Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2016 World's Best Whiskey, according to forbes.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just "invested" in a bottle of Midleton Very Rare. You don't wanna know the price, but it's a premium Irish whiskey made by the guys who make Jameson. it gets consistently high marks.

Bottom line: Midleton is an outstanding whiskey. It's smoother than a baby's butt and has absolutely no bite in it. It's wonderful and I can recommend without reservation. Just be prepared to refinance the house to walk out of the package store with it in a sack.

Comment

I'll stick with Miller Lite and the occasional glass of Bombay Sapphire. Never been a whiskey drinker but I have to say, this is an interesting thread. What's the most expensive whiskey you've ever tried and was it worth it? Maybe I'll convert from gin.

Comment

Originally posted by ribeyeguy View Post
        I'll stick with Miller Lite and the occasional glass of Bombay Sapphire. Never been a whiskey drinker but I have to say, this is an interesting thread. What's the most expensive whiskey you've ever tried and was it worth it? Maybe I'll convert from gin.
        Gin is good stuff, don't convert if you don't like whiskey. Sure it's an acquired taste, as are most things of this nature, but you like what you like. I can't do Jagermeister no matter how hard I try. But fwiw I'm finding rye whiskey is yummy, smoother than bourbon but a little more back end spice.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskee View Post

Gin is good stuff, don't convert if you don't like whiskey. Sure it's an acquired taste, as are most things of this nature, but you like what you like. I can't do Jagermeister no matter how hard I try. But fwiw I'm finding rye whiskey is yummy, smoother than bourbon but a little more back end spice.
          I like gin but it's not really a winter sipping drink. I'd like something to sip and savor while sitting by the fireplace in the winter. Whiskey though just reminds me of slamming Jack Daniels when I was a much younger and much more foolish person. Maybe this winter, if it ever comes, I'll try a high end brand and try to appreciate it. Any recommendations for a good winter sitting by the fire and watching a movie sipping blend?

Comment

ribeyeguy if anyone can recommend a nice sipping whiskey smarkley would be the guy to chime in. For me I like a nice bourbon since I like the flavor of Bulleit, and Makers Mark. For a rye .. anything Canadian is pretty good. I like 40 Creek, Gibson's Finest or Gibson's Sterling. Centennial is fine too but I don't know if you guys can get that or not. Canadian Rye is pretty mild and subtle compared to US Rye even though it may have the same alcohol content. I'd recommend buying a nice bottle and start with that .. stay away from Canadian Club. That stuff is just bad

Here is a site that you may like.
            Last edited by cdd315; December 11, 2015, 12:09 AM. Reason: Amended website.

Comment

That can't be the world's best whisky. First, they spelled it wrong. And second, it's not Lagavulin 16.

Comment

Originally posted by ribeyeguy View Post
                The absolutely most expensive whisky I've ever tasted is sitting in my booze cabinet right now. Battlehill's Bruichladdich 21 year. It cost $205 at Total Wine. It is truly a great whisky and very worth it. But I'm a pretty serious whisky drinker. Still, I think Lagavulin 16 year is the hands down best whisky money can buy, and it runs more in the $100 range. Thats' Washington state costs. We have some of the highest liquor taxes in the land, so probably cheaper where you are.

Comment

• CeramicChef
                  CeramicChef commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Oklahoma is still in the dark ages when it comes to liquor laws. Only 3.2 beer can be sold cold. No refrigerated booze in liquor stores. You can only get hard booze in liquor stores. No Costco stores here for that reason. I'm envious. Enjoy!

• ecowper
                  ecowper commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah, the state liquor store thing sucked. Surly employees, stupid rules about what you could buy, all of that.

• BriggsBBQ
                  BriggsBBQ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Even Texas is a little screwy. No liquor Sunday and beer after noon but can buy it at the bar. My wife is from Mexico, we went to a grocery store like HEB and full liquor section.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here