Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us Your Bourbon/Whiskey/Rye/Scotch!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have more bottles than two adults need. Here are our favorites:

Old Forester 1920
    Makers 101
    Barrell Single Barrel batch 33
    Four Roses Single Barrel
    Knob Creek 9
    Rare Breed
    Michter’s Sour Mash

Wild Turkey 101 for Manhattans and Old Fashioneds

Our all-time favorite is Col. EH Taylor but we haven’t been able to find it here in nearly 3 years.

Comment

• Reds Fan 5
      Reds Fan 5 commented
      Editing a comment
      Huskee, Col. Taylor has been impossible to find in the Chicago suburbs. So have the other BT allocated bottles. We bet the bourbon buyer from a large, local store chain who turned us on to some more available bottles that are as good or better value—Makers 101, Makers Cask Strength, and Wilderness Trail sheared

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the info on the Barrell, yes it’s expensive out here as well, which is why I Haven’t purchased yet. Haven’t heard much about it, but I think TW will provide samples since it’s a spirits direct for them. I’ll see what I can try.

Thanks again!

And….BT is nearly impossible here as well. Although BT itself seems to be more available the last few months compared to the past years.

• Starsky
      Starsky commented
      Editing a comment
      You can never have too many bottles

I have a little of everything, but mainly bourbon, rye and some Islay scotch.😉
    That's Old Grandad BiB & John J. Bowman un the decanters.
    Attached Files

Comment

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      got it! Now the yellow wax makes sense….although I’d prefer Blue and Silver on my bottle then

I think it may be time to see what I can do to try out Bardstown and Barrell. I think Total Wine does have sample bottles of Barrell. Bardstown, I’ll have to see where I’ve seen this. I don’t remember where it’s sold here in NM.

What would you compare that BBC to? And thanks for the info!

• Skinsfan1311
      Skinsfan1311 commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm not sure what it compares to...it's a unique blend...it's really good...though...a tad pricey... ~ $62.00, but boy they sure can blend whiskey at BBC.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Impressive stash!

Originally posted by Reds Fan 5 View Post
    We have more bottles than two adults need. Here are our favorites:

Old Forester 1920
    Makers 101
    Barrell Single Barrel batch 33
    Four Roses Single Barrel
    Knob Creek 9
    Rare Breed
    Michter’s Sour Mash

Wild Turkey 101 for Manhattans and Old Fashioneds

Our all-time favorite is Col. EH Taylor but we haven’t been able to find it here in nearly 3 years.
    No you don't!

Comment

barelfly Here's the blend for the BBC Fusion #7 It's their own distillate. They are master blenders, IMHO.
      Attached Files

Comment

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        Been checking around in NM - we don’t get this here, so will have to see about trying it when I travel next week. It is in CO, so may ask my daughter to see if she can find it for me. Thanks again for sharing!

• Alan Brice
        Alan Brice commented
        Editing a comment
        I have asked my BIL to get some BBC in.

• Skinsfan1311
        Skinsfan1311 commented
        Editing a comment
        Alan the BBC Discovery series is very expensive, (at least to my cheap self ~ $145.00), but the Fusion series is half that price and very, very good. I've tried on of the Discovery series, (not sure which one), and it was also very good, but not at twice the cost of the Fusion. There's much better whiskey out there at that price point.

Suuwweeet! You must live near the river valley to have that kind of access. Very nice stores.

Comment

• Skinsfan1311
        Skinsfan1311 commented
        Editing a comment
        I see that you profile is in Cincinnati. The Party Source is right across the river & they have a huge selection of whiskey, with great prices. A friend of mine lives in Newport, KY, (almost across the street from the New Riff distillery) & she picks us stuff from the Party Source before visiting us here in MD.

• Alan Brice
        Alan Brice commented
        Editing a comment
        Great location. I shop New Riff quite often. You have a very impressive "watering hole", there.

This is a newer bottle/brand to me. But it’s growing on me. It’s hotter than what I normally drink, but it’s not overwhelmingly hot. Just a tad spicier than normal. But the profile is nice and something I would buy again.

