Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2016 World's Best Whiskey, according to forbes.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2016 World's Best Whiskey, according to forbes.com

I can't remember who posted about it, and I can't find the post itself, but someone in the last day or two posted about the new crowning champ (pun intended)of whiskeys, the 2016 World's Best Whiskey - Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye
    Here's the article

So I decided if I seen it in my local store I'd try it. Well, sorry for my wallet I did find it today.

I am no whiskey connoisseur by any means. I like whiskeys I probably shouldn't and I probably unfairly don't like those I should like. But as with all humans, I like what I like.

This is good!

Here's my I-don't-know-how-to-properly-describe-whiskey description: There's little to no burn on the tongue, but instead the burn comes on the back end, through my sinuses, but isn't harsh. It has a very tight, spicy finish. Crown is known for being smooth and this is no exception. Worth a try!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG9104.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	125330
    Last edited by Huskee; December 3, 2015, 04:47 PM.

Heh Heh... well Forbes is entitled to their opinion, and that is a STRONG statement... I will definitely try this whiskey. And if I keep my expectations low, maybe I will not be too disappointed. Hahahaha

Now... don't get mad and throw rocks or empty glasses at me... I have yet to taste a Canadian Whiskey that can support the title of 'Worlds Best'

Comment

• Danjohnston949
      Danjohnston949 commented
      Editing a comment
      smarkley, Real Men drink their Liquor Neat! No Rocks, No Water, No Mix straight up like the Gods Made It!
      👍👍🍹👍👍. Eat Well and Prosper! Dan

• _John_
      _John_ commented
      Editing a comment
      Canadian whiskey is what my mom used to drink, it was always way too sweet for me. I like Old Fashioned's with Rye so maybe this will be good, and if it is sweet I can lay off the simple syrup.

• BriggsBBQ
      BriggsBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Now I have had some awesome Japanese Scotch but I forget how to spell the name. I used to do a lot of bourbon and Buffalo Trace is very good. Angels Envy was my favorite.

Huskee Is there much of a price difference between this and the original?

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      This was $30.99 at my store but I don't remember exactly what the regular Crown costs...I really wanna say it's $10 more than regular but don't quote me.

I certainly trust your expertise with whiskeys smarkley. And you're right it is one person's opinion, the author of the Whiskey Bible is who says it's the champ (Forbes is just telling the story, they didn't rate it). How authoritative it truly is I don't know. Anyway I do like Crown since it's so smooth and I've never had a rye whiskey before, so I can really only compare this to bourbons and Scotches I've had.

Comment

• smarkley
      smarkley commented
      Editing a comment
      I have had a lot of Rye... a couple from Canada too - Rye is good, had a spicy finish usually.

I do look forward to trying this new Crown Royal!

• smarkley
      smarkley commented
      Editing a comment
      Opinions are funny things... I think that Buffalo Trace is the absolute best Bourbon on the Planet... but I know DWCowles would disagree ahahaahaha.... vive la difference!!!

• nickgutnick
      nickgutnick commented
      Editing a comment
      Buffalo trace is good, what about eagle rare or blantons?

I will stick with Mr Jack straight from the bottle

Comment

• smarkley
      smarkley commented
      Editing a comment
      Hahahaha! DWCowles you live a stones throw from best bourbon distilleries in the world and you drink Tennessee whiskey... Love It !!!!

Huskee When I have a question about a whiskey that I want to learn more about I go here drinkhacker.com

Here is his review on the Northern Harvest Rye :
    A Crown Royal Rye? Wait, isn’t all Canadian whisky “rye”? Hang on a sec. There’s a lot of confusion about rye and Canadian whisky, and rightly so: By law in Canada, a whisky only has to have some rye in it… Continue reading →

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Ha! Everyone's tongues are built different. I taste no apple at all, and I hate cloves and allspice and surely don't taste those either. But, what do I know. Lol.

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      Mr. Whiskey Bible may suffer from the same affliction that competition BBQ judges suffer. So much of the same, needs something odd to stand out.

I generally drink Rebel Yell. I know it's not great, but I can afford it, and, at a certain age, I had an affinity for its rakish, Stonesy appeal, and it stuck. And though this isn't the kind of thing I generally do, I took a bottle and tried the cheap bourbon hack that was all over the Interwebs for a couple of days a few weeks ago. I went lighter on the vanilla. And while I still wouldn't confuse it with great stuff. I repeated the hack on the next two bottles. But I may have to switch because they're giving away these bracelets with Rebel Yell now, and you can only give so many bracelets off a cheap bottle of booze to your six-year-old without wondering what kind of person you are anyway.

I also made bacon-infused bourbon once. That was just god-awful.
    Last edited by jmott7; December 4, 2015, 10:29 AM.

Comment

• jholmgren
      jholmgren commented
      Editing a comment
      Proof positive that no matter how good it is, you can't just "bacon all the things" and get good results every time.
      ...and yes... I'm still bitter about losing out on a neighborhood pie making contest to someone who sprinkled bacon bits on a chocolate pudding pie with store bought crust. Philistines.

Tempelton Rye made in IOWA. Made from Capone's original whiskey batch recipe. Very good stuff. Super smooth, just a small hint of sweet backed by smokey, earthy undertones. This stuff is killer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Templeton-Rye-Whiskey.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	125375
    Attached Files

Comment

Just had my wife try the Crown Rye. Without telling her what it was, she tasted and said "Oooh! That's good. ... [sip, taste] ... I taste, [sip, taste]... grain, but different. Like, grassy kind of. Reminds me of bailing hay. I like it."

So there you have it folks. I don't taste hay or grass either, lol. But it's good.

Comment

yeah... tasting whiskey is definitely a subjective endeavor!

Comment

I gave up the hard stuff years ago (with the exception of an occasional Cuba Libre), but my old man loves Pappy Van Winkle or Noah's Mill small batch.

He normally has one glass of the expensive stuff and then switches to Maker's Mark.

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Lol, to me Maker's IS the expensive stuff!

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            One of my food podcasts had a thing about Pappy and the absurdity involved in getting it.

Originally posted by smarkley View Post
          yeah... tasting whiskey is definitely a subjective endeavor!

And, requires much practice. After all, how can one become an expert without sampling all of the varieties?

Jim

Comment

I tried this last night at a buddy's house. He picked it up in Grand Forks ND. It can't be found in any local liquor stores. Clerk told me they got 270 bottles in the morning and it was gone by 3:30 when I was there. I'm by no means a connoisseur but I like it. Very smooth with a hint of spice. Jim Murray of the Whiskey Bible gave it 97.5 points and from what I've been able to determine his opinion is very respected.

Comment

smarkley Interesting, the other day I took a quick sip of the Crown NH Rye and for a very brief second got a sense of apple, but that quick it was gone. I took another sip and couldn't get the apple sensation back. I have no clue how or why it happened but wouldn't again, but thought I'd share that. Maybe that's where whiskey ratings folk get their descriptors- that very first quick sensation at first sip. I've noticed, as happens when I have Maker's in the cabinet, the bottle only has 1/4 left in it. My wife insists it must be evaporating while I'm at work...

Comment

Not often a huge fan of ryes, but every once in a while it scratches an itch. I might have to try this the next time we have a whiskey night with the neighbors (or "sca-bors" as we're known to some families...).

Working on Bulliet right now, to fortify myself for the afternoon tri tip cook (Office Christmas party tomorrow).

Comment

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Have a good cook! Hope you have nice weather for it. All this talk of whiskey has got me craving a glass...but it's not even 1pm here yet. Oh well.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here