Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

George Dickel No. 12 Tennessee Whisk(e)y

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

George Dickel No. 12 Tennessee Whisk(e)y

Before I dive in, this is another budget bottle that you need to buy if you see it on the shelf. At $30 a liter in my neck of the woods, it is a steal.

In case you are wondering, George Dickel whisky (as is most all of Tennessee whisky) is not a bourbon, even though it is aged in new charred American oak barrels. That’s because before entering the barrel, the whisky is chilled to 40 degrees and then added to vats containing sugar maple charcoal. This step is called the "Lincoln County process" and is supposed to mellow the whisky and filter out all the harsh impurities. Apparently that sugar maple charcoal is burned on site at the distillery, making for a nice welcome to its visitors.

The mash bill of Dickel No. 12 is 84% corn, 8% rye, and 8% malted barley, and it is bottled at 90 proof. The whisky is aged a minimum of 4 years but I have read in multiple places that most of the barrels are aged between 6-12 years.

This is a very pleasant whisky that I really enjoy sipping neat. Because it has a high corn mashbill, it is sweet (which I like) but not cloying. I can definitely taste hints of maple along with vanilla, apple, and some light peppery spices. The wood hangs out in the background and helps to give it a nice finish.

Based on some of my research, this whisky seems to get better and better with some air and time. In fact I watched a blind taste test on a YouTube channel and both tasters said they would easily pay over $100 for a bottle before they knew what they were drinking! That particular bottle was over half empty, though, so I think the whole air and time thing has to be considered. Not a bad thing for a $30 bottle to improve and become a $100 bottle with air and time. That’s a good investment in my book. Nonetheless, I really like this whisky and I can see how it can easily be a daily drinker at a killer price.

Sipping it now! It is awesome! I highly recommend. I made a post about it a month or two ago, couldn't believe I had missed this affordable whisky all this time. In my area it is $24/bottle, cheaper than Buffalo Trace. Just bought two more bottles recently, because my local store only had 2. Definitely more spice & more going on than its high corn mashbill might suggest. Can't say enough good things. Never noticed the air time difference, but I only pay attention to that with wine. I will say the last sip in a bottle is every bit as good as the first!

My table two minutes ago, as I was typing this...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG2193.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	621298

Comment

• ColonialDawg
      ColonialDawg commented
      Editing a comment
      Bro, I'm sorry I missed your post. This whisky is a real gem.

Got that added to my shopping list. Go see if I can find. Thanks.

Comment

I'll have to give this a try! I love trying all different bourbons & Tennessee style whiskey that have a high corn, low rye mash bill. Thanks for posting about it.

Comment

That’s what I use when I make mh’s bourbon beans

Comment

Meet George Dickel ......

Comment

Never tried it. I had it on my list for the Bevmo holiday $25 off $100 coupon. It never came and I forgot about it so thanks for the reminder.
            Last edited by Larry Grover; January 10, 2019, 11:22 PM.

Comment

My understanding is that either this (or more likely, the #8) is what Kirklands sells as their Tennessee Whiskey.

I haven't tried it yet, but it's on my list for my next visit to the liquor store.

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Good to know. And no one needs a membership to buy booze at stores like Costco & Sams. Even the #8 is really good, but side by side the #12 wins in my book, much more going on & a little spicier.

• Buck Flicks
                Buck Flicks commented
                Editing a comment
                Wait... I can buy liquor at Costco and Sam's without a membership??

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Yessir! Well, at least in MI. I may be getting ahead of myself if other states have other laws. But I know here we can.

Thanks, I'm heading out tomorrow to restock on a few items. I'll look for this. If I splurge it's 46, then plain ol' Makers and I do like Jack.

Comment

• ColonialDawg
                ColonialDawg commented
                Editing a comment
                I hear Dickel Rye is very good. It’s on my list to try. If you want something delicious yet different that doesn’t break the bank, try High West Double Rye.

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Both Maker's are always stocked in my bar, great stuff!
                Have ya tried th Knob Creek, especial th Single Barrel? Love dat stuff!

• Larry Grover
                Larry Grover commented
                Editing a comment
                Mr. Bones Just picked up Knob Creek SB last week on sale. First time drinker and I like it, just need a big ice ball to get it down...it's like rocket fuel. I'm kind of a wuss right now though because I've been drinking a lot of expensive & smooth scotch that doesn't require much water. Dalwhinnie 15 year is $49 at Trader Joes, that's a great deal.
                Last edited by Larry Grover; February 1, 2019, 12:19 AM.

This and another thread is what lead me to this purchase yesterday. Had my first GD #12 last night and it was very good. I think it was $24?? Maybe $21? I don’t remember. Also picked up a handle of Wellers SR.

Ive got a nice collection in the cabinet right now 😁 GD #12, Blantons, Buffalo Trace, Wellers SR and Two Stars. Oh and a bottle of Balvenie Scotch that....will be around for a while.

Thanks to all that keep providing recommendations.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Jealous of that Weller. Might not win the hearts of snobs but I think it's very good, REALLY good re-aged in a barrel. GD12 has become my new go-to. Just picked up 2 more bottles the other day.

• barelfly
                barelfly commented
                Editing a comment
                Huskee I can’t find Weller in my hometown, I pick this up in a little town in southern New Mexico that has an amazing selection of bourbon in a tiny grocery store that makes you feel like you are walking into the ‘60s. Thus the reason for the big jug 😁 not sure when I’ll be back that way.

• ColonialDawg
                ColonialDawg commented
                Editing a comment
                I never tried the OWSR, but I have a half bottle of OW Antique on my shelf. One of my all time favorites.

noted....as luck would have it I need a new bottle here...

Comment

Ahm'a haveta sniff roun town, see if I can find some No. 12!!!!

Bar's lookin kinda Mother Hubbard; down to only 14 Bourbons an TN whiskies, right now...

They last me quite some time, less'n I makes me up some baked beans...

Comment

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm with you, in fact I may be even more Hubbarded than you, I think I only have 9, maybe 11. Tough times we live in.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here