Oklahoma

Buck Flicks It's similar here in PA. ALSO, and I think this is worse, we can't hunt on Sundays.....

Slight disclaimer, we can hunt for 'yotes and crows on Sunday. No deer, small game, waterfowl, elk, turkey, etc....

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow! Never heard of that.

• Buck Flicks
          Buck Flicks commented
          Editing a comment
          That's interesting. And ridiculous.

In Texas, car dealerships aren't open on Sundays. If they are going to open on a Sunday, they can't be open on Saturday. They can only be open one day per weekend.

Update: I received a bottle of Breckenridge today and, despite the fact that it was only 10:15am, I had to try it. (Breckenridge is the free bottle Flaviar is currently offering to you & me if you were to join up with my link).

I love it!

Breckenridge is very flavorful, no off flavors (to me), luscious mouthfeel, less cinnamon spice in favor of sweet & buttery (young corn), creamy. It is a smooth blended bourbon. You'd never guess by its flavor that it's a young 2-3yr old whiskey with a high rye mashbill...that might make you think harsh and unfriendly, but not at all! It has a very drinkable character like that of Blanton's, but a touch smoother. They reportedly use snow-melt from the mountains in their water supply, rich in minerals, which allows them to produce such a friendly bourbon in little time, keeping the price down.

The current price on this bottle is ~$45, and IMO it's worth every penny. Two thumbs up.

Edit: My wife's not a huge fan, at least not as big a fan as me. She says it has a floral smell and a strange aftertaste. I get none of that, I really enjoy it and think there is no aftertaste. But I guess that's why they say everyone's palate is different. I hope my review shed some light on Breckinridge for you.

Comment

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          I need to check on that - I haven't received mine yet. Glad it is good.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          klflowers sure hope you like it! I really do, my wife, she says "meh".

• Sephon
          Sephon commented
          Editing a comment
          Salt in the wound Huskee, salt in the wound.......

klflowers Have you gotten it yet?

Comment

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          I got it yesterday. Didn't get to taste it yet, but I think I am going to like the club.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          klflowers I don't know what time zone you're in, but here it's 9am, so as long as your coffee cup's empty it's time to taste the bourbon!

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          I would, but my boss doesn't drink so i can't bribe her with a shot or 2. This evening though...

have still not received my breckenridge, but did get my sampler. boy, that did not last long!

Comment

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          Both of mine came at the same time yesterday afternoon. Haven't had the chance to open them though. I think I am going to like the club - all of it looked pretty good.

• dahcopilot
          dahcopilot commented
          Editing a comment
          mine still has not shipped

OK, so I got my first shipment from Flaviar, and I was pretty impressed. I got a 750ml bottle of Breckenridge Bourbon, and 3 sample sized bottles. One each of Breckenridge, Few Rye Whiskey and Wolfburn Single Malt Whiskey. I agree with Huskee's take on the Breckinridge - it is a really smooth bourbon. I have never been able to describe the different aspects of tasting - probably because I have smoked for years - but it is an excellent bourbon. Up there with my 2 favorites, Buffalo Trace and Four Roses Single Barrel. The packaging for the samples was pretty neat, they were nestled (always wanted to use the word nestled) in a round cask like container. My wife is not a bourbon drinker, but she likes whiskey, so we tasted the Wolfburn. Another hit - both of us really liked it. It was pretty smooth too. I think I am going to like this club; thanks again Huskee for turning us onto this.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	Flaviar.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.99 MB ID:	683014

Comment

I got my initial package last Thursday. Was very surprised to find a small bottle of WhistlePig! When I openned the box Saturday. Very excited to try it! I did get a tasting of Breckinridge, Few (Rye), and Wolfburn (Scotch). After klflowers review. I might break into tastings tonight.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by djl; May 27, 2019, 05:50 PM. Reason: Missed an "l"

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow, that's great. I never got a bottle of Whistle Pig. Lucky!

Bump, anyone else interested?

Anyone else a member? What do you think, love it, hate it? I've done a side by side on 2 bottles of Breckenridge, both their regular and their Reserve Blend. Good stuff. I think I favor the Reserve, a little more oak.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here