Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One Bourbon, One Scotch and one Other?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the Other, I'd go either Irish whiskey or a rye. Unless you know people will really care about the difference between bourbon and rye (same/similar production methods, different grains used to make them), though, I wouldn't bother since you don't drink whiskey.

Comment

One more nip & make it strong,
      Got to find my baby if it takes all night long.
      Beer!

Comment

Bourbon: anything Bottled-in-Bond - Evan Williams White Label is a good choice here.

Scotch: if you like peat smoke, go with either Ardbeg Ten or Laphroaig 10. If peat isn't your thing, go with Auchentoshan Three Wood.

Other: Go with Redbreast 12 or 15-year Irish Whisky

Comment

Speyburn 10 Year Scotch
          Eagle Rare Bourbon
          Hendrix Gin, a bottle of Noily Pratt, and Q tonic for those who are not down with the brown.

Note: If they can't handle the whiskey or gin just give them a hard seltzer or simply ask them to leave.

Comment

Originally posted by ssandy_561 View Post
            Sorry, should have been more clear. I have all the other liquors. The Other refers to something else in the Whisk(e)y family.
            In that case I would say Irish or Rye, or even a Canadian whiskey (which is a rye). Dark Horse by Alberta Premium is probably your best Canadian at this price point. Or even Crown Royal would be a good one.

Comment

• smokin fool
              smokin fool commented
              Editing a comment
              Crown Royal in purple for mixed drinks, go to Black or Northern Tradition for sipping whiskey.

As a budget bourbon, I like Old Forrester 100 proof. Typically about $25, often on sale a little cheaper.

Comment

Rye - Sazerac, or Rittenhouse, or Wild Turkey Rye. Rare Breed Rye is REALLY GOOD but it's above your $$ limit at about $60.
              Irish whiskey - Green Spot or Redbreast 12

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
                DogFaced PonySoldier commented
                Editing a comment
                Love me some Sazerac rye! Woodford Reserve rye is good, even Knob Creek rye, too. I actually like George Dickel's and it's cheap. Whistlepig is highly sought after, and while I found it good, it wasn't worth twice the price of the other good ones. Sazerac I buy several bottles at a time when I find a good price.

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Knob Creek Rye, an Geroge Dickel's 12 are constant go-to's, on my bar...

Since we are talking a 3rd in the whisky family, I would suggest a rye whisky of some sort. The only ones I've bought are Jack Daniel's Tennessee Rye or Single Barrel Rye, and Wild Turkey 101 Rye. If you are going with Scotch as an option, I wouldn't also go after an Irish whisky. Go domestic.

Rye imparts a spiciness to the whisky that you don't find in whisky made from other grains. I like it a lot, both for sipping and in drinks.
              Last edited by jfmorris; December 13, 2021, 03:11 PM.

Comment

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                Mr. Bones she's doing pretty good, all things considered. She had so much nausea (and constipation) from the pain meds that she stopped taking them 3 days ago, and is only on Tylenol at this point. Pretty bad when the pain meds make your stomach hurt more than the leg that got a rod and three incisions (one of them over a foot long). We changed the dressing tonight and while it doesn't look GOOD by any stretch, nothing looks infected, which is the goal right now.

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Baby Steps, like afore
                Some weed'll help, with both th nausea, an pain...

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                Mr. Bones only weeds here are the ones growing in my yard.... we don't live in a state where the other kind of weed is a legal option...

Crown Royal,,,,,
              blended Canadian whiskey,,,

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                My first youthful introduction to some Good, Smooth Whiskey...way to easy to drink way too much of

Bourbon - Woodford Reserve
              Scotch - Monkey Shoulder - Crowd pleaser. Good straight or mixed. Alternate Glinfiddich 12
              Other- Whistle Pig 6 year Rye

Comment

I haven't read through the the great posts here to see if I'm repeating anything. What I personally would do to offer the perhaps quintessential midrange (more mass appeal hopefully) of each category, is:
                bourbon: Buffalo Trace or Elijah Craig
                Scotch: Glenmorangie (regular, the orange label)
                Other: Bumbu rum.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here