Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Virgin 101 7 year bourbon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Virgin 101 7 year bourbon

Welp, here is yet another great bottom shelf budget bourbon that you must try..... if you can find it.

From what I gathered in my research, Virgin bourbon is a Heaven Hill distillate that is bottled by Luxco. Many believe this is just rebranded Old Ezra 7 year that is mostly exported. I wouldn’t know because we don’t get Old Ezra here in Virginia. Unfortunately this bourbon is only available in select markets - Japan, Alabama, North Carolina, and Virginia are the ones I know of. There could be other markets I am unaware of, but it appears to be mostly here in the southern US.

Here’s what I do know: it’s a 7 year aged bourbon that is charcoal filtered and bottled at 101 proof. And it retails for less than $20 ( I picked up a bottle for $13). Come on.

The black label screams cheap bourbon which is why I think it is easy to walk into almost any ABC store here in VA and see plenty of these bottles sitting on the shelf. What most people don’t realize is the juice in these bottles is actually pretty darn good. Don’t let the label and price tag fool you.

Click image for larger version  Name:	E8EE1F51-BA34-421E-B186-C3E5098757C2.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	21.1 KB ID:	638143

At 101 proof the bourbon has a nice bite. You can tell it has a high rye content because it is spicey. Brown sugar and vanilla are dominant. Oak is also prominent. The finish is pretty short but pleasant. It isn’t a bourbon that will blow you away but you’ll be pleasantly surprised after you pick up the bottle and do a double take. It’s a steal for what you are paying. I would put this in the category of Evan Williams white label, and that’s a good thing.

For less than $20, you really have nothing to lose by buying a bottle. This is a versatile bourbon that you can enjoy neat, mixed with cola, or served in a nice cocktail like a Manhattan. As long as it is available, Virgin 101 will definitely be in my rotation.

Last edited by ColonialDawg; February 19, 2019, 02:11 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here