Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big Box Whiskey Breakdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Box Whiskey Breakdown

I picked up the winter 2018 'Whiskey Advocate' magazine and they had a nice article on "Big Box" private label whiskey's (Costco, Trader Joe's, Walmart & Total Wine.) They blind tested over 40 whiskey's and here is the cliff notes version:

Bad: American whiskey's (with one exception noted below)
    Average: Blends, Irish & Canadian Whiskey
    Best: Single Malt Scotch (fared the best due to high production & rigid standards.)

Sources:

Independent bottlers (Scotch & Irish whiskeys): Alexander Murray & Co. and Duncan Taylor are the main distributors. They work with large distillers (who also trade casks with other distillers) and they also obtain casks & new-make spirits independently to blend & create custom brands for their clients.

Bulk Spirits Producers: Distillers that have subsidiaries or divisions that provide bulk spirits for private labels. Example: William Grant & Sons is the parent company of Glenfiddich & Balvenie, and they operate Quality Spirits International. You'll find this company referenced on several scotch labels sold at Total Wine (under the name Glen Fohdry & Grangestone.)

American bourbon/whiskey labels must include the location of the bottler or producer. If "Indiana" is the source then it's most likely from 'MGP Ingredients' which supplies hundreds of labels. If it lists an unfamiliar name then it may require googling to find out who the distiller is.

Ratings: (the article rated 11 bottles but here are the highlights)

TOP RATED : 92 - Kirkland 20 year old sherry cask finished Speyside single malt scotch ($58)

Value picks:

91 - Kirkland 7 year old Tennessee straight bourbon ($30)
    91 - Total Wine & More Glen Fohdry Aiteal an Oir 12 year old Speyside single malt scotch ($38)
    90 - Trader Joe's Glen Moray 16 year old Speyside single malt scotch ($40)
    88 - Total Wine & More Olde Point 4 year old blended Canadian whiskey ($15)
    Last edited by Larry Grover; January 23, 2019, 08:55 AM.

I've read, here I think, that Costco's "Kirkland Tennessee Whisky" is George Dickel, and I don't doubt that. Great stuff for its price, undoubtedly even better priced as Kirkland at Costco. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Husky That would a good thing because I tried Dickel #12 for the first time this week...definately enjoyable and good value buy. The magazine said Kirkland's bourbon compared favorably to Knob Creek.

Also, I sobered up and read the rest of the magazine. Didn't notice towards the back they listed all 41 ratings & tasting notes for the big box brands. They are currently up on their website but you have to search by brand.

Kirkland & Trader Joe's is easy to search. Total Wine & Walmart is more tricky because you have to search by the fake distiller name on the bottle...Shieldag, Glen Fohdry, Granndach etc.

Comment

WOW what a great web site, thanks for sharing

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here