Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite bourbon, favorite Scotch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favorite bourbon, favorite Scotch?

I'm a big Maker's Mark fan, and more so the Maker's Mark 46 <--- favorite.
    For scotch, Glenfiddich 15 year, and if someone else is buying, Johnny walker Blue label.
    Last edited by Huskee; July 12, 2014, 10:54 PM.

At $300 a bottle, I'm too cheap to buy it, but Macallan 21 year old is the best Scotch I've tasted....so far.

Comment

• Bill P
      Bill P commented
      Editing a comment
      Got to try a 25 yr Macallan years ago and actually preferred the 18 yr.

• tlawren3
      tlawren3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Macallan is definitely my favorite. Balvany is second-place in my list.

At around $100 a bottle you can find Glen Morangie 18 year, and let me tell you it is one sublime scotch experience. With just a sip on your tongue you can smell the barrel - nice woody smoky aroma, and afterwards a subtle burn from the alcohol mixed with that lasting smoke aroma. It's worth it once in a while.

Comment

• my_first_username
      my_first_username commented
      Editing a comment
      Received this as a gift from my in-laws. Definitely one of my favorites!

Originally posted by Aaron 'Huskee' Lyons View Post
    I'm a big Maker's mark fan, and more so the Maker's Mark 46 <--- favorite.
    For scotch, Glenfiddich 15 year, and if someone else is buying, Johnny walker Blue label.

Ditto what Huskee said. I also like Wild Turkey American Honey. That stuff will sneak up on you. Just wait and see how bad my typing gets later! lol

Comment

Originally posted by Pit Boss View Post

That stuff will sneak up on you. Just wait and see how bad my typing gets later! lol

There's an olllllllllllld classic country song, well it's more of a comedy talking-song (like many old time classic country songs were back in the day) from I'd say the 50s-ish...where the singer/comedian talks about finding a stash in a basement and he poured out each bottle except "oooone teeny swaller, which I drank". As the song/routine progresses, his words get mixed up ore & more, it's a riot. Reminded of that when I read your post. Just waiting for your typing to get mangled.

Comment

Alright, I've had that glass of American Honey I'd mentioned earlier and juss read Huskee's last post (howz my typing so far?). It reminded me of a day 15 years ago when a very good friend of mine married her true love. It was a grand wedding with a beautiful ballroom setting for the reception and much dancing. Her father, who coincidentally was also a David, danced with her as they played this song, which he had selected. It's a folk song from what many today would consider long ago, but really was less than a moment. It's worth a listen. Careful though, I just played it aloud for my better half and now she's crying, so it might not be safe for those easily moved to emotion. I'm guessing you BBQ toughies can handle it just fine though.

Comment

• Willy
        Willy commented
        Editing a comment
        The next song up on the youtube channel included the Weavers giving a nice tribute to Huddie Ledbetter, aka Lead Belly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSDyiUBrUSk

• Willy
        Willy commented
        Editing a comment
        And one more song from the youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ld6fAO4idaI

I'll stop now--I know I'm going off topic.

• David Parrish
        David Parrish commented
        Editing a comment
        All classics. Really love that song I posted couple years ago. Very thought provoking that at my life stage I'm much farther down the path narrated in the song than I was when I first heard it.

knob creek is doing some great stuff with bourbons and whiskeys
      Glenmorangie and Lagavullin are great scotches.
      I am partial to centennial 15-25 year reserve rye whiskey.

Comment

Pappy Van Winkles Family Reserve 20 Year Old is very good and one of the best Whiskeys I have ever tasted.

Comment

• Grover5
          Grover5 commented
          Editing a comment
          Have to agree as well. Bought a bottle a few years back, got down to the last third and started to look for the replacement. Quickly realized I could no longer afford it. But definitely worth trying.

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          The next time I find a bottle of Pappy within 500 miles of me will be the first. I have had exactly one drink (read measured shot) of Pappy 20 in my life. It was in a fancy restaurant in the Napa Valley and it cost me $60. . . but worth every penny.

• Northside Brian
          Northside Brian commented
          Editing a comment
          I have had Pappy before and while it is good, it is way overpriced and overhyped. I will pay $80 for a measure of Louis XIII though.