This and the WT 101 Rye are two I’ve picked up over the last few months that I had never tried, as are the Russell’s Reserve Bottles. I really enjoy the RR bottles that I’ve picked up and have a RR13 sample someone sent me that I need to try as well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	EDA59266-4CF8-436C-AC3E-6C2335E9FBD8.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	1395888

Comment

• Alan Brice
        Alan Brice commented
        Editing a comment
        WT 101 was my go to. couple years ago a buddy turned me on to a handle of Benchmark at half the price. I have been all over the map since, incl Rye I just never ventured out to.

• Skinsfan1311
        Skinsfan1311 commented
        Editing a comment
        Great choice! The Rare Breed, (bourbon & rye) as well as the WT101 & WT101 rye are staples in our bar. I've found standard RR to be uneven, but the RR 10 year Single Barrel bottles are excellent. You can't go wrong with Wild Turkey. If you put very small splash, or a tiny cube, in the Rare Breed, it really opens up & tames the heat. Give it a try with a splash or cube & let us know what you think.

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        Excellent! Will give a drop of water in the Rare Breed and see how that works. Not sure why I didn’t try that. But will. THank you Skinsfan1311

Alan Brice - I have not seen Benchmark out this way. Will have to see if it’s available in Colorado when I make a trip there. I’ve heard good things about, watched a YT video the other day about their barrel proof bottle that someone thought was top notch!

I won this at a silent auction, paid a bit much for it but it was for charity.. it seems to be in high demand in my area because I can’t find it in stores but, I think the hype is a bit much is, I have tasted better bourbons that are much less expensive
      Attached Files

Comment

• Skinsfan1311
        Skinsfan1311 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah...people go nuts for Weller nowaday. It was good, back in the day when it was cheap.

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        I like Weller SR - but I’ll only pay MSRP for it. I use to be able to get it fairly easy but not any more. I’m learning there are some really good Wheated bourbons that are easy to pick up these days.

This ain't your Daddy's JD. It's really, really good. That being said, it chafes my cheap self that they stooped to selling it in 700ml bottles.
      Attached Files

Comment

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        I’ve wondered about a few of these bottles, as well as a few of the JB bottles at the lower price point. The JD SBBP is one of my favorites, so I’ll have to try this out.

This is a favorite of some on this board. As you can see, I’ve only had a few sips and I enjoy it more each time I’ve had this. Luckily, I have a back up bottle to this one!

Name:	E880BA46-9173-43AC-B135-8F59096354A5.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	1396933

Comment

• Jfrosty27
        Jfrosty27 commented
        Editing a comment
        My son broke out a bottle of this about a year ago and “tasted “ very thoroughly. Oh my. Really enjoyed it.

• Alan Brice
        Alan Brice commented
        Editing a comment
        Never have had, one day, hopefully.

Finally cracked open that bottle a Four Roses for Mr. Bones cook today, first impression it is sweeter than any other bourbon I have tried to this date.
      I'd almost say it has a caramel vanilla taste from the toast I made inn Mr. Bones honor.
      More research to come....

Comment

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        Sounds like a bottle I would enjoy! I like the type of bourbons you profile here!

• rlozinak
        rlozinak commented
        Editing a comment
        Sounds like a bottle I will have to try.

Mrs. Skinsfan baked today and the recipe called for lemon simple syrup. She had some leftover. Waste not, want not!
      Equal parts lemon simple syrup, bourbon, a few drops of bitters, stir with ice, strain and serve!
      Attached Files

Comment

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        Now I can see it! And what a cool glass that is!

• Skinsfan1311
        Skinsfan1311 commented
        Editing a comment
        barelfly Thanks! It was a stocking stuffer from the lovely Mrs. Skinsfan. I don't use it too often. When I do, it's for high-proof whiskey. It's dangerous though, because it kills me to waste perfectly good ice, so I end up having an extra pour, or three!

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        Hahah! Or three!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just gotta make those pours a little smaller and it all adds up to equal in the end!

As I sit here sipping my second pour while I cook dinner…..it may be a 3-4 pour…so….who’s counting anyway!

