Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Father's Day - Mini Cask

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've done the home brew beer thing for a few years and have always wanted to give distilled spirits (bourbon and scotch) a try. Problem is there are no un-aged spirits to be found around here except for moonshine (the legal variety). Sure aging corn whiskey in an oak barrel would be a hoot - or would that be a hoot! Hoot!.. but not bourbon or scotch for sure. So with a little research I found two sources for table top stills and grain blends for bourbon to make my own un-aged bourbon (as my wife rolls her eyes). Yep - guilty. Multiple hobby syndrome.

Comment

What an excellent gift!! That is a very cool wife you have there. Looking forward to how this progresses.

Comment

TheCountofQ she pays attention to things that are important to me ... this is a good thing ... and something we can all learn from.

Comment

So, did a little taste test at the end of the first week in the cask .... this is definitely aging. It's no longer a clear, unaged rye ..... the highland notes from the "Scotch essence" are there, as well as the beginning of some oaky flavors. It needs a lot more time in the cask, for sure. Still not something I want to drink, but I can see, and taste, the changes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1667.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	338693Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1666.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	338694

Comment

Okay .... it's been 11 weeks that my little experiment has been going on. I bottled the whiskey on Friday night. I thought I would share the outcome with everyone.

So ... the liquor is now a beautiful caramel color .... like a good whiskey should be. The 3 liter barrel resulted in about 2.5 liters of whiskey after the Angel's share. I would say that we are at a real cask strength of about 120 proof. The first taste is strong ... but has a decidedly sweet, vanilla taste at the front as it hits my tongue. As it finishes, there's a lot of spice ... peppery even .... I can smell the oak for sure ... maybe that is because I'm a BBQ guy because no one else who tasted it tonight detected oak

After the first full strength taste, we all added a bit of water .... the front end of the whiskey is complex, notes of vanilla, smoke, sugar, molasses ... as it finishes, we are all getting oak, pepper, vanilla, a lot of heat, and a very smooth bit of hay.

All three of us that tried this as I bottled it said we would be happy to pay $50 a bottle for this whiskey ... amazing, considering that I paid $10 for 1.75 liters of the rotgut that I started with.

Click image for larger version

Name:	A619A4C0-4D3C-4BC8-9B64-C6851088CCCF.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	184.0 KB
ID:	374334Click image for larger version

Name:	8AB4A1E4-AF54-49EF-9772-284FEB588C8A.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	165.8 KB
ID:	374335Click image for larger version

Name:	627E0D2D-D9F1-4DB4-8867-A3ECFB41A61D.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	184.7 KB
ID:	374333Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0178.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	374332

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              So glad to hear how this worked out!
              Reckon I'll haveta try it, my dang self....
              Thanks fer sharin'!

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              Mr. Bones that whiskey got along really well with a cigar last night after the crowd left and the dishes were cleaned up.

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              You're making a pretty convincing argument here!

Awesome! Lots of fun.

Comment

That is soooooo coooool!

I can't believe I've never heard of doing this. But I am definitely going to get with the program! My only problem is going to be finding the unaged whisky myself (yes, whisky, not whiskey ).

Comment

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                Heh, you can spell it either way ... but which way you spell whiskey/whisky tells us if your booze loving descends from the Scots, the Irish, or the Americans. :-)

That sounds great! I have a 2liter barrel and now I need to find unaged liquor to give that a try. I am currently at week 2 with a manhattan mix in mine. I used ~2/3 old grandad bonded, ~1/3 sweet vermouth, 30 dashes angostura bitters, and 30 dashes peychaud bitters. I've also considered aging light rum or silver tequila.

Comment

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm thinking I want to get a small barrel for gaining Manhattans or Old Fashioneds.

I'm assuming you can re-use the barrel. Have you started another batch?

Comment

Can you leave it, serve it from the barrel? Or would the Barrel start leaking due to lost moisture?

Comment

TheCountofQ you can use the barrel 3 times, give or take, before it ends up neutral. I'm running down to the store in a little bit to pick up some cheap bourbon and start the next batch.

Pirate Scott you could leave it in the barrel, I imagine. I wouldn't, though, because it will continue to age. Also, I filtered mine through cheese cloth as I bottled it. And discovered small piece of wood in the whiskey.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here