WL Weller, Knob Creek and Makers 46 for Bourbon
        The Balvenie and The Dalmore for Scotch.
        Hochstadter's Slow and Low Rock & Rye for Rye Whiskey
        Last edited by David S; July 12, 2014, 11:59 PM.

Comment

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          The William Larue Weller is another impossible to find bottle, at least hear in the Northeast.

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
        WL Weller, Knob Creek and Makers 46 for Bourbon
        The Balvenie and The Dalmore for Scotch.
        Hochstadter's Slow and Low Rock & Rye for Rye Whiskey
        Heard good things about Knob Creek. I might have to try it next.

Comment

I also like Knob Creek. I fly Delta a lot and they have Woodford's Reserve which is nice. Bulleit is also good. I also don't mind JD. Don't really like Scotch.

Comment

Originally posted by mgaretz View Post
            I also like Knob Creek. I fly Delta a lot and they have Woodford's Reserve which is nice. Bulleit is also good. I also don't mind JD. Don't really like Scotch.
            I'm not really a scotch guy either. That's why I like The Balvenie and The Dalmore. Very little peat taste. They lean toward a nice bourbon.

Comment

I like all the choices...my favorite scotches are definitely the peatey smoke masters though. I love a Lagavulin or Laphroaigh, especially if I'm out smoking meat on a cold day. Whistlepig is an American/Canadian Rye that is super delicious, as is Bulleit, along with some of the other's y'all've named. My go-to for a inexpensive mixer bourbon to make up my old fashioned's and Julip's is good old Dickel's.

Comment

• Flavorsavor
                Flavorsavor commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks man! Arbeg or Ardbeg? Ardbeg is absolutely delicious, but i've never heard of the alligator. I got some Balvenie portwood 21 for my bachelor party this weekend, and though it's ssuuuuper smooth, I'd still take a Lagavulin over it in a heartbeat.

• Flyway BBQ
                Flyway BBQ commented
                Editing a comment
                Ardbeg is correct. I must have mis-typed it before and the auto check changed it back to the incorrect spelling. Lagavulin is really hard to beat, but Alligator is in a special league. Liquid smoke. I've only had 1 bottle. I tried to make it last, but it kept drawing me in to its spell.

Lagavulin vs. Balvnie 21, I'm with you. McCallan 25 is a great pour too, like velvet. But I like my velvet smokey, so I'll stick with Lagavulin. I've noticed the price has climbed recently. In my area, it's now about $90. That's steep for a nightly pour.

I hope your bachelor weekend was a blast! Congrats.

• Flavorsavor
                Flavorsavor commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks again. Yeah the bachelor weekend was a lot of fun. I decided to try the 21 because it was a special occasion, but as in all things, the heart wants what it wants. I'm looking forward to settling into a long relationship with peaty, smokey scotches now I've had one last blow-out with a pricey temptress. 90 bucks isn't bad for the lagavulin , it was 99 here in NC. Def swinging away from the evening swig. I guess I'll have to back up to laphroaigh or Ardbeg. I've noticed advertisements from a website called Flaviar that advertises some whiskies for a few bucks cheaper, after shipping. May be worth checking out.

I used to be a scotch drinker. I lived in the UK for a year and got real spoiled on $12 (yep, twelve bucks) bottles of Oban. Still my favorite even though it's around $80 a bottle in the US and I don't really drink scotch anymore.

I do drink bourbon now, and my "everyday" (not really everyday) choice is Evan Williams Black. For more special occasion imbibing, I step it up to Buffalo Trace, Knob Creek or Woodford Reserve. Someday I will buy some of the more expensive stuff, but at this point I can't justify spending upwards of $40/$50 for a bottle of the premium juice. I do travel a lot, but most of the places I go will have Knob Creek or Woodford Reserve as the top notch stuff I spend my expense account on.

Comment

I really like single malt scotch but it can get real expensive quick if one doesn't watch it. My preference is Glenlivet because I don't care for a big bite at the finish like Glenfiddich. Blended's I don't care for but there are some great bourbons out there most of them I can't remember their names. I mostly drink the wines I make nowadays as I came down with gout several years back but have learned to manage it holistically which means I must ration the hard liquors most of the time.

Comment

• Willy
                  Willy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I must thank you for your mustard recipe. It's now our household staple mustard. I do 50/50-ish brown and yellow seed.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here