Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vodka video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vodka video

I thought this video about vodka from NPR was quite informative. https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2...as-fancy-vodka

Ha. Good video. Guess he is saying we should all drink the cheap stuff.

Comment

I can definitely taste the difference between Smirnoff, Deep Eddy and Titos. I can also attest that the latter of the two leave me feeling fine the next morning. I pretty much drink it every night.

Comment

I have some really good Vodka atm. A Russian friend of mine bought to me. Left one is moonshine vodka and right is Russian national. I had a bottle of the moonshine 4 years ago and is excellent. Keep in freezer and drink it in shots.
        Attached Files

Comment

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          is it weird I read your post with a thick Russian accent in my head?

I'm not fussy about vodka used for a bloody mary but for a vodka 7 with a twist of lime it's Tito's or Grey Goose.

Comment

I personally don’t drink alcohol so I have no knowledge of taste. What I was wondering is if the difference is in the actual distillation process. When I was in college I took several chemical analysis courses and could see differences in results when the same compound is processed slightly differently. Since according to this video one standard for vodka is that it must be tasteless, is the premium based on better distillation, thus removing more impurities, or some other factor? Just wondering.

Comment

• Ahumadora
            Ahumadora commented
            Editing a comment
            Usually by halfway through the bottle my taste buds have been pickeld.

• ddmcwhirter
            ddmcwhirter commented
            Editing a comment
            These days I think it swings on the quality of the added flavors.

• Old Glory
            Old Glory commented
            Editing a comment
            How it is distilled makes a difference. Grain or potato? The water used in the process. How is it filtered? These all impact flavor and smoothness.

This post reminds me of a funny story.

I have a buddy that when we would go out for hot wings he would drink Grey Goose and Lemonade. I told him one time he was crazy spending the extra money for Grey Goose.

The next time we went out and the first time he went to the restroom I had the bartender make a Grey Goose and Lemonade and a Smirnoff and Lemonade.

When he got back from the restroom he asked me what’s this. I told him if he could tell me which one was Grey Goose and which one was Smirnoff I’d buy his wing and if he couldn’t he’d buy my wings.

He smiled like he had it in the bag then drank a sip of both, then the smile disappeared. He had another sip of both and then turned to me and said two words. The first one rhymed with Truck and the second one was You.

That night I ate for free and I’ve never seen him order Grey Goose and Lemonade again. He must like saving the $2 a drink.

😂

Comment

Combine this with Meathead ‘s "marketers" post & you get the picture. How much of it is in one’s mind?

Comment

Cold River Vodka from Maine is my hands down favorite. If you drink martini's or straight rocks you can definitely tell the difference between vodkas. Smoothness, viscosity, subtle flavors. A good vodka should taste soft not hard, creamy not watery, smooth not rough. It should not be bitter or caustic, it should not burn your palate. For mixing Tito's is my choice.

Comment

Interesting video. However I disagree. You can definitely taste the difference between vodkas if you taste them straight up side by side. When making vodka the straight alcohol is cut with water to get to the desired proof. The water used makes a huge difference in how the final product will taste. That water imparts flavor and texture. Hard vs soft water. Was the water filtered by carbon or reverse osmosis? For example a bottle of Evian tastes differently than a bottle of Poland Springs. Evian is soft while Poland Springs is crisp. My tap water tastes like crap and would ruin a vodka.

Differences are subtle and will mostly be lost in a mixed drink. The distilling process also makes a difference. The more times it is distilled the more impurities are removed. Then it is filtered. That can remove even more impurities. This can affect your hangover.

Here is a pretty good summary:

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here