Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One Bourbon, One Scotch and one Other?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smokin fool
    commented on 's reply
    Crown Royal in purple for mixed drinks, go to Black or Northern Tradition for sipping whiskey.

• kjbarth
    replied
    Rye - Sazerac, or Rittenhouse, or Wild Turkey Rye. Rare Breed Rye is REALLY GOOD but it's above your $$ limit at about $60.
    Irish whiskey - Green Spot or Redbreast 12

Leave a comment:

• Murdy
    replied
    As a budget bourbon, I like Old Forrester 100 proof. Typically about $25, often on sale a little cheaper.

Leave a comment:

• Murdy
    commented on 's reply
    I've heard, don't know if it's true, that Basil Hayden's is basically Old Granddad repackaged.

• Joey877
    replied
    Originally posted by ssandy_561 View Post
    Sorry, should have been more clear. I have all the other liquors. The Other refers to something else in the Whisk(e)y family.
    In that case I would say Irish or Rye, or even a Canadian whiskey (which is a rye). Dark Horse by Alberta Premium is probably your best Canadian at this price point. Or even Crown Royal would be a good one.

Leave a comment:

• Attjack
    replied
    Speyburn 10 Year Scotch
    Eagle Rare Bourbon
    Hendrix Gin, a bottle of Noily Pratt, and Q tonic for those who are not down with the brown.

Note: If they can't handle the whiskey or gin just give them a hard seltzer or simply ask them to leave.

Leave a comment:

• gboss
    commented on 's reply
    Also acceptable: the JLH version.

• luvthemstillers
    replied
    Bourbon: anything Bottled-in-Bond - Evan Williams White Label is a good choice here.

Scotch: if you like peat smoke, go with either Ardbeg Ten or Laphroaig 10. If peat isn't your thing, go with Auchentoshan Three Wood.

Other: Go with Redbreast 12 or 15-year Irish Whisky

Leave a comment:

• FireMan
    replied
    One more nip & make it strong,
    Got to find my baby if it takes all night long.
    Beer!

Leave a comment:

• rickgregory
    replied
    For the Other, I'd go either Irish whiskey or a rye. Unless you know people will really care about the difference between bourbon and rye (same/similar production methods, different grains used to make them), though, I wouldn't bother since you don't drink whiskey.

Leave a comment:

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    I will second the Wild Turkey 101 for the "economical" bourbon category, as well as the Johnny Walker for the scotch category.

• CandySueQ
    replied
    Or for something entirely different, Sweet Lucy, from Pritchard's Distillery. https://prichardsdistillery.com/liqueurs.html

Leave a comment:

• Beefchop
    replied
    One Bourbon - Wild Turkey 101
    One Scotch - Isle of Skye 8 Yr. or Johnny Walker Black
    One Other - Tito's, Stoli, or Russian Standard (if you can find it) vodka

Good bourbons under $30 are plentiful. I like WT101 because it packs a lot of punch for the $. Works well in mixed drinks and you can sip it with a little ice and water. I also like Evan Williams Black, Evan Williams White (100 proof BIB), Old Grandad 100 proof and Jim Beam Black. Scotch is harder because single malts are usually over $30, but you can get a nice blended for $30. My fave is Isle of Skye. The 8 year is affordable and pretty tasty, especially if you like scotch and soda. Johnny Walker Black is also a good choice, but depending on where you live it can be more than $30. It's more widely available though. Monkey Shoulder is popular but I've never liked it. Teacher's Highland Cream is another good choice. For the third bottle, nothing beats vodka in the versatility department, and like bourbon, lots of great choices under $25. It's grain alcohol so I don't buy the hype of the super premium brands--I think there are diminishing marginal returns once you cross the $25 mark. Most of it seems like slick marketing. I can't argue against Tito's because every cocktail I've had with Tito's has been great. But it's made with corn. Go with Stoli or Russian Standard if you are looking for a more traditional, Russian vodka.

Fun assignment!

Leave a comment:

• Troutman
    replied
    What a bunch of alcoholics.....right up my alley !! Get some Gin, for your 3rd choice. Gin and tonics are great this time of year. I recommend Citadelle, Aviation or even Bombay Sapphire. All of them can be gotten for under $30.

Leave a comment:

• DogFaced PonySoldier
    replied
    RYE!

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here