Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moonshine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moonshine?

Anyone here ever get the privilege to taste authentic backwoods illegal moonshine? Don't incriminate yourself, I'm only asking if you've ever tasted it! If so whatcha think?

I'm a big fan if the TV show Moonshiners and I recently ordered myself a 750mL bottle of Tim Smith's (one of the original main characters) Climax Moonshine. The production [legal] version is only 90proof, I suspect it has something to do with those things called laws.... But regardless, I'm looking forward to trying it. He's the Meathead of the moonshine world.

Yes I have and that's the worst hangover ever

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      You get the real stuff or the off-the-shelf commercial stuff?

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Last edited by Breadhead; June 26, 2016, 03:02 AM.

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      It was the real stuff out of a mason jar Huskee

Hmmm... I like to know what I'm getting. Buying stuff off the street can be deadly.πŸ™ˆ

Comment

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      I knew what I was getting and I didn't get it off the street.

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Home brewing... There's a lot of people trying it. I resist being their taste tester, is what I was saying, not actually buying it on the street corner. If they taste it first while I watch... Maybe if they didn't die overnight, I'll give it a try.πŸ˜†

Never been around the stuff, but I have run into SpamShiners from time to time.

Comment

I have. One was Gawd-aweful - the worst thing I ever tasted. Could likely power a rocket.

Also had some that was REALLY REALLY GREAT!

Comment

Now this is a true (and timely) story:

My job is traveling around the country teaching machine embroidery seminars, primarily to ladies where the average age is 80. I was doing a seminar this weekend in Huntsville (on the plane waiting to head home as I type this) and I am getting over a cold, so I was coughing a bit at the end of the day. We end at 5pm and about 3:30 I coughed and one of the ladies said I needed some moonshine. I asked if she had any and she said it was in the car. I asked if she always traveled with moonshine and she said she did. I told her I couldn't have any now but she should see me at 5. She answered, "No darlin', I'll be at Church by then."

Comment

Hypothetically speaking..... lol....

Yes.... I may or may not have known a guy some time ago that had access to some really good stuff... I may or may not have also known some guys that had access to some not so good stuff.

Based on those hypothetical situations, here are few things to consider and know:

1. There is some really good stuff out there and there is some really bad stuff out there.
          2. Real shine is not like drinking regular whiskey... the way you get drunk, the effects on you, and potential hangover are all different. It can sneak up on you... All of the sudden a couple swigs later and you are a one eyed pirate who can't figure out how to get out of his lawn chair
          3. There are ways to church it up a little. Tossing some fruit in the mason jar is something I have seen and maybe tasted. Gotta let that set for a while. Tried some one time that had been aged in a bourbon barrel or had pieces of charred oak thrown in the container... That gave it that caramel color with a touch of the charred oaky flavor. Also had some that was mixed with some stuff and had a cinnamon stick thrown in it and made it taste like liquid apple pie (that was dangerous cause you didn't know you were drinking). But the real high octane stuff you aren't going to be able to just mix it with a coke like you would Jack or Jim and it taste right.
          4. If you can light it and get a blue flame.... you got some potent stuff.
          5. I prefer when the mason jar has been pulled out of the freezer or fridge. (but i prefer cold drinks)
          6. The store purchases stuff just isn't the same.

Comment

Lots of folks may not know it but in Texas it is legal to distill your own spirits. There are various liquor laws that dictate how much you can make and you can't sell it but I suspect there is still some of that going on in deep east Texas. If I wasn't in the career field that I am I would have a still just to see how good I could get at it and what recipes I could come up with. Would never sell it but could probably run afoul of the law by trading for good food. As for the "Moonshiners" show, it's entertaining but total bs.

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Cool post! BS or not, the still making in the woods is educational and I enjoy it, seems real enough for me but I'm not a smart man. I'm quite sure the cops chasing them part is bs (the editing is always very misleading taking things out of context like they do) but I learned a lot with Tim's exploits going legal.
              Last edited by Huskee; June 26, 2016, 02:24 AM.

