Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scotch and bourbon finished in wine barrels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scotch and bourbon finished in wine barrels?

Hi all, I’m looking for Scotch finished in Wine barrels (with some peatiness) recommendations. I’m almost through my Highland Park 12 yr, which was really good, but want to try something maybe even better. I was hoping to find Bunnahabhain Bordeaux series, but sounds like that is not available in the states.

I would also be interested in Bourbon done the same way. I know there is Angels Envy, but something possibly better.
    Last edited by Mark-B; November 14, 2021, 04:16 PM.

I've thoroughly enjoyed Glenmorangie in both port and sherry cask finishes. This is not a very peaty scotch, but I found both versions to really excellent. It's definitely scotch, but there's enough background flavor in the finishing cask to add a whole new dimension of flavor that I really enjoyed.

Comment

• Caffeine88
      Caffeine88 commented
      Editing a comment
      Bkhuna LOL I love both of those! Glenfiddich was the first scotch I ever tried, and I have a real soft spot for it. I hated Lagavulin the first time I tried it, and now it's one of my faves. It is definitely an acquired taste, but it hurts my soul a little that you threw it away!

• Bkhuna
      Bkhuna commented
      Editing a comment
      Caffeine88 - It didn't go to waste. I had friends that liked it.

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      I like the Glen Morangie Necter D'or. It is finished in bourbon casks.

Balvenie 14 yr Scotch, finished in Caribbean Casks. I picked this specific scotch up a few years back based on recommendations from The Pit, may have been Huskee who I talked with about it. I don’t drink scotch but thought I’d give it a try. I didn’t care for it, but I was thinking the rum would mellow it a bit. the peat flavor definitely stood out to me. And maybe that’s because I’m not use to Scotch. I just can’t get over that peat flavor/aroma. I’m sure it’s a great Scotch, as I’ve seen many friends of mine have Balvenie in their cabinets.

But thought I’d throw that out there for you. Not a wine cask, but finished differently than most.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't care for peated Scotches at all, but I have enjoyed a couple Balvenie non-peated barrel-finished Scotches I've tried. From experience I feel that if you're a bourbon fan you can still taste a hint of smoke even in non-peated Scotches, especially if you don't care for the smokiness.

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      Huskee that may have been why you recommended this Balvenie, to guide me away from the peat!

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      I love a Balvenie 12 year doublewood. (Not peaty)
      Last edited by Richard Chrz; January 9, 2022, 05:50 PM.

As far a a bourbon recommendation I would highly recommend "Dareringer"by Rabbit Hole. It is a straight bourbon whiskey finished in a PX Sherry Casks. It's quite tasty.

As for Scotch I'm of no help.

Sweaty

Comment

Here is a pick of the bottle.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Mark-B
        Mark-B commented
        Editing a comment
        I’ve seen this around. May give this one a shot! TY!

Aberlour has a scotch finished in a sherry cask that's really good

Comment

• Mark-B
        Mark-B commented
        Editing a comment
        Aberlour rates pretty high! I’ve not tried any as of yet. Do they have some peatiness to them? Might have to get a tasting of that too!

• BFlynn
        BFlynn commented
        Editing a comment
        It's not super peaty.
        I like a peaty scotch about once a year. I like Aberlour all the time.

It's closer to MacCallen than Laphroaig

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        Agreed! I need some arberlour in my life in 2022Agreed, not peaty
        Last edited by Richard Chrz; January 9, 2022, 05:51 PM.

My local, and excellent distillery, J Henry & Sons, has a 5 year old bourbon they finish in Cognac barrels. They call it Bellefontaine Reserve, is most excellent, and I highly recommend trying some.

Comment

• Mark-B
        Mark-B commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow, now that sounds good! I'll look 'em up!

• BFlynn
        BFlynn commented
        Editing a comment
        Sounds tasty

• RustyHaines
        RustyHaines commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh it is. Again and again . . . . .

Tomatin 14 year old is finished in port barrels similar to Glenmorangie 14 Quinta Ruban. Both are really good Scotches.

Comment

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        Like your Avitar.
        Scotch, I "kilt" the idea. I am happy with Old Crow, The Original Sour Mesh

Please don't get me wrong, I enjoy sipping a good Scotch.
        Last edited by bbqLuv; January 7, 2022, 08:34 PM.

While I don't care so much for the peat or smoke, I do like sherry-finished single malts.

The Balvenie Doublewood 12-year
      The Macallan 12-year Sherry Oak finished
      Glenmorangie Lasanta

Those are some of my favorites.

Comment

• Mark-B
        Mark-B commented
        Editing a comment
        I’ve had the Lasanta in one of the sample boxes they sell. All of them were really good, but a bit thin to me. I may be getting too accustomed to higher proof whisky’s. A friend of mine swears by the DoubleWood. May need to try that one.

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        Mark-B it’s hard to beat a Doublewood for the price.

• DogFaced PonySoldier
        DogFaced PonySoldier commented
        Editing a comment
        I used to drink Doublewood a lot. Now I can't afford it anymore, it's gone up to $70 a bottle here. I will buy myself a bottle a couple times a year as a treat. <sigh>

I found another one. Red Cabin. Bourbon finished in cabernet barrels. Distilled, bottled, and aged by Central Standard Distillery in Milwaukee. Very tasty and smells wonderful.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220110_072438627.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	1157002

Comment

The one on the right was finished in a Guinness cask. I haven't tried it yet but I'm sure it's fantastic. Lagavulin never disappoints.

Attached Files

Comment

I pulled the trigger on this one a few weeks ago. As a cheap bastard, (and proud of it ), the $88.00 price tag kept scaring me away. I bought it at the package store on base, with our son, so at least it was tax-free. That, and Mrs. Skinsfan wanted it

I'm not a huge fan of finished whiskey because, to me, whatever they finish it in dominates the flavor profiles. The Angel's Envy Rye proves this point. The rum flavor is pretty strong and the liquor is too sweet for me. The MGP rye is there, but hiding in the background. This will make a good dessert pour but, once it's gone, I'll never replace it.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Tax Man
            Tax Man commented
            Editing a comment
            Friend bought me a bottle of Angel Envy (not the rye) and I was not impressed. Didn't hate it but wouldn't ever buy a bottle.

• Dewesq55
            Dewesq55 commented
            Editing a comment
            Different strokes. . . Angel's Envy is my favorite more or less affordable bourbon.

I have a couple of bottles of Balvenie 14 year old finished in Caribbean rum casks also but they are almost too mellow. I kind of like the taste of my whisky with a good cigar and a shot of Glenlivet 12 year or Basil Hayden is more for my palate. I usually give the Balvenie to guests whom inquire about whisky straight as it is a mellow introduction for them. Guess I just like my whisky flavor.
          Last edited by cruiseplanner1; January 22, 2022, 09:56 AM.

Comment

If you are looking for something that’s not peaty this one is excellent!
            Attached Files

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
              DogFaced PonySoldier commented
              Editing a comment
              I visited this distillery outside Glasgow - impressive and educational. I would highly recommend doing a Scotch distillery tour if you ever have the opportunity!

Having a bit of this tonight. It’s sorta wine barrel finished 😀. Watched the last episode of 1883. Pretty heavy, but wow what a series!
            Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here