Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moonshine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting easy, a little apple pie. Cheers!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      How was dat, Huskee?

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Mr. Bones Ole Smokey is REALLY good! Sweet and very pie-like. Sneaks up on you like it's supposed to. "Midnight Moon" which has a very similar looking label is stronger, alcoholier, not as good, purely IMO of course. I've only had those 2 apple pies though.

I tried making a still once but had some issues with the flow. The main thing with shine is be sure whoever is making it knows what they are doing. When yeast breaks down sugars it makes more than just C02 and ethanol. Also make methanol which concentrated will make you go blind. So if you make it make sure the methanol is all stilled first and toss it or make a cleaner out of it. Methanol will come over first because it has a lower boiling point. So never made any myself as my still was not working. It is ILLEGAL in Texas, nobody care if you did not make a big mess or try to sell it. I have had some from a friend of a friend and it was very good....didn't know the proof and did not go blind so win win.

Comment

Hypothetically, if I tasted it it would have come from the Daniel Boon National Forest in Kentucky. And if, hypothetically, I had tasted it, it is likely that I would maintain some in the liquor cabinet at home.
      That said the commercial stuff here in NC is really good. Our favorite, however, is the moonshine covered cherries - A quart mason jar filled with cherries and then filled with shine. Add one or two of those to your daiquiri or mojito and you have a really nice treat at the bottom of the glass.

Comment

I looked into doing this when I was into home brewing and this place sells stills and has a quick info. guide on the legalities.

http://www.clawhammersupply.com/blog...oonshine-legal

Basically, it's legal to own distilling equipment in the US but illegal to produce alcohol for consumption unless you have a Federal Distilled Spirits Permit. You can obtain Federal Fuel Alcohol Permit, which allows you to buy and own the equipment to make your own fuel (or distill oils, water, etc.) but it's still illegal to make moonshine even for your own personal use unless you have the FDSP. That said, the website above states that most people who do make their own are accepting the risk that the federal government is never going to come after them for brewing a gallon of shine for personal use (but they could). Apparently the distilled spirits permit isn't something the average home brewer would be able to obtain unless you were straight up looking to launch your own whisky business, which leaves most of us with the fuel alcohol permit. I never bought the equipment or obtained the fuel permit, but there are lots of Youtube videos of guys who have if you are interested.
        Last edited by Beefchop; June 27, 2016, 03:19 AM.

Comment

i had enjoyed some "home made" apple pie (nothing purchased) in liquid form a while back.
          shot #1: holy fires of hell, batman!
          shot #2: a warm glow all through the body
          shot #3: Smiles, everyone! Smiles!
          shot #4: keys officially turned over to the significant other. and who moved that wall?

Comment

• Beefchop
            Beefchop commented
            Editing a comment
            That's about right!

• Danjohnston949
            Danjohnston949 commented
            Editing a comment
            CurlingDog, That is Just Short of Bullet Proof and Invisible? From Fargo ND, Dan

• CurlingDog
            CurlingDog commented
            Editing a comment
            Danjohnston949 all that and more! only the good tequilla that you can't get in the states could hold a candle to that stuff!

Well the Tim Smith Climax Moonshine came in the mail Thursday, and Mr FedEx, who's younger than me and knows me from previous wine deliveries, still asked for my ID...

I like it! It's not like 'stronger vodka' like I pictured, and definitely not like rubbing alcohol like I've read in some reviews. It has a strong corn-ish, caramel-ish taste to it, very unique. Sweet and a kind of thick mouthfeel. Less burn that bourbon, but it's there. Can't say I've ever tasted anything like it.

Comment

Bought this Midnight Moon in Bristol Tennessee in 2007 and had Junior Johnson sign it at Bristol Motor Speedway. It was introduced from Piedmont Distillers In celebration of Junior Johnson’s induction into the NASCAR Hall of Fame. I never opened it so I couldn't tell ya what it taste like.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3045.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	188753
            Last edited by Powersmoke_80; July 1, 2016, 07:48 PM.

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Cool! I've seen that at my local store. I thought it might be a ripoff of Ole Smoky since that was avail first (here anyway)...but maybe it's vice versa. One of these days I'll try it and let you know.

