Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One Bourbon, One Scotch and one Other?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One Bourbon, One Scotch and one Other?

Thank you for all your responses in my other post.

I definitely have more knowledge on the subject now.

I have decided to get One Bourbon, One Scotch and One Other now. I’d still like each bottle to be in the $25 to $30 dollar range.

I figure it doesn’t go bad (I know once it’s opened it does diminish in taste after a while) and I can use it for BBQ sauce and cooking.

So sorry to bother you once again but if you could give me suggestions for:
    One Bourbon
    One Scotch
    One Other [Somthing other in the whisk(e)y family]

Looking to cover as many bases as possible

Thanks Again

Steve
    Last edited by ssandy_561; December 13, 2021, 10:00 AM.

Tito’s Vodka. Can make many drinks with Vodka. Add in club soda and maybe a bottle of vermouth if you wanted to go one more step, you can make a few drinks this way - vodka soda, martini, and really anything can be added to the vodka.

Or, skip the scotch all together and To go with your other thread on the bourbon - add in regular Bitters, make some demara simple syrup, buy some nice luxardo cherries and make Old Fashions for everyone. I don’t know anyone who hasn’t liked an OF. You could just go this route only, not buy anything else.

You would look like the host with the most

Comment

• ssandy_561
      ssandy_561 commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry should have been more clear. I have all the other liquors. The other is something else in the Whisk(e)y family

Booze prices can differ quite a lot by region. However, these three should be in your price range or very close.

I did read the other thread.

I’d recommend Maker’s Mark for the bourbon, Glenlivet 12 Year for the whisky, and Drambuie as a mixer for coffee, with the Glenlivet or Maker’s Mark, or even sparkling wine.
    Last edited by STEbbq; December 13, 2021, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Vodka would be the easy answer.
      Or some kind of liqueur like Baileys, Grand Marnier, Drambuie maybe Kalua.
      Someone already mentioned Brandy/Cognac.
      Tough call to make with so many varying tastes in a room, again as mentioned buy for your self, guests will adapt to what you have on hand.
      If a guest has a preference for a specific brand, mention in passing, they may feel free to supply they own libations as your drink menu may not live up to they're expectations.

Comment

• ssandy_561
        ssandy_561 commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry should have been more clear. I have all the other liquors. Something other in the Whisk(e)y family

Comment

• gboss
        gboss commented
        Editing a comment
        Also acceptable: the JLH version.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Th JLH first version was my Gateway, but this is th OG...
        JLH one my earliest an biggest Heroes...
        gboss

• gboss
        gboss commented
        Editing a comment
        Buddy Guy and Art Blakey were two early musical heros for me, probably because I got to see them both live at a young age. Still have Buddy’s autograph when I met him as a precocious 10(?) year-old.

Can’t go wrong with OG though.

The things I keep as a minimum in my cabinet are , Makers Mark, Four Roses, Titos and a couple cheap rums like Bacardi (White) and Kraken Spiced Rum. Any of the above can be drank straight or are fine for mixing and none of them break the bank.....yea I'm a pretty cheap drinker....HA

Comment

• ssandy_561
        ssandy_561 commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry should have been more clear. I have all the other liquors. Something other in the Whisk(e)y family

Bourbon - Buffalo Trace
      Scotch - Tomatin Highland 12
      Other - Agree vodka is the most versatile. Also agree with Tito's.

Comment

• ssandy_561
        ssandy_561 commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry should have been more clear. Something other in the whisk(e)y family

Sorry, should have been more clear. I have all the other liquors. The Other refers to something else in the Whisk(e)y family.

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        In that case, I suggest Tennessee Whisky, or better yet, Rye whisky.

In the whiskey family, you could go with an Irish. Jameson's is ubiquitous; I prefer Tullamore Dew. But, you could also go with an American/Canadian blend, which, in my opinion, mix better than straight bourbons. If I order a Manhattan, I prefer VO, for example. I think Seagram's 7 mixes well too.

Comment

I am a big fan of Maker's Mark, it's a wheated bourbon, so it tends to be more mellow IMO. Along those lines, Maker's 46 is an alternative, tends to be a touch sweeter, but a touch higher ABV. I feel as though these are widely available, appeal to most and somewhat budget friendly. Of course, you've gotten good advice above too. Buffalo Trace is my favorite, but exceptionally hard to find in my part of the world.

I do have a buddy that scours the bottle shops for budget friendly bourbons/whiskeys.......I guess you can say it's his "hobby". He swears Old Granddad is a fine bourbon.

Comment

• Murdy
          Murdy commented
          Editing a comment
          I've heard, don't know if it's true, that Basil Hayden's is basically Old Granddad repackaged.

Bourbon? Buffalo Trace, Beam Black, KnobCreek. All three.
        Scotch? I couldn't help ya there...

Comment

RYE!

Comment

What a bunch of alcoholics.....right up my alley !! Get some Gin, for your 3rd choice. Gin and tonics are great this time of year. I recommend Citadelle, Aviation or even Bombay Sapphire. All of them can be gotten for under $30.

Comment

One Bourbon - Wild Turkey 101
              One Scotch - Isle of Skye 8 Yr. or Johnny Walker Black
              One Other - Tito's, Stoli, or Russian Standard (if you can find it) vodka

Good bourbons under $30 are plentiful. I like WT101 because it packs a lot of punch for the $. Works well in mixed drinks and you can sip it with a little ice and water. I also like Evan Williams Black, Evan Williams White (100 proof BIB), Old Grandad 100 proof and Jim Beam Black. Scotch is harder because single malts are usually over $30, but you can get a nice blended for $30. My fave is Isle of Skye. The 8 year is affordable and pretty tasty, especially if you like scotch and soda. Johnny Walker Black is also a good choice, but depending on where you live it can be more than $30. It's more widely available though. Monkey Shoulder is popular but I've never liked it. Teacher's Highland Cream is another good choice. For the third bottle, nothing beats vodka in the versatility department, and like bourbon, lots of great choices under $25. It's grain alcohol so I don't buy the hype of the super premium brands--I think there are diminishing marginal returns once you cross the $25 mark. Most of it seems like slick marketing. I can't argue against Tito's because every cocktail I've had with Tito's has been great. But it's made with corn. Go with Stoli or Russian Standard if you are looking for a more traditional, Russian vodka.

Fun assignment!

Comment

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                I will second the Wild Turkey 101 for the "economical" bourbon category, as well as the Johnny Walker for the scotch category.

Or for something entirely different, Sweet Lucy, from Pritchard's Distillery. https://prichardsdistillery.com/liqueurs.html

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here