Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Larceny Bourbon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    I didn't care for this one either ColonialDawg

• ColonialDawg
    replied
    I'm slowly working through a bottle of this and it's a great bourbon at a great price. My one bad experience was likely cork taint because I haven'f had that problem since. Smooth and tasty!

Leave a comment:

• Buck Flicks
    replied
    I read somewhere (can't remember where) that someone used this as one of their ingredients for a Poor Man's Pappy and said it turned out as good as the Weller 12YO and Old Weller Antique mix, and the price was far less. It was 1/3 Larceny and 2/3 Maker's Mark Cask Strength.

Leave a comment:

• Brewmaster
    replied
    Check out the Bourbon at Costco, it is another one to re-cask

Leave a comment:

• FrostyBrew
    replied
    Larceny is also a great "mixing" bourbon (especially at that price), and is my default for the house Manhattan. Nice sweetness, so add another dash or three of bitters.

Leave a comment:

• ColonialDawg
    replied
    OK, so I revisited this bourbon and my first bottle must have been a bad one. Dang cork taint. This is still a solid bourbon at a bargain price.

Leave a comment:

• ColonialDawg
    commented on 's reply
    It is a cork stopper, but nothing seemed off about it. I don’t know. I might revisit another bottle down the road.

• Buck Flicks
    commented on 's reply
    Maybe you have a musty cork? Is it a cork stopper?

• ColonialDawg
    commented on 's reply
    It’s crazy how bourbons can change when they sit on the shelf. Buffalo Trace is a bourbon that was just OK when I opened it. I just didn’t get the hype. After a few weeks sitting on my shelf, the flavor profile actually improved and it’s a bourbon I am starting to enjoy now.

• ColonialDawg
    commented on 's reply
    I actually have a bottle and, honestly, I don’t care for it. Henry McKenna 10 year BiB is one of my favorites and I can often get it for $30. I also like Evan Williams White label better. To each his own, I suppose. But I know that it does get good reviews and a lot of people like it.

• DogFaced PonySoldier
    commented on 's reply
    Right, once bottled, the aging stops. You'd have to re-barrel it. I looked into this last year, never actually bought a kit, though.

• Steve R.
    commented on 's reply
    The "month later" version was my experience when I first opened the bottle of Larceny. It was ok, but nothing to write home about.

• Paladin1954
    replied
    Originally posted by ColonialDawg View Post
    Folks, I am going to have to revise my recview on this bourbon. A month later and this bourbon is not as enjoyable as it was when I first opened it. Some bourbons just get better once they get a little air. This one surprisingly has been the opposite. I really liked it when I first opened the bottle. It’s hard to put a finger on it, but it now has a musty undertone that lingers on the palate. The sweetness has also diminished. I’m disappointed because I had high hopes for this one as it gets great reviews just about everywhere. Maybe I got a bad bottle?
    As for cost effective bourbon's try Evan Williams Single Barrel. This one, Click image for larger version

Name:	evan.png
Views:	227
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	603770

Total Wine shows it at $29. Not bad. Don't buy the cheaper one, it is on the bottom shelf for a reason.

Leave a comment:

• ColonialDawg
    replied
    Folks, I am going to have to revise my recview on this bourbon. A month later and this bourbon is not as enjoyable as it was when I first opened it. Some bourbons just get better once they get a little air. This one surprisingly has been the opposite. I really liked it when I first opened the bottle. It’s hard to put a finger on it, but it now has a musty undertone that lingers on the palate. The sweetness has also diminished. I’m disappointed because I had high hopes for this one as it gets great reviews just about everywhere. Maybe I got a bad bottle?

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    Pirate Scott Not referring to keeping in their bottles like you would wine, I'm referring to aging in a small oak barrel which you can buy online.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here