Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Larceny Bourbon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Larceny Bourbon

If you enjoy sweeter bourbons like I do and are looking for something new to try and not break the bank, this is a worthy bottle to put on your shelf. Larceny is a 92 proof small batch wheated bourbon produced by Heaven Hill Distillery. I think it’s aged around 6-7 years if I am not mistaken. While I realize everyone has a different palate when it comes to bourbon, Larceny beats a lot of bourbons that cost more and have bigger names. I have a feeling the price on this bourbon won’t stay around $25 for very long.

sold

Comment

I've had it and liked it.

https://distiller.com/spirits/larceny-bourbon
      • DISTILLER.com SCORE: 88
      • Average Rating: 3.4 out of 5 stars ( 1815 ratings )

Larceny is a brand extension of Heaven Hill's Old Fitzgerald line. According to their story, back in the day, John E. Fitzgerald used his privilege of holding the keys to Pappy Van Winkle's bonded warehouse, where the Old Fitzgerald bourbons were kept, to steal the best casks for himself, known as the "Fitzgerald Barrels." Larceny is a wheated blend of selected barrels made in honor of this legend.
      • AGE 6 YEARS
      • ABV 46

Click image for larger version  Name:	fvQGOdU.png Views:	1 Size:	48.5 KB ID:	589054

Comment

Funny, my cousin & bandmate just texted me the other day that he found a new bourbon he really liked and it was a pic of Larceny. It is on my to-try list for sure! Thank you for sharing your review.

Comment

I didn’t care for it that much. When I bought it the store owner compared it to Blantons. The price point is great though. Sometimes I think the batches are different.

Comment

Thanks, I'll have to give it a 'shot'. (am I the first? I'm the first, right?)

Comment

I came real close to buying a bottle earlier for my buddy. It's his birthday. In the end, I went with Woodford Reserve.

Distilled at its namesake Woodford Reserve Distillery located in Versailles, Ky. (formerly called Labrot & Graham Distillery), this Kentucky straight...

Comment

If you like Maker's Mark (I do) this is right up your alley, and a few bucks less.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate Scott View Post
                  When I bought it the store owner compared it to Blantons ... Sometimes I think the batches are different.
                  There’s a reason Blanton’s tastes different from bottle to bottle, it’s a single barrel bourbon so there is no mixing from various batches to maintain a consistent flavor profile like there is with bourbons that aren’t single barrel.

Comment

For those into home aging, this may be a good one to age since it's affordable. It does wonders to your bourbon (or gin, or rum, etc).

Comment

• Pirate Scott
                      Pirate Scott commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Huskee Interesting, Please enlighten me. Maybe I am not keeping my collection long enough?

• Huskee
                      Huskee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Pirate Scott Not referring to keeping in their bottles like you would wine, I'm referring to aging in a small oak barrel which you can buy online.

• DogFaced PonySoldier
                      DogFaced PonySoldier commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Right, once bottled, the aging stops. You'd have to re-barrel it. I looked into this last year, never actually bought a kit, though.

Folks, I am going to have to revise my recview on this bourbon. A month later and this bourbon is not as enjoyable as it was when I first opened it. Some bourbons just get better once they get a little air. This one surprisingly has been the opposite. I really liked it when I first opened the bottle. It’s hard to put a finger on it, but it now has a musty undertone that lingers on the palate. The sweetness has also diminished. I’m disappointed because I had high hopes for this one as it gets great reviews just about everywhere. Maybe I got a bad bottle?

Comment

• ColonialDawg
                      ColonialDawg commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It’s crazy how bourbons can change when they sit on the shelf. Buffalo Trace is a bourbon that was just OK when I opened it. I just didn’t get the hype. After a few weeks sitting on my shelf, the flavor profile actually improved and it’s a bourbon I am starting to enjoy now.

• Buck Flicks
                      Buck Flicks commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Maybe you have a musty cork? Is it a cork stopper?

• ColonialDawg
                      ColonialDawg commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It is a cork stopper, but nothing seemed off about it. I don’t know. I might revisit another bottle down the road.

Originally posted by ColonialDawg View Post
                    Folks, I am going to have to revise my recview on this bourbon. A month later and this bourbon is not as enjoyable as it was when I first opened it. Some bourbons just get better once they get a little air. This one surprisingly has been the opposite. I really liked it when I first opened the bottle. It’s hard to put a finger on it, but it now has a musty undertone that lingers on the palate. The sweetness has also diminished. I’m disappointed because I had high hopes for this one as it gets great reviews just about everywhere. Maybe I got a bad bottle?
                    As for cost effective bourbon's try Evan Williams Single Barrel. This one, Click image for larger version

Name:	evan.png
Views:	227
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	603770

Total Wine shows it at $29. Not bad. Don't buy the cheaper one, it is on the bottom shelf for a reason.

Comment

• ColonialDawg
                      ColonialDawg commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I actually have a bottle and, honestly, I don’t care for it. Henry McKenna 10 year BiB is one of my favorites and I can often get it for $30. I also like Evan Williams White label better. To each his own, I suppose. But I know that it does get good reviews and a lot of people like it.

• Huskee
                      Huskee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I didn't care for this one either ColonialDawg

OK, so I revisited this bourbon and my first bottle must have been a bad one. Dang cork taint. This is still a solid bourbon at a bargain price.

Comment

Larceny is also a great "mixing" bourbon (especially at that price), and is my default for the house Manhattan. Nice sweetness, so add another dash or three of bitters.

Comment

Check out the Bourbon at Costco, it is another one to re-cask

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here