Originally posted by Nate View Post
            Hypothetically speaking..... lol....

All of the sudden a couple swigs later and you are a one eyed pirate who can't figure out how to get out of his lawn chair
            Nate That's Awesome

I'm pretty sure I've been there myself a time or three ....

Comment

I really enjoy running an old school stickburner, no knobs, dials, etc, and making what I consider real BBQ, and I'd love to run a wood fired still. Even if I end up not liking the product I just love the whole old school natural approach to all that. No clue if it's legal in MI for personal use but I'm guessing not.

Comment

I've had some pretty good ones over the years. Never drank much of it as I am really a beer guy. My neighbor likes the stuff, so every once and awhile...I would place the jar in the front yard where he would find it mowing his lawn. Then I would hide. Really funny to hear the mower stop and he takes a gulp.

Comment

Huskee, It shouldn't be any more illegal than Posing with a Plastic Fish! My first encounter with "Shine" was in Greensboro NC, and was given to me By a Hardshell Babtist, it was in a Mason Jar with not one Bit of Sediment and just a light tinge of a Rose Coloration! Son I am Here to Tell You Two Licks of It and I Was Tired! We have Everclear, 180 Proof Alcohol, available in ND for "Medicinal Purposes" and Wedding Punch but I Swear that "MoonShine" was Stronger!
                  Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan
                  Last edited by Danjohnston949; June 26, 2016, 03:51 AM.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
                    Danjohnston949 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Mr. Bones, AreYou Just a Touch Behind on Your HomeworkΓ’Ββ€œ I Couldn't Remember Until I Checked! You Know What They Say About the Second Thing To Go Is The MindΓ’Ββ€œ. πŸ‘πŸ‘ Thanks For πŸ‘ The Like πŸ‘πŸ‘
                    From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Around the third season, the state alcohol beverage board from where them guys are from came out and said if they were really making moonshine they would have been arrested a long time ago. They know who they all are as they aren't hiding their identities. The response from the ABC board was because tee totalers were screaming "why aren't you doing something about them?!" That being said, I found the first couple of seasons entertaining and Tickle reminds me of about half the people I grew up with.

Comment

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Easy for them to say that so they don't look like fools though. What else would they say? Lol. They have to be caught in the act, not on tv from a year ago (once the season airs on tv).

Yes. Here and abroad. I lived in Armenia for 2 years and they make their own "vodka" using fruit that has fermented in bathtubs and distilled using a simple still. I drank that stuff on occasion and it was knock you on your can powerful. Glad I did it when I was in my early 20s! The stuff I've had in the US has usually been a novelty brought out at hunt camp by one of the old timers who grew up in a holler and still had connections. No idea where they sourced it but I've had strawberry, peach and apple WV moonshine. Usually they make into something called "apple pie" or infuse it with cherries or some fruit (once it's finished) to take the edge off. Again, it sneaks up on you, leaves you dizzy, and sucks all of the moisture out of your body. I wouldn't buy it on my own. Too many good distilleries here in Kentucky and Scotland to go muckin' with that stuff!

Comment

It appears from many reviews I've read, some here, most elsewhere, that moonshine is definitely an acquired taste popular mainly with the southern hillbillies. Those who like other spirits and bourbons & Scotches seem to think moonshine is awful. I'm thinking I will probably think it's awful too. But I'll try anything once. If it's no good I'll just make Tom Collins with it. And since it's Tim's I'll call them Tim Collins.

Comment

• Huskee
                      Huskee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Awww yeah DWCowles

• richinlbrg
                      richinlbrg commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Just depends on the brewer, Huskee .

If you have someone who really knows what they are doing, you might really like it!

• Danjohnston949
                      Danjohnston949 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It didn't take You Fellers Long to Take "Good" Sippin' Liquour and turn into a Ladies Drink?? From Fargo ND, Dan

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here