Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Faux aging anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Faux aging anyone?

Just curious if anyone here has experimented with aging your own whiskey or any other spirit?

I’ve never tried aging bourbon at home but I have done it with rum and the results have been quite nice so far. I bought a toasted oak spiral from amazon and put half a spiral in a quart mason jar with Wray and Nephew White overproof rum and let it sit about 30 days or so. The results is a mahogany oakey Jamaican rum that not only works very well in cocktails (think Mai Tai) but also isn’t a bad sipper (although dilution helps to take way the bite of this particular rum). I haven’t tried any of those small charred oak barrels yet as I just don’t want to pay $50-60, but that’s just me. I know some have gotten great results with them.

What faux aging have you tried at home and did you like the final product? Please share your results!

Check out Huskee posts. I thought he did.

Comment

I've been aging for quite some time now. Is denying your age the same as faux aging?

Comment

If I tried this, the entire state of Minnesota might burn down. LOL

Comment

I do something similar with a few of my beers, to simulate a beer aged in say a bourbon barrel. I buy these type of toasted oak cubes, soak 2 ounces of them in a pint of bourbon for a week or two, then dump them into a 5 gallon batch of say a porter or stout, to give it the oak/bourbon character of a barrel aged beer. I leave them in the keg or carboy for a few weeks to a month or two, so the beer can soak the bourbon and oak from the cubes. Sometimes I dump the entire mason jar into the keg, but then you have a keg of something that tastes like a boilermaker...

They also sell a variety of oak spirals:

Comment

ColonialDawg Yes, do it!!! I can't recommend it enough, it is incredible the difference it makes. (If you're patient).

Here's a post Attjack made a few months ago: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...e-some-whiskey
            Here's one I made a few months ago which spawned his: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...red-oak-barrel

I have used both the 1L and 3L barrels. For my 1L, I went 2 months and that was plenty. Even 1 month transformed the whiskey into something vastly different. I bottled half at 1 month and half at 2. My wife liked the 1 mo better, I liked the 2 better. Sadly, because it was only a 1L barrel, there was only about 1/3 bottle in each bottling. So I decided for the effort I want MORE! The Amazon seller (drop shipper? Not sure, don't care) I used is named Sofia's Findings. They included seasoning instructions to waterproof the barrel which is handy and a necessity before using. They will customize for free, either on the Amazon site or you can upload a graphic and they will burn it on for free. Their barrels are excellent, no complaints, although I have no experience with any others.

In my 3L (holds four 750mL bottles) I am currently at just over 3 months and I may go 5 or 6, not sure yet. It tastes incredible now, but I know it has more to go.

The smaller the barrel, the more liquid-to-wood so the quicker it goes. Conversely, bigger barrels need a little more time. How much exactly I am still learning.

I have the wood spirals too, my wife bought me some, but I haven't used them yet. I may get a small jug of moonshine and try it.

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Bourbons- Weller Special Reserve & Buffalo Trace. Gins- New Amsterdam & Beefeater. My opinion is that one should age cheaper bourbon and make it into pricier bourbon, so that's what I've been doing. But I start with a cheaper bourbon I already know I love, so that I know I'll love it more after! ColonialDawg

• ColonialDawg
              ColonialDawg commented
              Editing a comment
              Ah, never er mind. I read one of your linked threads. I just might have to get one of those barrels afterall.

• barelfly
              barelfly commented
              Editing a comment
              you know, as I currently go through my dry-aging process with three various projects, seeing this post pop up......oh...I see a purchase in my very near future!

ahahah!

Has anyone tried aging with an oak spiral/stave vs barrel and did you notice any differences?

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              My wife bought me some, haven't tried them yet. I suspect they're for a really small amount (like a Mason jar of moonshine for instance) or something you only want a slight hint of oak in. Haven't played yet, but will soon enough.

• ColonialDawg
              ColonialDawg commented
              Editing a comment
              I’ve used the spirals a couple of times and really like them. Both times they made my rum a deep mahogany color (after 8 weeks). I just wonder if it’s much different than a barrels you recommend. I’m guessing the advantage of the barrel is you can use it multiple times while most say the spirals are single use, although I plan to do an experiment using the spiral first to age whiskey and then rum immediately afterward to see if there is a difference.

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              I bet you're right!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here