Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Home aging whisk(e)y & other spirits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are the barrels new oak? I assume they're not charred or anything on the inside? How long did you let your batches age before enjoying? Thanks Huskee!

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      The two we got links to are charred (medium toast) by default.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      yeah these ones come with medium char, and I went 1 month & 2 months so far.

I like pouring a bottle of Wray and Nephew overproof white rum into a large mason jar with an oak stave and let it "age" for 2 months. Talk about a delicious faux "aged" rum for $20...

Comment

What'd you make your Logo's with?

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        I designed The A&M Lyons one with a scroll design, forget where I got it, and used Microsoft Word to add the fonts. Insert pic > insert text box, size to look right. Then I did a screen-cap of the finished design to make it a pic file. I am not a computer whiz, but I am a heck of a two-bit computer whiz. The other design was just their stock monogram offering which I wsan't too thrilled with.

When the keg is spent use it one last time for 'Mama Juana'.

A Dominican Dream: Mama Juana Mama Juana or “Mother Jane” refers to a type of squat bottle that this drink is traditionally stored in. The Mama Juana drink began as a tonic or herbs steeped in tea mixture that was seen as a cure-all. This tonic is thought to heal everything from the flu to digestion trouble, aid in circulation, cleanse the blood, assist in making you more sexually potent, healing the kidneys and liver, and helping you sleep better. […]

Comment

On its way - this will be cool... I'm actually thinking of filling it to the cork with Evan Williams 10 YO Single Barrel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Aging Barrel.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	595439

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Cool! Be sure to follow the seasoning instructions that come with it. You'll likely need to go 4 or 5 days with water in it before whiskey, to waterproof it. My recommendation is to make good pricey whiskey out of budget whiskey. I would resist the urge to put something you already love, that is pricier, in it. A cheapy that you like may be the safer option. But, that's of course up to you.

• JGo37
          JGo37 commented
          Editing a comment
          Huskee you think there's something cheaper than Evan Williams?

My dad used to fill his double-planked boat up with newspapers and run a garden hose in it for a couple days after winter to swell it up... when it stopped leaking from the inside out it was ready.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Well, the barrel will definitely improve Evan Williams single barrel

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here