• Powersmoke_80
              Powersmoke_80 commented
              Editing a comment
              @ Huskee Actually it was 2007 when I got this before there were other flavors. I seen he was back there in 2010

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Update- I tried Midnight Moon Apple Pie and didn't like it as much as Ole Smokey. It tasted more like ever clear with a little apple cider & cinnamon, whereas the Ole Smokey tasted like apple cider & cinnamon a with a little ever clear.

I've tried peach and apple at a picnic (one of the guests brews his own). They were tasty but I could feel the burn. Tried a really good legal "shine" (how can 'shine be legal???) didn't have as much of a burn.

Comment

• Breadhead
              Breadhead commented
              Editing a comment
              If it's legal... It is faux Shine. It's not something you advertise you even sampled.😎

I really like the apple pie and the watermelon moonshine

Comment

The only reason shine is illegal is the gov wants it's tax money....greedy bastards.

Comment

• Breadhead
                Breadhead commented
                Editing a comment
                They tax ANYTHING that exists. If it's considered bad for you they don't ban it they just Jack the taxes up.👍 Marijuana used to flooded our prison system. Now the States are loving it because it produces lots of tax money for them to waste. Plus they don't have to spend as much for prisons.
                Last edited by Breadhead; August 3, 2016, 02:37 PM.

Originally posted by Beefchop View Post
              I looked into doing this when I was into home brewing and this place sells stills and has a quick info. guide on the legalities.

http://www.clawhammersupply.com/blog...oonshine-legal

Basically, it's legal to own distilling equipment in the US but illegal to produce alcohol for consumption unless you have a Federal Distilled Spirits Permit. You can obtain Federal Fuel Alcohol Permit, which allows you to buy and own the equipment to make your own fuel (or distill oils, water, etc.) but it's still illegal to make moonshine even for your own personal use unless you have the FDSP. That said, the website above states that most people who do make their own are accepting the risk that the federal government is never going to come after them for brewing a gallon of shine for personal use (but they could). Apparently the distilled spirits permit isn't something the average home brewer would be able to obtain unless you were straight up looking to launch your own whisky business, which leaves most of us with the fuel alcohol permit. I never bought the equipment or obtained the fuel permit, but there are lots of Youtube videos of guys who have if you are interested.
              I emailed the liquor control board of MI, asking if any equipment or any amount of home distilling is legal in MI or elsewhere. Their response was along the lines of 'Federal Law prohibits anyone from owning liquor distilling equipment or operating said equipment for personal use.' This indicates to me it's not legal in TX or anywhere, unless a local govt can supersede federal law, of which I'm not sure.

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Beefchop "liquor distilling equipment". It's all in the wording.

• BriggsBBQ
                BriggsBBQ commented
                Editing a comment
                Beefchop notice that if you buy from one of those retailers that they do put on you a list with the government. When I get a distilling setup I am going homemade. Probably convert a stainless keg.

• Beefchop
                Beefchop commented
                Editing a comment
                LOL. You can get a permit without much trouble from the feds to produce fuel (ethanol). Just store your "fuel" next to your 5.56 ammo and the revenue officers will just think you're a crazy prepper!

I've tasted it, first sip tasted like lighter fluid, second sip tasted like the best whiskey ever... I don't remember much after that though... I was in Florida and I think I may have gotten thrown out of Disney World...

Comment

Had the real deal about 30years ago from a buddy who had just returned from the Ozarks. Tasted like jet fuel. After a half mason jar a guy suckerpunched me didn't end well for him. But damn it WAS good!!!!! Never drank it since for good reason.

Comment

My description of Tim Smith's Climax Moonshine (his dad's recipe, and the same he brewed on the show [supposedly] )

Mouthfeel: it's thick & sweet with a burn you'd expect but it doesn't overpower IMO. Not at all how I pictured it.
                  Flavor: kettle corn in a bottle. Yum!

Comment

Huskee you have had the pleasure of trying the commercial stuff. Sounds good but I was less fortunate at the time. #straightoffthestill!

Comment

• Huskee
                      Huskee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      #jealous Bet that 180 proof's gotta be fierce! The commercial stuff is dumbed down for the avg Joe like me.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here