Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flask recommendations and tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flask recommendations and tips?

I fear this may be a silly question to those in the know, but to learn one must ask, so...

I'm looking to buy a flask for my favorite hard beverages in remote locations, such as fish camp, where a whiskey bottle isn't practical. Is there anything I should know about buying a flask, or all they all the same and it doesn't matter? If I get one, is there a recommended cleaning procedure I should be aware of so my Maker's 46 is at its finest, or is a general washing sufficient?

Many thanks....

My lovely wife got me this flask for my birthday last year. I believe it is a 64 oz. one.

As far as cleaning goes. I typically just try wash it like I would anything else as much as possible. The little opening makes it hard to really get anything down in there and clean it too well so you may pour some soapy water or other safe cleaning product in to it and shake it up a good bit and rinse it out real well. I usually then prop it upside down (straight up and down) in my dish drying rack (without blocking the opening) so water can run out...

As for the pictures... the bottle on the left is a fifth and the one on the right is a liter.... lol

Cheers!

Comment

• CurlingDog
      CurlingDog commented
      Editing a comment
      Nate all i got to say is... Proper!

I don't have a pic on hand, but I do have a flask I received as a groomsman gift I always carry with me camping and to some weddings, etc...
    My recommendation is that you make sure to purchase one that comes with a little funnel or a large screw top, because as Nate touched on they can be tedious to fill through such a small opening. Mine came with one thankfully. While Nate's flask is pretty awesome, I respectfully disagree as to the usefulness of it's size if you plan on using it for camping. I carry mine in suit and jacket pockets, so it's important to get one you can comfortably and somewhat inconspicuously carry around if you plan on doing so. I just keep a bottle at the camp with which I can refill it if I'll be there long enough. They get a bit heavy in the larger sizes, and if you're carrying something nice you're only going to want a sip at a time anyway.

Comment

I like glass, leather case, and metal top that doubles as a shot glass. Holds 1 pint. In my much younger days as a part of America's power-drinking paratroopers we would just fill a camelback with Jim Beam 😉

Comment

Huskee, You Damned Easterners, (East of the Red River of the North) You need to Falutinize Everything! Slam that Sucker Down and Throw the Bottle in the Ditch! 😙🤔😇🤔😙.
        Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          falutinize--I just learned a new verb. Thanks Danjohnston949. I always enjoy reading your posts.

Kathryn

• Danjohnston949
          Danjohnston949 commented
          Editing a comment
          Glad to be of some help, Kathryn! We talk funny out Here in the Wastelands! Dan

One thing I learned about flasks is that; if you take a pewter flask to elk camp at 10,000 ft altitude, and you drink enough that there is significant air in the flask, when you secure the cap and return to 2,500 ft it will collapse like a cheap beer can...

Comment

• Thunder77
          Thunder77 commented
          Editing a comment
          Cool! :-P

Hydroflask makes several different sizes/varieties of flasks. All double wall stainless steel, come in a variety of colors.

Comment

Just make sure it doesn't leak. I picked up one and filled it with some Anchor Rye. Lost a shot of the rye before I knew it leaked. I think a good gasket will do the trick.

When I have time, I'll be putting leather-wrapped flasks on my etsy page (I do leatherwork too).

Comment

Hahahaha, While in Alaska, my Dad was informed that we couldn't bring glass in to the bush. So he took out his Camel Pack and filled it with Macallan 18. That was his flask for the trip!! It worked great. But it only lasted a few nights!! Its tough to tell how many fingers your drinking, when its coming through the straw. Hahaha

Comment

• Thunder77
              Thunder77 commented
              Editing a comment
              Holy Crap! MacAllan 18 is goooood stuff!

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Guest The old man loooooves his brown drinks. Especially while fishing or doing man stuff.

Get yourself a 1.75 L bottle or two of St. Remy VSOP brandy. The brandy is pretty darn good ... and the bottle (which imparts absolutely no flavor to the contents) is plastic. We keep a couple of empties on hand for road trips and they work perfectly as unbreakable zero-cost alternatives to glass.

Click image for larger version

Name:	StRemyVSOP.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	6.1 KB
ID:	203750

Comment

This thread is making me thirsty 🍻

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here