Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One Bourbon, One Scotch and one Other?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr. Bones
    replied
    Bourbon? Buffalo Trace, Beam Black, KnobCreek. All three.
    Scotch? I couldn't help ya there...

Leave a comment:

• au4stree
    replied
    I am a big fan of Maker's Mark, it's a wheated bourbon, so it tends to be more mellow IMO. Along those lines, Maker's 46 is an alternative, tends to be a touch sweeter, but a touch higher ABV. I feel as though these are widely available, appeal to most and somewhat budget friendly. Of course, you've gotten good advice above too. Buffalo Trace is my favorite, but exceptionally hard to find in my part of the world.

I do have a buddy that scours the bottle shops for budget friendly bourbons/whiskeys.......I guess you can say it's his "hobby". He swears Old Granddad is a fine bourbon.

Leave a comment:

• Murdy
    replied
    In the whiskey family, you could go with an Irish. Jameson's is ubiquitous; I prefer Tullamore Dew. But, you could also go with an American/Canadian blend, which, in my opinion, mix better than straight bourbons. If I order a Manhattan, I prefer VO, for example. I think Seagram's 7 mixes well too.

Leave a comment:

• ssandy_561
    commented on 's reply
    Sorry should have been more clear. Something other in the whisk(e)y family

• ssandy_561
    commented on 's reply
    Sorry should have been more clear. I have all the other liquors. The other is something else in the Whisk(e)y family

• ssandy_561
    commented on 's reply
    Sorry should have been more clear. I have all the other liquors. Something other in the Whisk(e)y family

• ssandy_561
    commented on 's reply
    Sorry should have been more clear. I have all the other liquors. Something other in the Whisk(e)y family

• ssandy_561
    replied
    Sorry, should have been more clear. I have all the other liquors. The Other refers to something else in the Whisk(e)y family.

Leave a comment:

• Joey877
    replied
    Bourbon - Buffalo Trace
    Scotch - Tomatin Highland 12
    Other - Agree vodka is the most versatile. Also agree with Tito's.

Leave a comment:

• Dadof3Illinois
    replied
    The things I keep as a minimum in my cabinet are , Makers Mark, Four Roses, Titos and a couple cheap rums like Bacardi (White) and Kraken Spiced Rum. Any of the above can be drank straight or are fine for mixing and none of them break the bank.....yea I'm a pretty cheap drinker....HA

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Bones
    replied
    https://youtu.be/IEpzqLPwG7Q

Leave a comment:

• smokin fool
    replied
    Vodka would be the easy answer.
    Or some kind of liqueur like Baileys, Grand Marnier, Drambuie maybe Kalua.
    Someone already mentioned Brandy/Cognac.
    Tough call to make with so many varying tastes in a room, again as mentioned buy for your self, guests will adapt to what you have on hand.
    If a guest has a preference for a specific brand, mention in passing, they may feel free to supply they own libations as your drink menu may not live up to they're expectations.

Leave a comment:

• IFindZeroBadCooks
    replied
    Booze prices can differ quite a lot by region. However, these three should be in your price range or very close.

I did read the other thread.

I’d recommend Maker’s Mark for the bourbon, Glenlivet 12 Year for the whisky, and Drambuie as a mixer for coffee, with the Glenlivet or Maker’s Mark, or even sparkling wine.
    Last edited by IFindZeroBadCooks; December 13, 2021, 09:28 AM.

Leave a comment:

• barelfly
    replied
    Tito’s Vodka. Can make many drinks with Vodka. Add in club soda and maybe a bottle of vermouth if you wanted to go one more step, you can make a few drinks this way - vodka soda, martini, and really anything can be added to the vodka.

Or, skip the scotch all together and To go with your other thread on the bourbon - add in regular Bitters, make some demara simple syrup, buy some nice luxardo cherries and make Old Fashions for everyone. I don’t know anyone who hasn’t liked an OF. You could just go this route only, not buy anything else.

You would look like the host with the most

Leave a comment:

• ssandy_561
    started a topic One Bourbon, One Scotch and one Other?

One Bourbon, One Scotch and one Other?

Thank you for all your responses in my other post.

I definitely have more knowledge on the subject now.

I have decided to get One Bourbon, One Scotch and One Other now. I’d still like each bottle to be in the $25 to $30 dollar range.

I figure it doesn’t go bad (I know once it’s opened it does diminish in taste after a while) and I can use it for BBQ sauce and cooking.

So sorry to bother you once again but if you could give me suggestions for:
    One Bourbon
    One Scotch
    One Other [Somthing other in the whisk(e)y family]

Looking to cover as many bases as possible

Thanks Again

Steve
    Last edited by ssandy_561; December 13, 2021, 10:00 AM.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
Rubs Promo

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These are some of our favorite tools and toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use Our Links To Help Keep Us Alive

A big part of this site is our unbiased equipment and product reviews. We love playing with toys and we have no problem calling them the way we see them. Some companies pay a finder’s fee if a reader clicks a link on AmazingRibs.com and buys a product. It has zero impact on our reviews, zero impact on the price you pay, and the sites never tell us what you bought, but it has a major impact on our ability to keep this site alive! So before you buy, please click our links. Here’s a link that takes you to a page on Amazon that has some of our favorite tools and toys: https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

Compact Powerful Sear Machine For Your Next Tailgater

Char-Broil’s Grill2Go x200 is a super-portable, fun little sizzler made of heavy, rust-proof cast aluminum. The lid snaps shut. Grab the handle and you’re off to the party! Char-Broil’s TRU-Infrared design produces searing heat while reducing fuel consumption. A 16 ounce LP gas canister is enough to keep you flipping burgers for hours.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

The Good-One Open Range is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read ourcomplete review

Comprehensive Temperature Magnet With 80+ Important Temps

Amazingribs.com temperature magnet
Winner of the National BBQ Association’s product of the year award. This 8.5″ x 11″ magnet contains more that 80 benchmark temperatures for meats (both USDA recommended temps as well as the temps chefs recommend), fats and oils, sugars, sous vide, eggs, collagens, wood combustion, breads, and more. Although it is not certified as all-weather, we have tested it outdoors in Chicago weather and it has not delaminated in three years, but there is minor fading.

Click here to order.

The Efficiency Of A Kamado Plus The Flexibility Of The Slow ‘N Sear Insert

kamado grill
Built around SnS Grill’s patented Slow ‘N Sear charcoal kettle accessory, this 22-inch kamado is a premium ceramic grill that brings true 2-zone cooking to a kamado.

Click here for our article on this exciting cooker

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. The quality of meat from this machine is astonishing. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat controlled oven. It is our favorite smoker, period.
Click here for our review of this superb smoker

Surely you know somebody who loves outdoor cooking who deserves a gift for the holidays, birthday, anniversary, or just for being wonderful. There he is, right in the mirror! Here are our selections of best ideas, all Platinum or Gold Medalists, listed by price.

Click here to see our list of Gold Medal Gifts

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers because temperature control is so much easier.

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them