Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moonshine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

21 yrs. old and bulletproof compared to 51 yrs. old and MUCH wiser.

Comment

Only tasted the not so legal stuff. The only tasting notes I had where something along the lines of tasting better turpentine. Terrible stuff. Maybe a couple months in my mini bourbon barrel would smooth it out.

Comment

Yes, I've had real 'shine. If done right it beats anything. Done wrong and it burns like the dickens.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          True dat!

Where I come from, moonshine is what ya do when yer not smokin'...
        Same guy usedta build alla th' hot rod motors fer th' shine runners, an' th' local cops. Who wants to go fa$test?
        Cash crop, there, in Mizzurruhh...
        Hypothetically, mighta had a sip (or two)

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          They jus' popped out here Spinaker. Mebbe I'll cold smoke some..???

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Damn , Man! We are still probably three weeks out. And we need some rain! Been dry around here. Soil temp is still in the 40's.

• AdamJG
          AdamJG commented
          Editing a comment
          Spinaker Same here in the northern reaches of NY State. Finally some warm weather on the way, as soon as the streams go down after the snow melt and rain I'll be making time for mushroom hunting and native trout fishing!

Have had some. I was a HUGE Popcorn fan. I know most here have heard or watched his old stuff, but if not, and new to the world of shine. He was the greatest.

Comment

I'm an avid Homebrewer. I also make Wine and Mead....Anyway, I have tried a number of Spirits that may not have been taxed properly. (My speculation) And some were GREAT and some were crap! It's all about the skill of the Distiller. It is absolutely possible to make world class Spirits at home. It just ain't legal...

Comment

• PJBowmaster
            PJBowmaster commented
            Editing a comment
            I prefer 90 proof to the high octane stuff. And I want it aged on wood. Either in a barrel or chipped. I know a guy that knows a guy that makes a spirit that tastes like good Kentucky Bourbon. It's all about the craft....

• lonnie mac
            lonnie mac commented
            Editing a comment
            I know a guy too! And it's a story I can never tell I am afraid. I have the "original" Brutus Ten brewery sitting in my garage, and have thought how easy it would be to do a bit of plumbing...

• kmhfive
            kmhfive commented
            Editing a comment
            I love my homebrew. Never had the urge to distill anything. Can get enough good stuff legally for my needs. Not to say the apple pie wasn't delicious!

My father is now retired but was a commercial electricIan and ran a job down in Virginia for awhile (I'm in upstate NY). He brought home a jar of shine that a guy he worked with had made. I love whiskey of many varieties, but that stuff was some of the most vile tasting liquid I ever had the misfortune of drinking. I most certainly could have ran my truck on it and it burned your eyes when you held the jar to your face to smell it. It most definitely isn't something you'd sip for enjoyment, but might drink if on an extreme budget...but in that case you probably wouldn't be in the pit as we all have a pricey hobby here. Hopefully your experience is better, it's cool to have a jar of moonshine for the novelty and maybe for lighting charcoal, but that's about the only use I have for it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here