Do I like an Oaked bourbon! Started with the Woodford Double Oak, and now going with ECTB. These are excellent and just perfect bourbons! If you have any other double oaked or toasted barrel bourbons you like, let me know! Would love to try some others.

Name:	5601917C-4070-4905-B2AE-D01031721C9B.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	1397516

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        These are definitely two outstanding bourbons. You have exquisite tastes, sir! I used to travel long distances to get bottles of Toasted Barrel EC when it hit stores. Now it's more plentiful, a store 3 miles form me has 6 bottles. I hope the same for EH Taylor one day soon.

Ok…so thought I would give a try to something different that I’ve read about. Mellow Corn - Many feel it’s a bourbon that punches way above its price point - $19 for a BIB. I gave it a sip as I was getting dinner ready tonight and thought it was good. Not really something I would sip though, which I thought would be the case but it will make a great cocktail. There is a bit of a zing on the palate that was interesting, but very smooth, not overly sweet and no heat.

so, I’ll give this a go in an Old Fashioned soon and make it available as a spritzer bourbon for friends that come over. I think the next lower priced bottle I’ll buy will be Old Grandad BIB, which is about $23 if i remember correctly.

Name:	B3828FAC-4DD9-4B48-B4E4-1B126F52FC8F.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	1399350

Comment

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        Alan Brice nope. No benchmark anywhere! It’s on the list but can’t find it!

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Love MC! I keep a bottle of it in my truck hidden.

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        Man, that bottle brings back some memories

First time buying bourbon. Makers I have tasted at the bar and liked. And Elijah Craig small batch was reccomend Click image for larger version

Name:	20230401_122653.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	1400509

Comment

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        What did you think of these two?

• rlozinak
        rlozinak commented
        Editing a comment
        I figured I would try the Elijah Craig first and thought it was ok. Then I tried the makers and that is what I like. I got a almost caramel sweet flavor from it. Enjoyed it. Now my mission it to find another bourbon that is like it.

• BBryans3
        BBryans3 commented
        Editing a comment
        I find that by adding a cube or 2 to anything over 92 proof smooths out the flavor

Two new bottles to try today. I sent my daughter a list of bottles I can’t find in NM - she lives in Colorado and was able to find three bottles I’ve been looking for. I tried two of the three.

like the double oaked bourbons, or toasted bourbons such as Elijah Craig Toasted Barrel, or Woodford Reserve Double Oak, or Old Forester 1910. So, this Peerless Double Oak bottle was one I’ve been looking to find for a bit. It’s really good - Definitely oak forward, but not overwhelming. It’s not really sweet as well. Just a nice oaked, smooth finish that lasts, which I really enjoy.

Name:	5AEDB641-161F-480E-A4DB-377440032DD2.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	1400746

The second new pour was this Smoke Wagon Uncut, Unfiltered bottle. It’s a higher proof bourbon, which I’ve come to really enjoy more so lately. Has a well-rounded profile that I like - not hot, but drinks like a higher proofed bottle, a bit of sweetness but still smooth. In a way, it reminded me of JD Single Barrel Barrel Proof, but isn’t the same proof as JD. I may have to do a side by side to compare (I know - one is Tennessee Whiskey, this is made in Las Vegas, NV). But overall, it’s Just a really nice bottle. I also have a bottle of Smoke Wagon Uncut The Younger that I’ll open at some point to try. I’d expect that to be a bit less smooth but still really good. One other point - this bottle is really cool! Great detail in it along with the waxed coin/imprint on the front!

Name:	90FC651D-161D-47A2-8AA9-BDEC7746460F.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	1400747

Comment

• Alan Brice
        Alan Brice commented
        Editing a comment
        I have not heard of that. I will keep my eyes open. Thanks for that.
        Hey, it has smoke in name, can't be all bad.

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Great stuff! I've not tried Peerless' bourbon but their rye is outstanding, lives up to its name.

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        Huskee man these are good bottles! I’m sippin on the SW right now. It is good! High proof but doesn’t drink like it is. And the peerless DO - love it! I need to drink this along side Woodford DO and ECTB to see what I like the best.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here