Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bourbon infusions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bourbon infusions?

I’m looking at experimenting with some infused bourbons this fall - namely toasted Pecan and toasted Hazelnut and am looking for some advise on what bourbons folks would recommend for doing this. I’m thinking a cheaper bourbon would be better yet want something that mixes well in cocktails. I was thinking Four Roses Yellow label would be a good one but I’ve read that going with 90-100 proof is better for making infused bourbons.

Anyway, any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

I've only done one infused bourbon, a bacon fat washed bourbon and used Four Roses Yellow. I have also made peanut infused rye using Rittenhouse. I chose both those bottles because I use them on their own to make cocktails and both are relatively inexpensive.

Comment

I feel like Huskee has been dabbling in the this.......

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry I can't help, never dabbled in this part of whisk(e)y enjoyment....yet....

I can offer a few points from my experiences
      1. Do not use the cheapest bourbon, I use Buffalo Trace. If you would not drink it out of the bottle infusing will not make it better only more tolerable. I do not think anyone here would recommend using a lesser grade meat to try a new rub.
      2. Scaling is important. Do not start with a full bottle you do not want to waste it on a bad batch.
      3. Taste test regularly, infusing too long does not equal better.
      4. The goal should be for infused liquor that you can drink neat or on the rocks otherwise it is effort and time for something that you are covering up with other mixers anyway.
      5. My most successful fall infusion combinations were apple/cinnamon and vanilla/fig.
      6. I infused liquors for some time and have changed to making bitters instead. They are easier, more fun and can be used in combinations with all liquors and food. It also prevents wasting any large portions of bourbon.

Comment

A couple of years ago I infused some whiskey and tequila. I saw it on a website. I don’t know anything about either but I thought it would make some unique Christmas gifts. I used a device that made whipped cream using co2 cartridges. You put the spice in the canister pressurize it then mix it in the bottle. Made a jalapeño tequila and a spice bourbon. People loved it and ask for more but I can’t find recipe or website. I think I used jack danials.
        I put it in small pint bottles made a Christmas label and gave them away. It was fun and everyone enjoyed it.

Comment

Hmmm ... never tried it (yet) myself. Here's a link to some helpful-looking pointers from the Whisky Advocate site that might be of use one of these days:

Use this easy method to create custom flavors for your cocktails.

Comment

I have used smoked jalapeno and Svedka vodka, makes a great bloody

Comment

No hesitation here - BOOKER'S! You can try out a trial infusion on Evan Williams (I haven't) if you're wondering about slightly higher proof and low cost. Booker's doesn't stand up neat to Blanton's, so I wouldn't 'change' Blanton's. Booker's is cask strength and begging to be infused.

I've infused Booker's a couple times, drank 2/3's shared on ice with friends, and infused cigars with the balance. The LATTER, my friend, is heaven. If there ain't no flames in heaven, then I'll grab my cigars and head south...

Comment

This is all unexplored territory, to me....interestin as it is...

Up til now, I've apparently been doin it all wrong, an jus infusin my dang self with th Bourbon

I do, however, jus happen to have a fifth of Smoked Buffalo Trace what I ain't yet broke th seal on...yet...

This is only due to th extreme kindness an generosity of a good friend / brother, who obviously possesses a keen eye as to giftin!!!

Comment

• JGo37
                  JGo37 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Time to get ready for the cooler weather, sip some up, and readjust the blood level in your alcohol system for the nightly chill.

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ya have th Right of it, amigo!

I have always advocated, vociferously, on th need to keep my Alcohol System relatively blood-free...

One, traditionally, ensures that their vehicles have an adequate antifreeze protection level, as Winter looms large upon us...
                  Why, pray tell, would one ever not ensure th same thing about one's own coolant system???

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Update: As of last night, I tried th Smoked Buffalo Trace!!!!
                  It was Most Excellent, an Intriguin...
                  Been swishin another taste tes round my mouth, fer like 15 minutes, this evenin...
                  Purty Cool Stuff, a nuance, but one I likeys Very Much...
                  I Must Learn how to do this!!!!

OK, so I’m trying a hazelnut infused bourbon because I want to make a Log Cabin, a fall cocktail developed by Tom Macy:

So, I decided to use a 375 ml of Elijah Craig Small Batch. It’s pretty inexpensive and a good sipper on its own. It’s also 94-proof. I toasted about a cup and a half of raw hazelnuts in the oven, then added them and the bourbon to a mason jar. Quick taste this morning and I think this is going to be really nice. I’ll filter it tonight or tomorrow depending on taste. I might try it in some eggnog later this year too.

Comment

First, I agree that you need to use a bourbon that you would drink rather than grabbing a cheaper one. I've used Buffalo Trace for the following recipe every time because it's pretty good and its not expensive. I've tinkered with the recipe several times and this is the base one that I've come up with. I've only done it sous vide, so I'm not sure how well it would work if it was just allowed to infuse over time. Full disclosure, I found this recipe almost 2 years ago on a website that has disappeared since I saw it last.

Just a tip before you start, fill however many quart jars you want to use with enough water to weigh it down into the container you plan to use to sous vide in. Place the water filled jars into the container, and fill with hot water until it gets to about1 inch above the closed jar lid. This will save you from guessing on how much water you will need later on. Now yo can heat the water to 140 degrees while you fill the jars.

Sous Vide Old Fashioned - [750 Ml bottle of BT usually takes 2 quart jars]

- 1 Quart Mason Jar
                  - (1) Large Orange Organic Orange Peel (Washed and make sure you scrape off the white pith from the inside of the peel, it can be bitter)
                  - (10) Maraschino cherries (They're available year round) Don't pour any syrup in the jar
                  - (2) TBSP fine white sugar

After the orange peel, cherries and sugar are in the jar, fill it up to the top just below the glass rim for the lid. Leave a little space in there. Close the lid until its "finger tight" meaning you can unscrew them with only your finger tips. They don't have to be cranked on there. Place the jars in the preheated water bath for 2 hours, then remove them onto the counter, and crack the lids to allow them to cool a little. I usually wait an hour.

This is the most tedious part, because you'll need a mesh strainer and a container to pour the bourbon into. I usually use a large plastic pitcher to make it easier to pour out again. Then remove the orange peels and pour the bourbon through the strainer into the pitcher, removing the cherries. The infused bourbon will need to be strained at least two more times, and I've found that a cheese cloth or coffee filters work the best. I usually use a coffee filter and place it over the mesh strainer. I then place the strainer back on top of the jar (which I rinse out), and slowly pour the bourbon into the filter/strainer, to go back into the jar. You will need to replace the coffee filter a few times per jar depending on how much orange and cherry remnants need to be filtered out. I usually save the Buffalo Trace bottle and use a funnel to pour the infused bourbon right back in. This can be stored on your bar, or in the freezer if ya want to keep it cold.

Before anyone asks, I usually add a few splashes of bitters to my glass with ice before I pour the infused bourbon in for a nice drink. I have tried to use bitters during the infusion, and couldn't really tell if it altered the taste. It's easier and you'll use less bitters if you add them when you're gonna pour a drink.

The old fashioned infused bourbon has a forward orange taste, with a hint of cherries and the sweetness you'd expect in your ordinary old fashioned. Warning to the wise: these can go down very easily if you're not careful. I've also found that non-bourbon drinkers are more open to trying these rather than one thats made the "old fashioned" way. (Sorry) Also dangerous because they may want more of your hard earned hooch.

Enjoy and let me know if you try it. I'm always looking for ways to improve on this.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here