Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moonshine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Danjohnston949
    commented on 's reply
    It didn't take You Fellers Long to Take "Good" Sippin' Liquour and turn into a Ladies Drink?? From Fargo ND, Dan

• Beefchop
    commented on 's reply
    That's about right!

• CurlingDog
    replied
    i had enjoyed some "home made" apple pie (nothing purchased) in liquid form a while back.
    shot #1: holy fires of hell, batman!
    shot #2: a warm glow all through the body
    shot #3: Smiles, everyone! Smiles!
    shot #4: keys officially turned over to the significant other. and who moved that wall?

Leave a comment:

• Beefchop
    replied
    I looked into doing this when I was into home brewing and this place sells stills and has a quick info. guide on the legalities.

http://www.clawhammersupply.com/blog...oonshine-legal

Basically, it's legal to own distilling equipment in the US but illegal to produce alcohol for consumption unless you have a Federal Distilled Spirits Permit. You can obtain Federal Fuel Alcohol Permit, which allows you to buy and own the equipment to make your own fuel (or distill oils, water, etc.) but it's still illegal to make moonshine even for your own personal use unless you have the FDSP. That said, the website above states that most people who do make their own are accepting the risk that the federal government is never going to come after them for brewing a gallon of shine for personal use (but they could). Apparently the distilled spirits permit isn't something the average home brewer would be able to obtain unless you were straight up looking to launch your own whisky business, which leaves most of us with the fuel alcohol permit. I never bought the equipment or obtained the fuel permit, but there are lots of Youtube videos of guys who have if you are interested.
    Last edited by Beefchop; June 27, 2016, 03:19 AM.

Leave a comment:

• martybartram
    replied
    Hypothetically, if I tasted it it would have come from the Daniel Boon National Forest in Kentucky. And if, hypothetically, I had tasted it, it is likely that I would maintain some in the liquor cabinet at home.
    That said the commercial stuff here in NC is really good. Our favorite, however, is the moonshine covered cherries - A quart mason jar filled with cherries and then filled with shine. Add one or two of those to your daiquiri or mojito and you have a really nice treat at the bottom of the glass.

Leave a comment:

• BriggsBBQ
    replied
    I tried making a still once but had some issues with the flow. The main thing with shine is be sure whoever is making it knows what they are doing. When yeast breaks down sugars it makes more than just C02 and ethanol. Also make methanol which concentrated will make you go blind. So if you make it make sure the methanol is all stilled first and toss it or make a cleaner out of it. Methanol will come over first because it has a lower boiling point. So never made any myself as my still was not working. It is ILLEGAL in Texas, nobody care if you did not make a big mess or try to sell it. I have had some from a friend of a friend and it was very good....didn't know the proof and did not go blind so win win.

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    Starting easy, a little apple pie. Cheers!

Leave a comment:

• richinlbrg
    commented on 's reply
    Just depends on the brewer, Huskee .

If you have someone who really knows what they are doing, you might really like it!

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    Awww yeah DWCowles

• DWCowles
    commented on 's reply
    or Jell-O shots Huskee

• Huskee
    replied
    It appears from many reviews I've read, some here, most elsewhere, that moonshine is definitely an acquired taste popular mainly with the southern hillbillies. Those who like other spirits and bourbons & Scotches seem to think moonshine is awful. I'm thinking I will probably think it's awful too. But I'll try anything once. If it's no good I'll just make Tom Collins with it. And since it's Tim's I'll call them Tim Collins.

Leave a comment:

• Beefchop
    replied
    Yes. Here and abroad. I lived in Armenia for 2 years and they make their own "vodka" using fruit that has fermented in bathtubs and distilled using a simple still. I drank that stuff on occasion and it was knock you on your can powerful. Glad I did it when I was in my early 20s! The stuff I've had in the US has usually been a novelty brought out at hunt camp by one of the old timers who grew up in a holler and still had connections. No idea where they sourced it but I've had strawberry, peach and apple WV moonshine. Usually they make into something called "apple pie" or infuse it with cherries or some fruit (once it's finished) to take the edge off. Again, it sneaks up on you, leaves you dizzy, and sucks all of the moisture out of your body. I wouldn't buy it on my own. Too many good distilleries here in Kentucky and Scotland to go muckin' with that stuff!

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    Easy for them to say that so they don't look like fools though. What else would they say? Lol. They have to be caught in the act, not on tv from a year ago (once the season airs on tv).

• SlushDeezey
    replied
    Around the third season, the state alcohol beverage board from where them guys are from came out and said if they were really making moonshine they would have been arrested a long time ago. They know who they all are as they aren't hiding their identities. The response from the ABC board was because tee totalers were screaming "why aren't you doing something about them?!" That being said, I found the first couple of seasons entertaining and Tickle reminds me of about half the people I grew up with.

Leave a comment:

• Danjohnston949
    replied
    Huskee, It shouldn't be any more illegal than Posing with a Plastic Fish! My first encounter with "Shine" was in Greensboro NC, and was given to me By a Hardshell Babtist, it was in a Mason Jar with not one Bit of Sediment and just a light tinge of a Rose Coloration! Son I am Here to Tell You Two Licks of It and I Was Tired! We have Everclear, 180 Proof Alcohol, available in ND for "Medicinal Purposes" and Wedding Punch but I Swear that "MoonShine" was Stronger!
    Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan
    Last edited by Danjohnston949; June 26, 2016, 03:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here