Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Great Bourbon Taste Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Great Bourbon Taste Test

During the 4th of July holiday my family gathered in Nashville for Family Reunion 2017. As always, a significant amount of drinking was enjoyed by all. Following the Reunion, 5 of us headed north to explore the Kentucky Bourbon Trail. We had a wonderful time, saw some pretty landscapes and tasted some really great bourbons. I was on a mission to find the perfect sipping bourbon. We visited as many distilleries and tasting rooms as we could. Each one provided something unique both in their story and their product. I found it relatively easy to determine my favorite bourbon at Buffalo Trace, and at Bulleit, and at Makers Mark and all the others. The problem was I still didn’t know which was the overall best. This would require a head-to-head taste off.

This past weekend my wife and I were at our daughters place in Arlington, VA for a visit. This seemed like the perfect time and place for a Best of the Best Blind Taste Test. So we went about setting the stage.

The test consisted of the following bourbons:
    • Jim Beam Black Extra Aged
    • Eagle Rare
    • Bulleit Barrel Strength
    • Basil Hayden’s
    • Buffalo Trace
    • Makers 46
    • Jack Daniel’s Single Barrel Select (Technically not a bourbon but included anyway)
    My wife was the one who kept it a true blind taste test. Each of the 4 judges was given a tray with 7 shot glasses randomly filled with each of the 7 bourbons. We then tasted each and made our notes. We were allowed to return for additional tastes if we needed additional comparison. We then rated the bourbons from best to worst, tallied the scores and only then did we find out which was which. The results were quite surprising to me. Here is the overall order that the 4 of us placed them in.

1st – Jim Beam Black Extra Aged
    2nd – Bulleit Barrel Strength
    3rd – Eagle Rare
    4th – Basil Hayden’s
    5th – Makers 46
    6th – Buffalo Trace
    7th – Jack Daniel’s Single Barrel Select

Part of what makes these results so interesting is that with the prices of these bourbons ranging from $16 to $60 per bottle, the Jim Beam is the most affordable.
    Now obviously this was just one blind taste test by 4 people and can’t be taken as the definitive result. Much more intense research and comparison will have to be made and I know just the family who is ready for additional taste testing.

can i help?

Comment

Evan Williams Double Aged

Comment

• SoCal Chris
        SoCal Chris commented
        Editing a comment
        Evan Williams Double Aged was very good as well. We went to the Evan Williams stillhouse in downtown Louisville. There was no particular reason that we didn't include it in the taste testing other than we had to cut it off at some point. As I said, more research is obviously needed.

In the name of science, I will conduct some research later this evening.

Comment

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        I concur with the praise for Beam Black Extra Aged. That stuff is a steal for the quality you get. Sipping on some right now. Only thing missing is Mila Kunis to share it with me. 😁

I am talking to Mr. Blanton and his cousin Woodford... they are skeptical of this biased poll. Blanton claims he he won the electoral college.... Carry on

Comment

• SoCal Chris
        SoCal Chris commented
        Editing a comment
        The cousins may have a valid argument. My brother refuses to accept the results. I believe he started chanting "NOT MY BOURBON." At that point, I through him out of the house and drank the rest of his.

• FlaBouy
        FlaBouy commented
        Editing a comment
        As a Marine combat veteran I would advise against causing me to don my battle rattle by trying to outflank my perimeter and removing me from the compound. There are things worth fighting for on this planet.. God. Country. The love of a good woman. And a damn smooth Kentucky sippin whiskey. Carry on.

• JCBBQ
        JCBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Love LOVE Blanton's. Woodford ain't to shabby neither...

This is awesome! Part of me thinks you conducted this blind taste test just for me. I love this sort of thing. My wife and I taste-tested a few Bourbons a year or so ago and she was surprised to pick her beloved Maker's Mark last. We're huge fans of Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare, and anything made by Buffalo Trace really including Blanton's, they know how to distill their bourbons! What is interesting is to see the high placement of the Jim Beam extra aged.

Comment

• SoCal Chris
        SoCal Chris commented
        Editing a comment
        I really like Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare and was surprised that side-by-side I preferred the Jim Beam. Then again, Jim Beam Black Extra Aged just won World Bourbon of 2016 according to the IWSC and Mila Kunis. Then again, maybe it was just that day. I better test them again.

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        SoCal Chris you'd definitely better, pronto 😁😁

What, Wild Turkey not top self enough to make the cut? More for me I guess.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Ever try WT Forgiven?

• lostclusters
        lostclusters commented
        Editing a comment
        Never heard of it

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        I picked some up the other day. Yesterday actually. The jury's still out....but I'm not leaning toward it being my new favorite. I don't hate it, but I haven't fallen in love. Mix of rye & bourbon.

Did you try any Knob Creek or Angel's Envy? Those are both pretty dang good in my book.

Comment

• SoCal Chris
        SoCal Chris commented
        Editing a comment
        Didn't add those to the test this time but would definitely like to see how they compare. Work, work, work. So much scientific testing to do.

I for one am willing to do whatever it takes to get to the bottom of this problem!

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        That's the spirit!

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Ha ha, good one EdF!

Question that I've pondered myself- How many blind samples is too many to try? The funny side of me says NONE! haha. But seriously, how many samples could a person taste test before your tongue gets fatigued and your senses dulled?

I did a Scotch test a month ago with 7 samples and that was pretty tough. Water in between obviously, but even then it seemed a bit much. Considering you'll probably taste each sample 2-3x to be fair. The more you go the more they all taste alike. I think maybe 4 or 5 samples would be a good limit.

Thoughts?

Comment

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        Try a single plain unsalted saltine cracker with water. IMO it is the best to cleanse the palate at a testing

• kmhfive
        kmhfive commented
        Editing a comment
        My gut feel is 10. If you're truly just "tasting". No more than a shot of each. It also helps if you have a good guide to take you from 1-to-10 in an order that won't destroy your taste buds!

• kmhfive
        kmhfive commented
        Editing a comment
        I've got a local cigar shop that hosts a "spirit school" about 4-times a year. The "teacher" is the distributor of course. But she brings a wealth of knowledge and 10 good distillates to try. The really nice thing is we get to smoke our favorite cigars during the tastings!

Great info, surprised JD finished last, not familiar with the rest. Guess I will need to expand my list.

Comment

I usually stick to one taste per night. Few samples, no water in between. Then I move on to the next. Honestly, I've not come up with a conclusive winner. It changes night by night. But I've thoroughly enjoyed the process.

Comment

I did something similar and came out with JD single barrel as my tried and true favorite (I DO drink about half a bottle a night lol) then blantons, then buffalo, then basil, and then the rest. Geroge dickel scored low to me which I found odd as I prefer Tennessee whisky(Lincoln county process). Drinking some JD SB right now.

Comment

Gonna have to say the Jim Beam Black Extra Aged is getting to be my favorite in that price range*. Based on extensive research over the past week or so, I'm a fan.

*I may or may not be biased, based on the proximity of the Jim Beam distillery to my house.
            Last edited by Steve R.; August 18, 2017, 11:25 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here