Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm going to age some whiskey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm going to age some whiskey

I received a whiskey barrel for Christmas because after seeing Huskee 's I had mentioned to my GF that I would like one for myself. I am planning on aging a commercial whiskey to enhance its flavor. Should be fun!

Click image for larger version  Name:	whiskeybarrel.jpg Views:	1 Size:	222.3 KB ID:	613407
    Last edited by Attjack; December 27, 2018, 11:29 AM.

Interesting!

Comment

I have a 3 liter aging barrel, but never tried anythign but aging my own whiskey ..... now I'm gonna have to figure this out!

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Attjack Wasmund's usually

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Sometimes Prestige .... both are pretty cheap, not great quality. The difference after aging is amazing

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Cool stuff.

...not to mention that thing just looks cool.

--Michael

Comment

don't go blind!

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          I'll try not to.
          Last edited by Attjack; December 27, 2018, 11:30 AM.

• Murdy
          Murdy commented
          Editing a comment
          Or blow yourself up!

♫♪♫"Roll Out Th Barrel..."♫♪♫
        Wants me one of them...

What would smoke-infused BT be like, after some solitary time in "Th Cooler" ? Hmmmm...

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          That's a good question!

FWIW, distilling one's own alcohol is frowned upon by the federal gubmit... having said that, I have often wondered if the excellent moonshine I have obtained from time to time through an aquaintance would be good to use for aging. I suspect it would.

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          I believe that's how good whiskey is made, my friend.
          Last edited by Attjack; December 26, 2018, 04:28 PM.

• cgrover60
          cgrover60 commented
          Editing a comment
          All whiskey / bourbons etc are made from clear spirits aged in oak barrels so aging "moonshine" in an oak barrel is essentially a similar process. I did a batch earlier this year using Ole Smoky Mountain Moonshine that has become quite outstanding over time.

• Dr ROK
          Dr ROK commented
          Editing a comment
          Throw some toasted oak chips (available at wine supply stores or amazon) in that moonshine and you'll be amazed at the nice smokey flavor you can add in addition to smoothing it out.

I have a friend with a still, makes shine, has barrel in his garage where he ages his own. It’s outstanding

Comment

Originally posted by Steve R. View Post
          FWIW, distilling one's own alcohol is frowned upon by the federal gubmit...
          Wha, Brother???? Th Hail, ya say!

Obviously, word of this has not, thus far, reached all geographical locations included in its dastardly coverage...

Certainly, first I've heared of such a thing...

Shine On!!!!!

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            well, of course I intend to use the alcohol I distill for fuel.

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            Personally, I drank enough whiskey to float a battleship around.

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Personally, I drank enough whiskey to float a battleship around.
            Here, too, Once Upon A Time...
            (Wasn't bright enough to pour any in th tank, fer fuel)...
            Attjack

I would save so much money if I made my own...

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            That'd make two of us, Brother...

Be careful what you wish for, haha!

I am a beer brewer, and producing whisky basically involves making beer without hops , letting the yeast work to produce alcohol, then distilling the results, usually multiple times, to produce alcohol of the desired strength. Then you age it for years in a barrel. The smaller the barrel the less aging required, as the surface to liquid contact area is much higher on a smaller barrel.

You may want to just get your commercial liquor of choice and age, as it will require basically brewing, fermenting and distillation equipment. That last distillation part is also technically a felony without a license from the feds. A buddy of mine bought some still equipment online, and got a letter from the ATF a month later... Farmers are actually allowed to distill ethanol for fuel purposes on their farm, but not for consumption purposes.

Have fun however you go, but my recommendation is to build the still and avoid buying fully asseembled components, as that is what triggers the reseller to report you to the ATF.
          Last edited by jfmorris; December 26, 2018, 03:07 PM.

Comment

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the advice. I have brewed and own all the equipment. It's interesting that the ATF contacted your friend since owning a still is legal. Also, a federal fuel permit is free and easily accessible. http://www.ttb.gov/forms/f511074.pdf

There are also fermenting and distilling groups on facebook with tens of thousands of members. If small time moonshiners are a target for federal agents it must be easy pickings for them.
            Last edited by Attjack; December 26, 2018, 03:32 PM. Reason: Added second paragraph

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Attjack apparently you can buy the components but if you buy something like a competely assembled still head from Hill Billy Stills, they report that sale to the ATF. His letter was to inform him that it was illegal to still for consumption purposes.

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            I would never doubt your word so I know that's what occurred. But I am surprised. They sell stills here in my state in the brew shops, and federally, stills of all sizes are legal to possess. Making alcohol for human consumption remains illegal without a permit, but stills are used for making distilled water, essential oils, and perfumes. However, I don't know if my state requires ATF notification upon making a purchase.

I have a cousin that says, couz, I got something over int he truck I want you to look at. The first time, I fell for it and he fed me apple shine till I couldn't see straight. Now I stay away from his truck...

Comment

Many years ago I got a visit from the DEA who inspected my hydroponic "grow operation" as they put it. Luckily the only herbs I was growing was Cilantro, Chives and Basil. I had merely ordered a new light bulb for my grow light from a hydroponics store by mail. Look up "Operation Green Merchant." Just saying. Fortunately I was able to send them packing with some hydroponic tomatoes and cucumbers.

Comment

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              Donw living in the Pacific Northwest, our veggie garden has to be started indoors, then the sprouts can move to the greenhouse, and then in May they finally can be planted safely. Instead of buying grow lights, I built my own from stuff at the hardware store. Was a fun project and no visit from the DEA since I didn't end up on some stupid list.

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              Fortunately, the days of grow lights being contraband are long passed on the West Coast.

• Buck Flicks
              Buck Flicks commented
              Editing a comment
              Cilantro should be the illegal herb, not marijuana.

Aside from the wait, this is one of the more fun hobbies I've recently taken to. It's fun making $60 whiskey from $25 whiskey with a little patience.

Comment

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              How long do you find it takes? I know with a small barrel it's supposed to happen pretty quickly with so much surface area to volume. Kind of like smoking a whiskey.

Attjack I have a 3 liter aging barrel and I usually let mine age for about 8 weeks. The angel's share ends up being about 1/2 liter and I end up with just over 3 750 ml bottles of excellent whiskey. I buy the cheapest un-aged rye I can get .... Wasmund's or Prestige. I can generally get 1.75 L for $20. For an investment of $40 and 8 weeks of patience, I get 3 bottles that taste like they cost $50 each :-)

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here