Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting article on gins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting article on gins

At least I found it interesting...

https://vinepair.com/articles/bombay...gin-explained/

The one thing that irritated me was that they never mentioned which gin was # 1 in sales - at least as far as I read.
    Last edited by RonB; May 5, 2021, 10:23 AM.

I vote Beefeater when I enjoy gin.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Can't go wrong with Beefeater! The only budget gin I buy more lately is New Amsterdam. Nice & bold like Beefeater.

• Pobeque
      Pobeque commented
      Editing a comment
      Beefeater is great for cocktails, love Plymouth for dry martinis

You need at least 2 gins, maybe 3 depending.

A London Dry for martinis, G&T, etc. You want that hit of juniper.

Some drinks, e.g. an Aviation, are better with what I call New American... basically aromatics other than juniper. Hendricks is the easy choice there. The prominent juniper notes will swamp other ingredients in these drinks, so you want something other than the London Drys.

You might want an Old Tom Gin for some things. It's a different style and fun to have around if you want to play with older, Victorian gin drink recipes. Hayman is a good choice here.

Comment

I drink Hendrick's.

Comment

A few I enjoy are:
        Botanist
        Monkey 47
        Brokers
        Sip Smith
        Roku

I like this guy's reviews
        Welcome to No Nonsense Gin Drinking! If you like gin reviews, gin comparisons and gin cocktails then you are in the right place my friend! Straight talking, honest, no nonsense and a bit of comedy thrown in for good measure! Join my ever growing band of drinks enthusiasts by subscribing today. 😊😊 My setup: Camera - https://amzn.to/3zp5s4x Microphone - https://amzn.to/3iDCV4p Lighting - https://amzn.to/3Bw3XTV Tripod - https://amzn.to/3kP1m1B

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          +1 for Roku

I’m a fan of Plymouth, Tanqueray 10 and Rangpur.

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          I also like Plymouth.

I don't experiment with gins, Tanqueray takes my vote all day long.
        Tons of ice and a good tonic with lemon and lime wedges.
        Grudgingly I will drink Gordons or Bombay, sometimes Beefeater.
        Gilby's Distillery makes a great Lemon Gin.
        Tall glass with lots of ice and pink lemonade.
        Mmmm-mmm-mmm....

Comment

Plymouth. I buy one bottle a year whether I need it or not.

Comment

Gordon’s is the best selling gin.

Comment

Plymouth! I was a Bombay Sapphire guy until I discovered Plymouth and never looked back. My gin drinking is mostly limited to martinis which we have every Friday in our house. I also drink the very occasional negroni.
              Last edited by Dewesq55; May 7, 2021, 05:32 PM.

Comment

I am an admitted gin dummkopf. My experience with gin is limited to gin and tonic, and I just drink whatever is presented to me. I think I typically drink Bombay, but maybe Tanqueray.

EDIT: This seems to have added zero to the discussion, other than it made me think of having a drink.
                Last edited by crazytown3; May 6, 2021, 12:03 PM.

Comment

There's a small craft distillery in Oakhurst, CA, called Oakhurst Spirits, about 30 minutes from Yosemite National Park. They make a gin using wild juniper berries from the park. Apparently you're allowed to take a small amount of them out of the park. Not a lot, but just enough to flavor the gin, along with whatever other botanicals they use. And the gin is pretty awesome.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here